Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Curiosity

(Erie County)

Default Curiosity

Hopefully you all can help me with a few questions I have.

1) How can you open-carry a handgun at 18 without a LTCF (except in a vehicle, Philadelphia, and what not) while unable to purchase a handgun until age 21?

2) Is there any place in the Erie area that offers a good beginner's course to the basics?

3) From your experience, what would be a good selection of guns to try out before purchasing?

4) I've read the thread about the Warner Theater and Tulio Arena, but what other local businesses are against carrying in their establishments?

Sorry for the ignorance but I grew up in a family that was against firearms.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by WithKnuckles View Post

1) How can you open-carry a handgun at 18 without a LTCF (except in a vehicle, Philadelphia, and what not) while unable to purchase a handgun until age 21?
    You must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL.

You may own and possess a handgun at 18. There are legal ways to obtain a handgun for 18, 19, and 20 year olds, without going through an FFL. The most common would probably be a transfer from a parent, grandparent, or spouse.

IANAL

(Erie County)

Be lucky enough to be gifted by a parent or grandparent.

2) Is there any place in the Erie area that offers a good beginner's course to the basics?
    Yes...Bob's Gunshop: Route 99 just north of Mckean. Search for "Lethal Weapons Institute" and look for Handgun 101. Very basic, but includes range time.

3) From your experience, what would be a good selection of guns to try out before purchasing?
    Try a revolver and a Glock / XD / M&P...there are just so many options, aint it great

4) I've read the thread about the Warner Theater and Tulio Arena, but what other local businesses are against carrying in their establishments?
    I guess I missed those threads. The Warner was not posted last I knew and I haven't been to the Tulio in many years, so that's a guess. Tinseltown for one has some real small signs, that are easy to miss but I don't really know of any others in the area. Erie is pretty good that way.

Sorry for the ignorance but I grew up in a family that was against firearms.
    Glad you're trying to advance your knowledge base. The red pill is much better than the blue pill.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Erie County)

Join your local gun club or range. Not many people will have a problem with you trying their firearm, if you're respectful and show some interest, and many ranges have safety courses and "rental" guns.
    Bobs http://www.lethalweaponstraining.com/ is a very good one!
    If interested, I can probably get a couple for you to try. I have a Springfield XDm, my brother has a Glock, I can get a .357 or .44magnum in S&W, and I'm sure there a other members who will pony up.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Erie County)

For gun selection, there's a ton of different guns out there. Visit the local gun shops and see what feels good in your hand. Gem City Gun Club has a gun show / swap meet this coming weekend. There should be a good selection of guns there for you to check out. You could also check out the facilities. I joined Gem City a few years back and have been very happy there.

Let us know what you're looking at and we'll try go give some good guidance.

(Erie County)

I definitely appreciate the feedback. And now I've got a couple new questions.

1) Are there any things I should or should not do when I go to apply for my LTCF?

2) My friend is trying to get me to buy his H&K USP. Anyone have experience with a USP? Any pros and cons to share? I believe its a .45

Firing a .357 definitely is tempting.
    Again thank you much for all the information already given.

(Erie County)

I definitely appreciate the feedback. And now I've got a couple new questions.

1) Are there any things I should or should not do when I go to apply for my LTCF?
    Just be sure to have the name address and phone number of two references with you. Merski's office is very 2A friendly.

Here is the sheriff's site: Erie Co Sheriff

2) My friend is trying to get me to buy his H&K USP. Anyone have experience with a USP? Any pros and cons to share? I believe its a .45
    Sorry can't help with that one...other than the H&K's have a very good reputation.

Firing a .357 definitely is tempting.
    Again thank you much for all the information already given.

And .357 seems a bit much for a beginner....but I know what you mean.
    Let us know how the new process goes. I'm curious about what his turn around time is now...it used to take only a week to ten days.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Erie County)

Here is the application you need to fill out for your LTCF:
    http://eriecountygov.org/dept/sherif...ECLTC10_08.pdf

+1 on the HK USP having a good reputation, but they are expensive. Used in good condition will go for around $650. Check Gun Broker and Bud's to see how much the used guns are selling for. Have you shot the gun?

(Erie County)

I'll definitely apply starting next year, I'm still 20. But my friend is going to take me down to his family's house in Cam. Springs. He and his dad are supposed to have a few different loadouts for me to try.