Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Best all-around rifle if you could only have 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    I see your point and I've heard the argument before ,But the fact is to make the statement "about even" you must compare apples to apples, load the 30/30 with a 125 gr or the 7.62 with a 150 gr and see how they compare then. Fact is they are not even and will not ever be. Would I stand in front of either at any range no way.
    Well, of course they are not "even".
    They are, on the other hand, about even in a practical sense.
    While the 30-30 has more muzzle velocity, the x39 is a flatter flying bullet with more energy at range.
    The 30-30 looses steam before the x39, but not by much.
    All I am saying is in the real world it is a wash.

What you need to consider when comparing the 2 rounds is not ballistics, because they are so similar in that sense.
    You need to consider that there are no lever actions in x39 and no semi autos or bolt actions in 30-30.
    They get equal marks for availability, as they are both very popular.
    It comes down to what type of action you are most comfortable with.
    If a bolt is for you, 30-30 is out.
    If a lever for you x39 is out.

All I was saying is that you can not base your choice between the two solely on ballistics, because it is the other factors that will be useful when making a decision.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    AK47

Simple, easy and goes bang... the Glock of the rifle world.
    Comedy. Considering the AK predates the Glock by 30 some odd years. I'm sure it likens it's reputation for reliability to something that didn't exist yet.

To the OP. I would just buy whatever you want and will use most. If your primary purpose is to get into hunting. Buy a decent bolt gun in .308. Cheap enough, accurate enough, still good enough to use if the SHTF.

If you want to blast away at the range buy an AK or AR. The AK is reliable enough to be a SHTF gun, but it's not a domestic weapon. Neither is the ammo it uses. Which means resupplying or finding parts will be further and farther in between. It's accurate enough, and brings enough caliber to the table to be effective on medium sized game as well. If in doubt, it's capacity allows for multiple doses if need be. As rapidly as you'd like to deliver them.

The AR is going to require more attention from you, but be more accurate. It's also a light rifle, and the ammunition is also light. Parts commonality in the US is huge if the STHF, as well as ammunition being plentiful. But you will need to clean it somehow. Or at least keep it lubricated.

It's also good to learn the weapon system of our military. As there are a lot of those in this country, a little knowledge about them ahead of time, can't hurt. You are very likely to encounter them later as bases get raided, or supplies traded off. I'd venture a guess that there are probably more M16's in the US than any other kind of true full auto assault rifles. So it can't hurt you to know your way around one.

Besides, what else do you really have to look forward to ITSHTF? Starving to death, or being murdered? I want a fun switch in the apocalypse. It's a requirement for me.

(Cumberland County)

16" Hk417. Reliability, ergonomics of the AR platform with the power of 7.62NATO.

Realistically though, basically my M&P15 that I already own.

(Northumberland County)

Winchester model 88 in 308

(York County)

Hey, I'll play this game.

Ya'll are thinking inside the box.

in a SHTF world, Give me a surpressed .22Lr Bolt Action rifle and I'll fed my family and the friendly neighbors.
    Protect the garden, kill any edible game (yeah even Deer).
    "silently" pop any BG's or tresspassers.

And have an Un-limited supply of ammo.

And no one roaming will ever hear a thing.

Remember, one shot from a 30-30 or an AK will sound off for 2 miles in any one direction.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Pike County)

im grabbing my SCAR17S, and then packing my Saiga AK convert.

(York County)

I'll take my '92 in 44 mag, to match my Super Blackhawk in the holster. One ammo to carry, with plenty of stopping power.
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

For the OP's stated, SHTF needs, I'd lean towards something like a Springfield M1A in .308. Fires a commonly available round that'll drop deer and bad guys alike, uses near standard magazines, is a fairly well known item so parts and repairs may be available. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it can fire NATO 7.62x51 in a pinch. (which is why I go for it in .308, rather than 7.62, as going the other way isn't so good.)

I'd get it with iron sights for durability and flexibility, rather than glass, which is good for long range, which is unlikely in a SHTF scenario, and hinders you in closer encounters.

Can't be used for hunting current day, due to semi-auto and large capacity magazine. But in a SHTF world that no longer applies.

(Lehigh County)

OP should look at the pistols he has, and get a rifle in a caliber to match the most common one. Same ammo, KISS.

I'm partial to lever action, have a bunch of rifles in .22 and a one in 357/.38 special. .22 is cheap and plentiful. Like another poster said...hit and kill everything. Have a couple/few others in higher calibers too.

I'll throw in my suggestion. Get a FAL. It shoots 7.62x51/.308 (yes, I know they are theoretically different, but practically speaking they are interchangeable), which is an extremely common caliber and suitable for just about anything you might encounter. It's nearly as rugged as an AK (see the tale of Ol' Dirty on the FAL Files: here), is more than accurate enough for most purposes (expect 2-3 inch groups at 100 yds), and has extremely good ergonomics for a battle rifle. It also has an adjustable gas system to allow you to use many types of ammo/loads. If you remove the gas piston (takes about 30 seconds), you are left with a straight pull magazine fed bolt action, which should be legal for hunting in PA provided you don't have the gas piston with you, thereby preventing you from readily converting it back into a semi-auto rifle (5 and 10 round magazines are available for hunting).

FAL's are extremely versatile, rugged, and well-designed. There is a reason they were used by over 90 countries and earned the nickname 'right arm of the free world'. Get one; you won't be disappointed (in fact, you will very likely become an addict).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast