Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Construction companies and 2A

I started work for a new(to me) company from Ohio yesterday. Part of the paperwork i had to fill out was their concealed weapons policy. Which of course outlawed them and their presence in my vehicle.

I have never run into this in my eleven years in the trade. I was just wondering if anybody else in the construction trades had this happen to them.(I know this is common in other jobs).

Since the job is in Pa. I should start OCing, The paperwork didn't mention that at all.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Construction companies and 2A

The PA company I worked for did not have a weapons policy until about 3 years ago or so. I never knew exactly when it was implemented and in the course of conversation with my safety director (we were talking guns), I said I was glad our company did not have restrictions on carry. He informed me there was a "no gun" policy and when it took effect.

My super knew I carried and ignored it. He actually asked me if I was "hot" when we went to look at a job we were bidding in a low rent district. I always tried to conceal completely.

Many general contractors also specify a "no weapons" policy for sub contractors. The only places I didn't carry was in Govt facilities or school jobs. A VA police captain told me they were not hard nosed if someone was found out as long as they took the weapon to their car and passed the "attitude test", but that was only one facility. The guy told me he could fingerprint me for my Utah carry permit (they used a reddish ink that turned black when it was heated--never saw that before)
    I guess it's all a matter of how much risk you wanted to deal with and the consequences. I always have a lockable car safe in my car and at the site. As a supervisor, I had the ability to have gang boxes with personal locks to secure a handgun if I had to be drug tested and they checked waistband and ankles.

my story and I'm sticking to it.

(Delaware County)

no you just need a more compact gun! with a super concealable holster! (not saying you should break company policy :-D )

(Bucks County)

This is the exact reason I picked up a Ruger LCP this weekend It will be a bit strange since I'm use to carrying a Glock 30. I needed something easier to conceal with the warmer weather coming. Went out today and got a pocket holster and IWB holster to see which will work better. I work in the worst parts of Philly so I refuse to go in unarmed.

(Allegheny County)

Working construction poses different concealment issues than does a variety of different jobs.
    For myself, I had to be able to conceal during work which included working while kneeling, climbing up and down ladders all day, crawling through dirt crawl spaces, above hospital ceilings and in trenches 15 feet deep.

While working at Waynesburg University , I got a bit complacent and carried IWB. It was cool so a cover shirt was adequate until we had to unload some large boxes and get them onto carts. While bending over, my pistol was exposed. Our pipe insulator joked about it but luckily no one else caught it.

I carried for probably 5 or 6 years with an ankle rig (DeSantis Apache). The velcro holster fit snugly right on top of my 8" work boot without any discomfort even working 12 hour days occasionally.
    I've replaced this holster 3 times so far but it never worked loose even when I had to run a bit.

As I posted earlier, everyone has their own risk factor of being found out and the consequences for doing so. I never felt it would adversely affect my ability to get another job if it came to that but everyone is different and if that is a risk you can't take, then my advice is to not do so.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Working construction poses different concealment issues than does a variety of different jobs.
    For myself, I had to be able to conceal during work which included working while kneeling, climbing up and down ladders all day, crawling through dirt crawl spaces, above hospital ceilings and in trenches 15 feet deep.

While working at Waynesburg University , I got a bit complacent and carried IWB. It was cool so a cover shirt was adequate until we had to unload some large boxes and get them onto carts. While bending over, my pistol was exposed. Our pipe insulator joked about it but luckily no one else caught it.

I carried for probably 5 or 6 years with an ankle rig (DeSantis Apache). The velcro holster fit snugly right on top of my 8" work boot without any discomfort even working 12 hour days occasionally.
    I've replaced this holster 3 times so far but it never worked loose even when I had to run a bit.

As I posted earlier, everyone has their own risk factor of being found out and the consequences for doing so. I never felt it would adversely affect my ability to get another job if it came to that but everyone is different and if that is a risk you can't take, then my advice is to not do so.
    I might have to try a ankle rig also. I was hanging some sheetrock a few weeks ago and one of the apprentices saw my gun. He didn't say anything till we were at lunch and nobody was around. I usually tuck part of my T-shirt under the belt-clip so my shirt can't ride up exposing the firearm. I don't want to take anymore chances. Luckily the apprentice wasn't anti-gun and he was very cool and didn't let anyone else know. One of my co-workers was shot and died about 2 yrs ago and multiply co-workers have been mugged so like I said I will not go the "hood" unarmed. Times are tough in the construction world and this is the only gig in town.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike231 View Post
    I might have to try a ankle rig also. I was hanging some sheetrock a few weeks ago and one of the apprentices saw my gun. He didn't say anything till we were at lunch and nobody was around. I usually tuck part of my T-shirt under the belt-clip so my shirt can't ride up exposing the firearm. I don't want to take anymore chances. Luckily the apprentice wasn't anti-gun and he was very cool and didn't let anyone else know. One of my co-workers was shot and died about 2 yrs ago and multiply co-workers have been mugged so like I said I will not go the "hood" unarmed. Times are tough in the construction world and this is the only gig in town.
    I say go with whatever concealment works best for you, try it out before you go to work and have a friend / wife see if they can spot it while you are acting out what you normally would do at work.

but the ruger lcp seems like a fantastic choice.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike231 View Post
    You will print wearing only a t shirt, especially bending over.
    Coveralls may work for pocket carry but I don't like them. I pretty much use my body to move stuff and feel boxes or equipment ramming into my pocket carried Kahr Mags ( I carry 2 --7 rndrs left front pocket).
    Ankle carry gives me the deepest concealment and rarely interferes with working.

Good luck with that