Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Stumbled into a 45 M44. My lucky day huh? You gotta hear this.

Just so happened to be in a shop when some kid was selling this m44 to the clerk. In fact, he was trading the M44 AND $65 for a regular century 91/30! He just wanted the longer barrel. I didn't want to piss off the shop owner or make the kid feel like an idiot for pointing out how lop sided that deal was. I just kept my mouth shut and waited until the kid walked out with his 91/30 $65 poorer. As soon as he left I told the clerk I would take it. He didn't even have a chance to put it on the rack. Another gentlemen who had walked in on the transaction just after me said that if I hadn't offered he would have taken it.

So here it is, a 1945 Izzy stripped and treated with Lin seed oil. Numbers matching. Silky smooth trigger. Bluing is 100%.

Last edited by Zet70; May 1st, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Stumbled into a 45 M44 for $125. My lucky day huh? You gotta hear this.

Right place, right time. Great find.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Stumbled into a 45 M44 for $125. My lucky day huh? You gotta hear this.

Yes sir, best part was that I had $80 in store credit. So $45 out of pocket for a m44.

(Westmoreland County)

Sometimes it pays to be Johnny-on-the-spot... congrats. Sweet looking too.

(Dauphin County)

Sweet, that looks like it's in great condition. The pics aren't the best, but that bolt looks to be in real good shape.

Now, I hate to do this to you, but I have to. I was talking to a business acquaintance of mine a few days ago. This guy has been collecting firearms for 40+ years. He says he has at least 300 handguns, and untold numbers of rifles and shotguns!! We talk about firearms alot when he visits. So, we talked on the phone a few days ago, and he says next month when he comes to see us he is going to bring an M44 Carbine for me (to keep!!). He's just giving it to me, no charge!! That is, if I want it (duh). He says he bought a bunch of them many years ago when they were selling for $29.99, and now they just sit in his closet. Looks like I got you beat on the good deal.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

lol damnit!

No biggie. I don't really beat myself up on missing deals from years ago. Being 24 with no one in the family who collects or shoots I never actually witnessed the crates of m44s, m38s, and 91/30s for $50 at shows. I've only heard stories. If I had actually seen those deals I would still be sick : )

I should actually be typing a senior thesis right now so I just snapped some quick pics to post up. Ill do some symbol decoding tomorrow and update with good pics from my camera and not my cell.

The only thing I don't like about her is the bore is a little dull.

(Allegheny County)

Right place, right time. Congrats on the good deal.

It does bother me a bit though that the shop owner would screw someone that badly though. He could've done an even trade for a $90 91/30 and still made good money on the M44. If he does that sort of stuff to unsuspecting people walking into his store, I'd personally think twice about dealing with him. Just my opinion.

(Delaware County)

congrats, i have an m44 and a 91/30 both are great guns!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Right place, right time. Congrats on the good deal.

It does bother me a bit though that the shop owner would screw someone that badly though. He could've done an even trade for a $90 91/30 and still made good money on the M44. If he does that sort of stuff to unsuspecting people walking into his store, I'd personally think twice about dealing with him. Just my opinion.
    That's what caught me as odd. He's always seemed upstanding to me. I've bought several used guns there and even had problems with one of them which he resolved. Hell, if he has to order something he straight out tells you what dealer price is up front. From my limited mosin experience I see everything as being right about this m44. Unless he saw something majorly wrong with it that I just am yet to spot I don't know what he was thinking.

In all fairness, when the kid was picking a 91/30 the clerk did help him pick the best condition lam stock with brass hand gaurd ends, mirror bore, hex reciever, and numbers matching.

(Berks County)

+1.........M-44's are commanding a premium anymore, an even up trade for the 91/30 would have been a rip off. But the trade PLUS $65 would have me finding a new shop to do business with.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast