Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SA 1911 Mag Question

I just got a new SA Range Officer & took it for trip to the range yesterday. I took 100 rounds of my SD reloads & 100 of practice reloads. The gun itself worked well & I'm very happy with my choice. I do need to do something with that front sight, though. It's OK shooting in daylight, but pretty much disappears in low light.

Anyway, it came with two mags. One was a standard looking seven round mag with no markings, that's been working fine. The other was an eight round with ACT-MAG printed on it, that had several FTF's with both kinds of ammo.

My question is- The gun came with a SA Loaded coupon for some discount gear. Does anyone know if the seven round mags offered in this deal, ($12 discounted from $23.50), are any good? Or should I just skip them & get McCormick, Wilson, or another brand of premium mag. Considering I'd like to have 4-5 spare mags, there's a huge price difference.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: SA 1911 Mag Question

Great question, that I will be interested in hearing the answer to. I've got a Range Officer on order. Where did you manage to find one in stock? They seem rather elusive around here (Lancaster County).

Also, I thought the RO came with 2 Springfield 7 round mags? Sounds like someone did a switcheroo on you.

Try spraying some oil in the mag and working a bit. I've had some that were dry or had something on the inside. Some Rem got them working. Then I've had others that were a POS that went in the trash.

(Delaware County)

Some one had to have swapped out that ACT mag. I can't see a Springer leaving the factory with that mag, ever. They probably grabbed the original mag and put the "troublesome" mag in the case.

Once you leave the store, you bought it. Unless you know the owner really well, it's yours.

I got 7 of the "loaded coupon" mags. At first they wouldn't eject from the gun. Polished them up with a little 1500 paper and a light coat of oil,,,,,,,,, they've been good to go. They're a steal and work fine.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I just got a new SA Range Officer & took it for trip to the range yesterday. I took 100 rounds of my SD reloads & 100 of practice reloads. The gun itself worked well & I'm very happy with my choice. I do need to do something with that front sight, though. It's OK shooting in daylight, but pretty much disappears in low light.

Anyway, it came with two mags. One was a standard looking seven round mag with no markings, that's been working fine. The other was an eight round with ACT-MAG printed on it, that had several FTF's with both kinds of ammo.

My question is- The gun came with a SA Loaded coupon for some discount gear. Does anyone know if the seven round mags offered in this deal, ($12 discounted from $23.50), are any good? Or should I just skip them & get McCormick, Wilson, or another brand of premium mag. Considering I'd like to have 4-5 spare mags, there's a huge price difference.
    I have a bunch of the Springfield mags and they work fine enough for range work. However, when I carry my 1911 I also carry Tripp Research or Wilson mags. I have never had a single problem with either the Tripp or the Wilsons. I actually prefer the follower on the Tripp mags, but I only have a couple; hence the Wilson mags.

(Delaware County)

Thunderr is right, if you bought the gun new, it should have 2 factory mags with it.
    I bought a RO in Dec and it came with factory mags. My mags work fine for range work. If you going to carry it, invest in other mags. I bought a couple Chip McCormick 8rd mags that also work well.
    Call SA, I bet they will send you a couple new mags. Or call the you bought it from and tell him that Act mag isn't factory equipment.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Monroe County)

I have a bunch of SA 7 rounders (black) and never a problem.

(Monroe County)

1911's are the most mag sensitive guns ever made, the release point on the mag varies from brand to brand and often lot to lot. Your gun should of come with two SA marked mags, but they were probably not made be Springfield (come to think about, it nither was the gun).
    Finding the perfect mag for an 1911 is a matter of trial and error. Good Luck

Thanks everyone. I planned on getting a couple of the SA mags for range use & a couple Chip McCormick or Wilson mags for carry. I'm going to contact SA about the bastard mag that came with the gun.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Franklin County)

I've got a couple 1911's and an assortment of different mags. I now spend the extra money and buy the Wilson mags and that ends all feed problems. I believe 1 mag you can rely on is better than a couple you can't. Just my opinion.