Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: under 21 open carry of a long gun (on foot)

And once we get the OC of rifles accepted, I won't go outside without my precious AR.

(Lancaster County)

Yea if you open carry a handgun theres a chance the public may just think "cop" and not mind it, but an AK is probably going to invoke the thought of "mass murderer/impending shooting spree". As the other posters said, people will probably freak out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by idpasharpshooter View Post
    i'm just trying to figure out how to carry a handgun on top of my coat i can defenatly see your point about the Kalashnikov maybe a 12 gauge would be a better choice
    You're kidding right?

ok, so it's cold out now, and time to use a coat.. that's the primary reason and you feel the need to sling a rifle or shotgun on your back downtown to use as a self-defense weapon?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in anyway anti-OC, as of matter of fact just the opposite if you look throughout my posts, and I do so myself quite often... but with a pistol type of side-arm. Aside from the fact that you're going to get more than unnecessary attention from sheeple and LEOs alike, it's not exactly tactically in your best interest.

Unless you're under 21, why not just get a LTCF? Even for OCing, you don't have to worry about having a jacket occasionally covering it. If you are under 21, if you still want to OC, I'd definitely suggest just getting a pistol bought by mom/pop.

EDIT: woops, forgot the thread title as I read the posts - ok, so you are under 21. Well then I'd just suggest as I said - get a pistol and OWB or shoulder holster. Forget the long gun idea.
    Last edited by thirtyonebravo; December 21st, 2007 at 01:18 AM.

(Lycoming County)

yea to clear up any question i'm 20
    i can see what everyone means about carrying a rifle and i agree all the uneducated dumb asses would freak out so a handgun would be my best bet i still haven't figured out a good way to carry it over top of my coat though

(Montgomery County)

Please, please, please, do not carry a rifle or shotgun in public. While it is your right, it will only create a bad image of what a law-abiding gun owner is. The media will have a field day with that one.

Proud member of:

(Lehigh County)

What would happen if there was a more than one person carrying rifle or shotgun in public? Say a group of people OCing rifles and shotguns? Its been done with pistols.

(Venango County)

It all depends on the time of the year and how big your town is. I don't know what your town is like, but here, carrying a rifle or shotty thru town to go hunting wouldn't cause so much of a scene...now an EBR, might, but I've seen people walking with long guns (on regular slings, not tactical of course) walking to go hunting.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Snyder County)

If you plan on doing this in Avis, I doubt you will have a problem. I mean, come on...its Avis.

But I really question your reasoning for doing so? If it is self defense, a rifle or shotgun is a poor choice for one-on-one encounters. I would think that good training would be time better spent.

Also, I am curious to know who you are since I graduated from JS and know tons of people in Avis. PM if you want to chat...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2496 View Post
    What would happen if there was a more than one person carrying rifle or shotgun in public? Say a group of people OCing rifles and shotguns? Its been done with pistols.
    I had a friend in the Army that pulled a burial detail once in West Texas. They were all in civies on the way from Ft Hood and stopped at a diner for lunch. They couldn't leave their weapons unattended and because of time constraints, they could not leave the weapons in the van and eat in shifts. My friend said there were some raised eyebrows when they all walked in to this little restaurant carrying M16s. The detail's NCOIC quickly explained the situation to the management and other customers, so the cops weren’t called.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SSCUSTER View Post
    I had a friend in the Army that pulled a burial detail once in West Texas. They were all in civies on the way from Ft Hood and stopped at a diner for lunch. They couldn't leave their weapons unattended and because of time constraints, they could not leave the weapons in the van and eat in shifts. My friend said there were some raised eyebrows when they all walked in to this little restaurant carrying M16s. The detail's NCOIC quickly explained the situation to the management and other customers, so the cops weren’t called.
    yeah but they were in uniform.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast