Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Elk County)

Default Re: Best all-around rifle if you could only have 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    I'll put a different twist on things here, A good choice to meet the OP's list would be a good old lever action 30/30! . . . Again not my "ideal" SHTF weapon but meets the OP's stated needs
    Exactly what I was thinking.

The Henry lever action was the first practical assault rifle. If a person selected a levergun in 357 or 44 Magnum or 45 Colt, you'd have a magazine capacity ranging from 9 to 12 rounds and still be able to bring down whitetail.

Assuming you can find whitetail where you live.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    I am primarily a 45 ACP shooter. I know that there are/have been several rifles chambered for this round, but I've never been around any.
    There are quite a few options here. Including the new 'Just right' Carbine by EMF, looks VERY interesting. The Beretta Storm carbine is an option.

Also, you could build/buy a .45 ACP on an AR platform (Olympic or other), or, the Marlin Camp45 Carbine (which uses 1911 mags, has been discontinued, and is waay overpriced, and not a battle rifle)

I personally would NEVER consider a single shot rifle a SHTF option. PA is one of the only states that doesn't allow hunting with a Semi-auto rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    in a SHTF world, Give me a suppressed .22Lr Bolt Action rifle and I'll fed my family and the friendly neighbors.
    Protect the garden, kill any edible game (yeah even Deer).
    "silently" pop any BG's or trespassers.

And have an Un-limited supply of ammo.

And no one roaming will ever hear a thing.

Remember, one shot from a 30-30 or an AK will sound off for 2 miles in any one direction.
    This is a VERY interesting thought. Things to keep in mind - Suppressed does not equal Silent. A .22 rifle or carbine would need specific sub-sonic ammo to avoid a super-sonic crack. All in all a great suggestion.

I'd probably opt for an AR, although, the platform has its flaws. AR's don't like to run dirty, and have lots of parts/maintained.

Questions - What other arms would you have available??

I'm a big proponent of the 12 Gauge for a SHTF situation, but long range capabilities are key as well.

If I had to pick one - probably a an AR15 (knowing that I had a 12 GA and a side arm as backup) with a Trijicon optic.

or maybe a galil, or maybe a.. lol
    Last edited by Jrkotz; April 20th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    AK47

“If I had to go to a planet, an unknown planet, and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK 47. When Western Civilization melts down, I want an AK 47.”

Richard Venola
    I'd be more worried about protection than hunting. I'll take an AK.

(Bucks County)

I have too many favorites and so this is a tough one to answer. If I could only choose one it would be my 870 tactical shotgun. Plenty of ammo, 6+1 shots, plus the racking of the slide is enough to scare the ba-jesus out of anyone.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.

The Henry lever action was the first practical assault rifle. If a person selected a levergun in 357 or 44 Magnum or 45 Colt, you'd have a magazine capacity ranging from 9 to 12 rounds and still be able to bring down whitetail.

Assuming you can find whitetail where you live.

Noah
    THIS. Have Henry in .357/.38 special,have Winchester in .44, plus pistols to match. Simple, easy to fire, easy to maintain and clean, everyone in my family can shoot 'em and if they don't like the recoil, have Henrys in .22 and pistols to match. Love that lever action.

We're about ready.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    THIS. Have Henry in .357/.38 special,have Winchester in .44, plus pistols to match. Simple, easy to fire, easy to maintain and clean, everyone in my family can shoot 'em and if they don't like the recoil, have Henrys in .22 and pistols to match. Love that lever action.

We're about ready.
    The ORIGINAL Henry, if I'm not mistaken, was the "sixteen shooter", that damn Yankee rifle they could reload on Sunday and shoot all week long. Wasn't it?

I have to admit, a lever action in a serious pistol or revolver caliber, like .357 or .44, is definitely a good idea.

Anyhow, I share that sentiment. Anyone can shoot my 30-30 or 9mm, and I have .22's to match. Lever action rules!

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456