Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamlin, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Laws for shooting on my property.

    Hi, does anyone know the laws for target shooting on my property. I live in Wayne county in the woods. I have a few neighbors (not shooting anywhere near or towards any house's) and no one has an issue except one that is ~1/8-1/4 of a mile away. I shoot at most once a week usually around 4pm . So I am not shooting at unreasonable times or excessively. So I am just looking to find out the law before she calls the police.
    Thanks, Matt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    21846

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    you have to go all the way down to the township level to determine this
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

    Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamlin, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Ok Thanks, I will do that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Henryville, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Posts
    3,584
    Rep Power
    26027

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Yeah every township has different ordnances regarding shooting on your own property.

    State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.

    Up where i live in Monroe, i shoot in my backyard all the time, none of my neighbors complain one of whom is a retired NYPD cop. I just keep it reasonable , no late night or early morning shooting.

    When my Niece and Nephew comes over from the Iron Curtain they have fun shooting all kinds of Guns in my Backyard, some of my neighbors shoot too in thier property.

    Stop by the Township office and ask them , they will tell you right off the bat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,493
    Rep Power
    21474861

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    . . .
    State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.
    . . .
    I'm not aware of a state law that prohibits casual target shooting (non-hunting) within 500 feet of a dwelling. Safety zones apply to activities regulated by the Game Code. Target shooting in your own back yard isn't a Game Code matter.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Free seminar 7/18/19 in Quakertown: https://www.senatormensch.com/concealed-carry-seminar/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Unityville, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    1,828
    Rep Power
    2401530

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.
    I am familiar with the 150 yard "Safety Zone" when hunting, but what is the State Law that you are referring to? Heck, it is not even unlawful to shoot across a highway, if done safely.

    I am just curious where the above comes from.

    Be safe (and accurate).

    Scott

    ETA: Damn Gunlawyer, do you ever sleep?
    Last edited by Swarner793; April 15th, 2011 at 02:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    bidwill hill, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    46219

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    One thing most are not aware of is you must have a appropriate backstop. If you do not and are using someone else's property ( hill, etc.) you could be charged for trespassing. Sounds crazy but I had a issue with a neighbor using my property as a backstop and spoke with an attorney about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    21846

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yeah every township has different ordnances regarding shooting on your own property.

    State law only requires that you do not shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling, or accross a roadway, after that the Townships set their own rules.

    Up where i live in Monroe, i shoot in my backyard all the time, none of my neighbors complain one of whom is a retired NYPD cop. I just keep it reasonable , no late night or early morning shooting.

    When my Niece and Nephew comes over from the Iron Curtain they have fun shooting all kinds of Guns in my Backyard, some of my neighbors shoot too in thier property.

    Stop by the Township office and ask them , they will tell you right off the bat.
    once again its dependent on the township, not the county, in some cases its even down to the area in the county you live in (ie: PCP has "laws" on shooting" which don't apply outside the ghetto.

    I would suggest not just asking someone but getting it in writing in case your neighbors decide to call the state police on ya
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

    Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    21846

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Quote Originally Posted by roberts257ai View Post
    One thing most are not aware of is you must have a appropriate backstop. If you do not and are using someone else's property ( hill, etc.) you could be charged for trespassing. Sounds crazy but I had a issue with a neighbor using my property as a backstop and spoke with an attorney about it.
    How would this be trespassing?

    I can see it being destruction of private property, but as long as they never cross onto your land... ?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

    Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,493
    Rep Power
    21474861

    Default Re: Laws for shooting on my property.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    How would this be trespassing?

    I can see it being destruction of private property, but as long as they never cross onto your land... ?
    No, "trespass" includes any unwanted and unprivileged intrusion onto your property, by person or pet or thing. It's a trespass when your neighbor lets his dog crap on your grass, but good luck getting police interested.

    If I throw lawn darts onto your property, that's a trespass. Same with bullets zinging into your trees (other statutes may apply as well, such as reckless endangerment.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Free seminar 7/18/19 in Quakertown: https://www.senatormensch.com/concealed-carry-seminar/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shooting on my Property?
    By MMH in forum Rifles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
  2. Laws regarding CC/OC on VA property?
    By shefearsnothing in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM
  3. PA Property Laws
    By J8300 in forum General
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: April 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
  4. Shooting on my own property?
    By heyyodaddio in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
  5. Shooting on your own property
    By greyhouse in forum General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: January 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops