Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default What determines AK accuracy?

What is most crucial in determining the accuracy of a given AK-47?

I ask this because most AKs in general, even rather cheap like the WASR-10s that many people trash, tend not to jam and go bang every time. However, their clearly seems to be a difference, in the hands of most shooters, between the accuracy of a WASR-10 and a Norinco MAK-90 or an AK-47 built from a Saiga. As such, what is responsible for this difference? Does it come down to the quality of a particular part, such as the receiver? The barrel? Or is it due to something else?

If someone with more info about these guns I could pontificate, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stud40111; April 13th, 2011 at 06:45 PM.

Default Re: What determines AK accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    What is most crucial in determining the accuracy of a given AK-47?

I ask this because most AKs in general, even rather cheap like the WASR-10s that many people trash, tend not to jam and go bang every time. However, their clearly seems to be a difference, in the hands of most shooters, between the accuracy of a WASR-10 and a Norinco MAK-90 or an AK-47 built from a Saiga. As such, what is responsible for this difference? Does it come down to the quality of a particular part, such as the receiver? The barrel? Or is it due to something else?

If someone with more info about these guns I could pontificate, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Im not an expert but i am loading for the ak and i am using .310 bullets i think most of the steel wolf type is 308. Of couse one should slug ones barrel to be sure of dia.

(Philadelphia County)

The round determines the accuracy. AKs in .223 shoots very accurate.

(Allegheny County)

The point has been made of the AK's twist rate being suspect. Considering the 1-10 twist will stabilize 200+gr projectiles, commonly used in the Mosin... but yet the AK shoots 123gr bullets.

The ballistics of the round itself are not wonderful at range, as well as the blind drunk mice way the Russians have of loading it. The consistency just isn't there. The AK's receiver is typically not very rigid, nor it's barrel a very heavy profile. Most are hammer forged, but they are also chrome lined. Which can also be a slight detriment to accuracy.

Given a look at the entire scenario, the AK is far more accurate than the sum of it's parts. Especially when you take a look at them more closely. The barrel is not free floated either. The gas system uses a large heavy reciprocating piston above the bore...

As far as why one is more accurate than another, it's probably as simple as quality control of both the parts manufactured... and which drunken retard assembled it for $.25 an hour. But I doubt you'll really see that much of a difference between any REAL arsenal (Not Arsenal USA) built AK47. IE: Not a parts kit that someone built back into a semi-auto rifle by the lowest bidder.

In fact, I would be willing to bet you wouldn't see much difference between one of those and the BEST rated privately made AK's in production today.

A lot of it comes down to the shooter as well. Don't forget how important that is in the equation either. And how much people who spend a lot of money on an AK do not like to look like fools... a lot of the guys saying how much better their $1000 AK is, almost have to. Because they just spent $1k on a rifle that initially cost someone $50.00 USD to make. If that.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by TB215 View Post
    The round determines the accuracy. AKs in .223 shoots very accurate.
    Why would that be? Better barrel than military? Better ammo, and if so does it include steel case .223? How does one know given the sights?

In my opinion the AK is a compromise, as is every mechanical device, that is heavily skewed toward the desire to be simple to operate and reliable to a fault. To that end they have generous tolerances, to say the least. They also have a very crude sight with a short sight radius, way above the bore. These conspire to make a gun with inherent mediocre accuracy difficult to shoot. By tightening up the chamber, minimizing bore size and adding better sights an AK can be made to shoot reasonably at medium and shorter ranges. However, as the tolerances tighten don't be surprised to find the occasional malfunction.

The AK is what it is, accuracy is something else.

By far the Saiga's are a much better made product than the other you list.

Besides the shooter, accuracy depends upon mechanical tolerances, bore size, ammo quality and such.

AK's in general are not match rifles. Their short sight radius, bore dia.-to-ammo dia. and barrel whip (watch one fire during a slowmotion film) make them much harder to shoot compared to an AR15.

If you are getting 5 shots in 3" at 100yds, you are doing good. A Saiga is capable of that.

(Chester County)

I read a recent article where they compared several ammo brands in 7.62x39 in a Romanian-built stamped receiver AK clone. Brass cased Winchester had 3" groups, regular steel-cased Wolf had 5.5" groups, Golden Tiger over 6". (Guns & Ammo, Complete Book of the AK (magazine), 2011 Edition- 1st article, about Romy Underfolder) So, ammo matters. Whether its more consistent charges, bullet diameter, etc. I dunno. One simple trick some fellas swear by to shave 1" off a 5" group is to remove the cleaning rod and then trying it.
    Last edited by Enfielder; April 13th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    One simple trick some fellas swear by is to remove the cleaning rod and then trying it.
    At one time people "swore" the earth was flat too. I'm not buying what they're selling. I've never noticed ANY change in POI whether it has one or doesn't in the umpteen thousand rounds I've fired through any of mine.

Muzzle devices DO shift POI. Especially bad ones that don't vent gas evenly, or are loose.

Going from a muzzle nut to a slant brake will shift POI.
    A cleaning rod? Probably as much impact as my balls resting on my leg changing the earth's rotation.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    I read a recent article where they compared several ammo brands in 7.62x39 in a Romanian-built stamped receiver AK clone. Brass cased Winchester had 3" groups, regular steel-cased Wolf had 5.5" groups, Golden Tiger over 6". (Guns & Ammo, Complete Book of the AK (magazine), 2011 Edition- 1st article, about Romy Underfolder) So, ammo matters. Whether its more consistent charges, bullet diameter, etc. I dunno. One simple trick some fellas swear by to shave 1" off a 5" group is to remove the cleaning rod and then trying it.
    I'm gonna try that. Wonder if it will shave 2" off my 10" group

(York County)

I don't think that anyone, save for one poster, actually read the whole of my post.

My question was about what specifically accounts for the difference in accuracy BETWEEN AKs produced by different companies or manufacturers; I was not asking about the accuracy of the AK in general or how it compares to an AR-15.

For some reason, most threads regarding an AK someone degenerate into a "why the AR-15" is better type of thread.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast