Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Laws for shooting on my property.

Hi, does anyone know the laws for target shooting on my property. I live in Wayne county in the woods. I have a few neighbors (not shooting anywhere near or towards any house's) and no one has an issue except one that is ~1/8-1/4 of a mile away. I shoot at most once a week usually around 4pm . So I am not shooting at unreasonable times or excessively. So I am just looking to find out the law before she calls the police.
    Thanks, Matt

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

you have to go all the way down to the township level to determine this
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Wayne County)

Ok Thanks, I will do that.

(Monroe County)

Yeah every township has different ordnances regarding shooting on your own property.

State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.

Up where i live in Monroe, i shoot in my backyard all the time, none of my neighbors complain one of whom is a retired NYPD cop. I just keep it reasonable , no late night or early morning shooting.

When my Niece and Nephew comes over from the Iron Curtain they have fun shooting all kinds of Guns in my Backyard, some of my neighbors shoot too in thier property.

Stop by the Township office and ask them , they will tell you right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    . . .
    State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.
    . . .
    I'm not aware of a state law that prohibits casual target shooting (non-hunting) within 500 feet of a dwelling. Safety zones apply to activities regulated by the Game Code. Target shooting in your own back yard isn't a Game Code matter.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lycoming County)

I am familiar with the 150 yard "Safety Zone" when hunting, but what is the State Law that you are referring to? Heck, it is not even unlawful to shoot across a highway, if done safely.

I am just curious where the above comes from.

Be safe (and accurate).

Scott

ETA: Damn Gunlawyer, do you ever sleep?
    Last edited by Swarner793; April 15th, 2011 at 02:54 AM.

(Wayne County)

One thing most are not aware of is you must have a appropriate backstop. If you do not and are using someone else's property ( hill, etc.) you could be charged for trespassing. Sounds crazy but I had a issue with a neighbor using my property as a backstop and spoke with an attorney about it.

(Monroe County)

Yeah every township has different ordnances regarding shooting on your own property.

Up where i live in Monroe, i shoot in my backyard all the time, none of my neighbors complain one of whom is a retired NYPD cop. I just keep it reasonable , no late night or early morning shooting.

When my Niece and Nephew comes over from the Iron Curtain they have fun shooting all kinds of Guns in my Backyard, some of my neighbors shoot too in thier property.

Stop by the Township office and ask them , they will tell you right off the bat.
    once again its dependent on the township, not the county, in some cases its even down to the area in the county you live in (ie: PCP has "laws" on shooting" which don't apply outside the ghetto.

I would suggest not just asking someone but getting it in writing in case your neighbors decide to call the state police on ya
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by roberts257ai View Post
    One thing most are not aware of is you must have a appropriate backstop. If you do not and are using someone else's property ( hill, etc.) you could be charged for trespassing. Sounds crazy but I had a issue with a neighbor using my property as a backstop and spoke with an attorney about it.
    How would this be trespassing?

I can see it being destruction of private property, but as long as they never cross onto your land... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    How would this be trespassing?

I can see it being destruction of private property, but as long as they never cross onto your land... ?
    No, "trespass" includes any unwanted and unprivileged intrusion onto your property, by person or pet or thing. It's a trespass when your neighbor lets his dog crap on your grass, but good luck getting police interested.

If I throw lawn darts onto your property, that's a trespass. Same with bullets zinging into your trees (other statutes may apply as well, such as reckless endangerment.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast