Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Buying firearms from another state?

I was recently down to our family farm in Oklahoma and lucky for me the Tulsa gun show was in town(WOW). My dad and I went with a few of the locals we know and I was a bit surprised to learn that if they bought from a "private seller" there was no paperwork at all. The seller didn't even ask for ID.

Now my question is, am able to purchase firearms that way when I am in Oklahoma? I don't think I can but just want to hear your opinions. I have been thinking about this since I was there. My biggest concern of no paperwork is what if the gun I buy is stolen or, worse yet, been used in a crime.

Thanks in advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Buying firearms from another state?

You cannot buy that way in another state, it would be an interstate transfer because YOU are from another state. Your biggest concern is that if you do it, you would be committing a federal felony.. Federal law says that long guns must be transferred at a FFL in any state. Handguns must be through a FFL in the buy's home state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Thank you, didn't think it would be possible for me to buy that way. I was just intrigued by the idea that Oklahoma residents can purchase firearms with out any type of registration.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    Thank you, didn't think it would be possible for me to buy that way. I was just intrigued by the idea that Oklahoma residents can purchase firearms with out any type of registration.
    30+ other states can do private FTF transfers without any sort of paperwork.

Only 5 have registration of handguns, the other 15 or so require a background check, permit to purchase/possess, FID/FOID card, recorded transfer, etc.

http://forum.pafoa.org/attachment.ph...6&d=1302876657
    Last edited by knight0334; April 15th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Cumberland County)

One more quick question, I plan to move to the farm in Oklahoma in a few years what, if anything, do I need to do to transfer my current firearms to take them with me?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    One more quick question, I plan to move to the farm in Oklahoma in a few years what, if anything, do I need to do to transfer my current firearms to take them with me?
    Nothing. Oklahoma doesn't have a gun registration, nor does it require you to have a FID/FOID card. A "transfer" is of ownership, you aren't exchanging ownership. And since there is no registration or FID/FOID cards for OK - you do nothing.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Nothing. Oklahoma doesn't have a gun registration, nor does it require you to have a FID/FOID card. A "transfer" is of ownership, you aren't exchanging ownership. And since there is no registration or FID/FOID cards for OK - you do nothing.
    Thanks again, +rep for the answers