Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mifflin County)

Default License cross referanced?

On another forum it was brought up that some states cross referance driver/ vehicle owner and concealed carry license. When a police person pulls some one over and calls in the vehicle ID he gets back who owns the vehicle. Does that person have a license to drive it and whether that person has a license to carry a firearm. Does this happen in Pa. also?

mark61
    Last edited by mark61; April 16th, 2011 at 11:48 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: License cross referanced?

The LTCF is not part of the PennDOT driver's license records. However the LEO can check the LTCF database to see if you're licensed before getting out of his car.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    On another forum it was brought up that some states cross referance driver/ vehicle owner and concealed concealed carry license. When a police person pulls some one over and calls in the vehicle ID he gets back who owns the vehicle. Does that person have a license to drive it and whether that person has a license to carry a firearm. Does this happen in Pa. also?

mark61
    that is a issue i do not want, i would like it to be kept separate from your DL on if you have a LTCF or not. to many potential bad situations getting worse

(Mifflin County)

I am wondering if it is already cross referanced such as it is in other states. Does anyone actually know what all the LEO sees when they input someone's info? For all we know they could be seeing your baptismal certificate if the state has it cross referanced online....

mark61

I Know in Florida its not. I took the CWFL class, the instructor is a Deputy sheriff. I asked that question.

(Bucks County)

This has come up here before. What was mentioned then by a resident LEO was that the officer had to run a separate inquiry to determine LTCF status.

An issue i have with some other states that do link the 2...is that it "pops" up on the screen the same way as felony wants.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    However the LEO can check the LTCF database to see if you're licensed before getting out of his car.
    Of course our General Assembly never even authorized them to be able to do that.

They've basically been turning what was set out as a verification database into an automatically accessible registry of licensees.

I just turned in a report to some of our representatives about that whole mess.

(Centre County)

When a vehicle is stopped in pa by a Leo, they run a 10-29 through dispatch based on your name, dl #, and date of birth. Unless this isn't a normal traffic stop, if the ltcf isn't connected to your dl #, then it never comes up. The Leo will never know unless they ask and/or you tell them.
    Again, this is for a typical traffic stop for speeding etc.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    When a vehicle is stopped in pa by a Leo, they run a 10-29 through dispatch based on your name, dl #, and date of birth. Unless this isn't a normal traffic stop, if the ltcf isn't connected to your dl #, then it never comes up. The Leo will never know unless they ask and/or you tell them.
    Again, this is for a typical traffic stop for speeding etc.
    Or you tell him:

- Well, when I reached down to pick up my bag of crack, my gun fell off
    my lap and got lodged between the brake pedal and gas pedal, forcing me
    to speed out of control.

http://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cg...say.to.cop.txt
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    I am wondering if it is already cross referanced such as it is in other states. Does anyone actually know what all the LEO sees when they input someone's info? For all we know they could be seeing your baptismal certificate if the state has it cross referanced online....

mark61
    Stop being paranoid.... When you get pulled over he sees your registration first. IE: who owns the vehicle, if its expired, and suspensions...

Then once he comes to the vehicle and asks for your DL that will be run. All he sees then is if you're current and up to date, not suspended, and if you have any NCIC warrants(lets hope you don't).

Very VERY rarely do that ask that a LTCF check be run on an individual. That happens if
    A: They see a firearm
    B:Perform a search and again, find a firearm
    C: You give him your LTCF as identification

There is NOTHING that is "cross referenced" with your drivers license other than NCIC warrants... and those tend to be ran via name and DOB, not DL number.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast