Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default today at the tax prep place...

Yeah I always wait till near the end, hate doing my taxes, and always get a tax prep place. My tax place is in PA and the man doing the work entering in my #'s forgot to switch the state to MD, so he came up with me owing money to PA LOL. I corrected him and he changed it to MD and I owe nothing to MD, so I had to say " that's weird since MD is usually considered the TAX state, not PA". To that he said that MD does have its bad stuff, LIKE IT'S GUN LAWS...LOL. So I said "yeah, they suck!", then he tells me he is from WV ( there was a car in the lot with WV tags, must be his), but has been living in PA for a short bit lately. I ask him if he has seen anyone open carrying in WV and he tells me no and that when he got his WV conceal carry lisc the issuing body ( sheriff office?) said to keep it concealed and bla bla bla, to which I said " yeah they usually tell you that even if you are in an open carry state". He then says " PA is an open carry state too", and I tell him that yeah I know, then he goes on about some story a LEO told him about a guy OCing in WV who had the cops called on him, and it was just open carry and wasted officers time and bla bla bla. Then he says it's not advisable to open carry in PA either, but I tell him that I have been to a bunch of PA open carry gatherings and never saw any cops, and sure some people notice but none have ever looked scared or anything.

I decided to not get into it with him with some CC vs OC argument and asked him instead what gun he usually carries, to which he pulled his shirt up and took his gun from the IWB holster! At least he handled it properly and put it back in. He said it was an M and P 9 compact, I think. I decided to not tell him about my carrying, but I sure found it interesting that he was carrying on the job. Laid back place though, when I walked in I had 2 pug dogs very interested in all my interesting scents, and when I sat down to fill out a form, one jumped on the chair next to me and put it's front paws on my leg. I thought it was pretty cute and cuddled the dog a little bit. It made snorting noises like my goofy cattle dog makes.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Adams County)

Default Re: today at the tax prep place...

Thats not the place to pull your gun out and show it to someone,i carry everyday and i dont agree with pulling your handgun out in a place like that to show.NOT A GOOD MOVE

(York County)

I'm a CC er, so I tend to agree. I'm also aware that many OC, and while I don't agree with their opinion on the matter, I hold no grudge and agree it's their right to do so. It doesn't really bother me one way or another, just isn't my way.

So, let me play devil's advocate: what if the guy WAS OCing? Whats the dif? If you're going to show it when carrying, who cares if you get it out to show from its CC hideout?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    I'm a CC er, so I tend to agree. I'm also aware that many OC, and while I don't agree with their opinion on the matter, I hold no grudge and agree it's their right to do so. It doesn't really bother me one way or another, just isn't my way.

So, let me play devil's advocate: what if the guy WAS OCing? Whats the dif? If you're going to show it when carrying, who cares if you get it out to show from its CC hideout?
    The difference is when open carrying its in a holster. The OP said the guy took it out of the holster which is not a good idea open carrying or not.

Yeah, what got me is him taking it out of the holster, he had no need to do that. I had only asked what he prefers to carry, not to see it, but I guess some men have to be show offs to women or something. I've seen this behavior at a couple OC gatherings too. This old guy wanted to show me his revolver, I told him to put that thing back in the holster and he did. Then some guys of younger ages were ogling some guy's 10mm at another, and the 10mm's owner cleared the gun and these guys were huddled together looking at it. Lastly, at yet another gathering some guys were popping mags to show eachother what self defense ammo they had.

I feel like everyone's mother at these things. Next one of these I am going to have to announce ahead of time that no guns leave holsters, and no mags are to be popped, unless there is a dire situation requiring drawing, firing, and mag changes. If you have a spare mag in a pouch, I suppose that's ok to show. This stuff needs to stop before some get wild ideas like bringing belt fed machine guns to meets.
    LOL, I am a woman...

I don't see anything wrong with it(if done properly). but that's just me.
    FJB

(Philadelphia County)

wheres the danger in popping a mag from a holstered gun? Im not saying its a good choice in the sense of looking casual and not scaring the sheeple, but i really dont see a danger with it.

It's only if sheeple are around, they could do a MWAG call saying "he is touching the gun and waving something around". Since these are public places with other people around, you should try to be mindful. The tax prep guy, it was just me and him in the room, so I guess he thought it was ok, and he wasn't being a total jackass, he was handling it safely.

I was back there today getting my paperwork and he was the only one there, so we chatted about guns and carrying some more, and about local bank robberies done by some slime from Baltimore ( the robbers have been caught). He said he OC's a .45acp or a .357 when he walks in wooded areas, due to bears ( WV). Yeah he admitted you need a quick draw for bears ( I didn't want to get into a caliber/+P+ debate though). I may have put some seeds of thought on OC in his head, he seems like a smart guy, running on my wavelength. He doesn't come onto internet gun boards, so he doesn't know all the stuff we all talk about all the time.
    LOL, I am a woman...