Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Motorcycle help, any experts out there?

So I finally took the plunge into my first motorcycle. I've always wanted to learn, but until now, never had the guts to do it. So I went and got my permit and am signed up for MSP next month, but in the mean time, I have been trying to get the bike up and running.

The bike is a 2000 Ninja 250 that I paid next to nothing for off a friend. It only has 8k on it and needs very little once we get it running as far as cosmetics. The bike ran fine until it was parked about 6 months before I bought it. We changed out the gas, oil, air filter, spark plugs, and drained the carb bowls. The battery is a new gel type and the diagnostics built into the tender says it's fine. When you try to start it, it sounds like it wants to start, it just won't. When we tore everything apart, I did notice that apparently the bike had been run without an air filter for an unknown period of time. I verified fuel lines from the tank to the petcock were fine, air was being sucked in properly, and that the spark plugs were sparking and gapped properly. All the fluids are new except for the brake fluid, but the bike still wont start. I am assuming in that case it means that somewhere in the mixing of the three there is a snafu (i.e. the carbs, maybe they need cleaned ?)

Anyway, i'm stumped and really want to get this bike running in time for me to ride once I get my license. Does anyone have any experience or know any good local shops I could tow it to in order to have someone look at it that knows more than I do? Any suggestions on more things I could try myself?

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Motorcycle help, any experts out there?

One word...

Suzuki...

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

Clean and adjust the carb(s). Check vacuum lines. Hard to diagnose with such little info, but that is where I would start.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    One word...

Suzuki...

I will fix your typo... Harley Davidson

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I will fix your typo... Harley Davidson
    Hehehe

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Northampton County)

Carb jets may be gummed up.

Clean the carbs thoroughly. Use a one strand of copper wire to declog the jets.

There are directions on how to do this on the interwebs.

Run some Seafoam through the first tank of gas after cleaning carbs.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Allegheny County)

Member Lycanthrope helped me with my 250 a while back, but I am not sure if he has the time anymore. Also, working on those is very tight.

Actually, if you are interested I have most of a parts engine sitting in the barn. Let me know if you need anything from it.

~Brian

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, i've been trying to avoid having to clean the carbs. I'm sure i'm mechanically inclined enough to do it, and I have found detailed instructions, just scared i'll screw something up because i've never done it before. I've been asking around and hoping that someone would have experience and the time to help, but i'm having no luck so far. I'd much prefer to watch someone else do it the first time then screw something up.

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Dog View Post
    Member Lycanthrope helped me with my 250 a while back, but I am not sure if he has the time anymore. Also, working on those is very tight.

Actually, if you are interested I have most of a parts engine sitting in the barn. Let me know if you need anything from it.

~Brian
    Thanks for the heads up, but IIRC Lycan is from new castle which is about an hour away from me. That's a heck of a road trip to help someone. I'll let you know if I run into anything that I need. Thanks!!

— James Earl Jones

(Allegheny County)

Clean the carbs and pay particular attention to the enriching circuit. The jet and passage for it is in the float bowl. A fine piece of wire can be used to make sure it is clear. A blast of carb cleaner through a tube and through the circuit will confirm it is open. The is a common place to get plugged up and makes starting difficult as it makes the mixture rich enough for the engine to start and run when cold.
    The Lord Bless You

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast