Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Red Dot recommendations for AK47?

Am new to the AK47 universe. Anyone have any good Red Dot recommendations for this platform?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Red Dot recommendations for AK47?

This poster sums it up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

I think the two functional options are the aimpoint micro on an ultimak gas tube. Or the midwest industries front handguard with a us palm top cover and burris FF/ docter type sight. Everything else sits too high and blocks the irons or you'll never be able to adjust in. Outside of that, the cobra type rds from the eastern bloc that attach via side rail mount. But keep in mind they are going to sit high and require an even more upright head position. Which, since you are already more heads up on an AK... Can be annoying. Especially if you are used to shooting an AK with irons. I found it counterintuitive to do it in any way other than the first two methods. I have a low mounted red dot that I tried on a top of hg mount and even that is only a little higher than the better options and it sucked.

I stripped it off almost immediately while at the range to go back to irons because it was too high.
    Ymmv
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; April 17th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier42 View Post
    Am new to the AK47 universe. Anyone have any good Red Dot recommendations for this platform?
    Primary Arms on either a BP-02 low rise or one of the forward mounts(in front of iron sights on the gas tube) or a dog leg one that rides along the rail.

Primary Arms micor red dot
    http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=402

BP-02 Mount
    http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=506

Dog leg type mount
    http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

AK sights suck(i hate open AK sights they are horrid) a red dot only makes it better

If you want original flavor for a AK find a Kobra

I like the BP-02 because its a quick on/off side mount. it sits low enough and I could honestly care less if I can "co-witness" my irons through the sight if the sight was to "go bad or get broke" a flip of the quick on/off and im back to irons..maybe 5 seconds(or less) Plus what if the scope does not just go bad but the glass gets cracked badly somehow and its bad enough I cant co-witness through the scope/red dot....its a bit harder to get them off the other mounting systems without the quick release.
    Last edited by CBennett; April 17th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    Primary Arms on either a BP-02 low rise or one of the forward mounts(in front of iron sights on the gas tube) or a dog leg one that rides along the rail.

Primary Arms micor red dot
    http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=402

BP-02 Mount
    http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=506

Dog leg type mount
    http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

AK sights suck(i hate open AK sights they are horrid) a red dot only makes it better

If you want original flavor for a AK find a Kobra

I like the BP-02 because its a quick on/off side mount. it sits low enough and I could honestly care less if I can "co-witness" my irons through the sight if the sight was to "go bad or get broke" a flip of the quick on/off and im back to irons..maybe 5 seconds(or less) Plus what if the scope does not just go bad but the glass gets cracked badly somehow and its bad enough I cant co-witness through the scope/red dot....its a bit harder to get them off the other mounting systems without the quick release.
    I second the PA micro red dot. Mount it on an Ultimak rail and you're all set. Primary Arms even sells both as a combo.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I second the PA micro red dot. Mount it on an Ultimak rail and you're all set. Primary Arms even sells both as a combo.
    its a pretty significant discount too. I priced them last week and it was about 162$ for the combo. 152$ if you want to use their version of the burris fastfire instead.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Will probably stick with just the irons a bit to get to know them well and their limitations ... will do my best to master them.

i just put a sigtac sth 400 that came with a sig rifle on my maadi. its set up with an ATI plastic stock set with rails.

its a cheapie sight available all day long new for under 80 bucks.

i consider my AK a thrower of lead and i thought it would be fun to mess with the red dot.

i have not been to the range yet and my expectations are limited but for the dough i dont think you could go wrong. the recticles are easy to see and with my rotten ( old) eyes i appreciate that. ive heard they are hard to zero.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    i just put a sigtac sth 400 that came with a sig rifle on my maadi. its set up with an ATI plastic stock set with rails.

its a cheapie sight available all day long new for under 80 bucks.

i consider my AK a thrower of lead and i thought it would be fun to mess with the red dot.

i have not been to the range yet and my expectations are limited but for the dough i dont think you could go wrong. the recticles are easy to see and with my rotten ( old) eyes i appreciate that. ive heard they are hard to zero.
    The old TDI hand guards mount a RDS the same way as those. Which I have, which is what I tried. It was too high. I cranked the dot down and at 35yds my shots were still sailing a foot under the target. Took the shit off, voila, back to business as usual.

Maybe my cheap RDS just doesn't have enough range of adjustment.
    But I don't think yours will either. The last cheap open pane type RDS I tried on an AK lasted 10 rounds. And the recoil knocked the glass out of it.

It was a BSA unit. That sight from Sig looks identical...

(Chester County)

aimpoint micro t-1 on an ultimak gas tube rail. they make quick release mounts for the aimpoint.

check out co-witness of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drCyG...eature=related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast