Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperj86 View Post
    Thanks, I was not aware of this. I am going to be building a backstop when it . There is know houses for at least a couple miles behind my house, but it still worries me. Any tips on a backstop? I was just going fasten ~10 ft logs between two trees. Not the best but i cant get a large quantity of dirt back in the woods.

If you take a look at the game commission range, that will give you an idea on how to construct your range. The NRA also has a book called the Range Source Book that gives your detailed instructions on how to build all types of ranges.

You need to keep your bullets contained on your range. If one gets away and hurts or kills someone you will be in a lot of trouble

A proper range should have side baffles, roof baffles and ground baffles. I use the same material for my back stop that the Game Commission uses for theirs ,screenings from the gravel pit. The screening are very effective at stopping bullets in there tracks. The back stop should be at least 6' to 8' high mostly of dirt and 1' - 2' of screening on top of the dirt. You will also need to clean the bullets out of your back stop occasionally to prevent hot spots that will ricochet bullets back at you.

You need to check with your township to see if it's ok to shoot and or construct a range on your property. I'm in Sterling township and have 30 acres commercial do anything I want too type property so I'm covered, I also checked with my township.
    Diane Boling NRA Chief Range Safety Officer - NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

(Wayne County)

If I get any blow downs I can't use for fire wood I use them to build my back stop and don't forget to pile on the fall leaves. They work great and when they get water soaked and start to rot, they act like flesh.

ive target shot on several friends properties and once upon a time my own.

not sure the legalities of it. we usually tag targets to trees or haystacks. and were talkin acrege not somebody with a nearby neighbor.

(Wayne County)

I'm in Wayne county time to time and I shoot in my woods all the time.
    I personally shoot into a hill but next summer I'm going to work on building a better range.

Last winter I was playing "banjos" with someone in wayne county. Never saw them but we heard each other.

I would shoot, they would shoot, I would shoot twice, they would shoot twice.
    I shot full auto...they didn't

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yeah every township has different ordnances regarding shooting on your own property.

State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.

Up where i live in Monroe, i shoot in my backyard all the time, none of my neighbors complain one of whom is a retired NYPD cop. I just keep it reasonable , no late night or early morning shooting.

When my Niece and Nephew comes over from the Iron Curtain they have fun shooting all kinds of Guns in my Backyard, some of my neighbors shoot too in thier property.

Stop by the Township office and ask them , they will tell you right off the bat.

I wish I could...
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123