Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Supressor Question

If i buy a surpressor for my AR in 5.56 and drop a 22 conversion kit in it I am i able to use the surpressor or is it designed for 5.56? What kind of ammo do I use for a surpressor? This will be my first surpressor that i own and any other things i need to know about a surpressor will be great to know also

(Chester County)

Default Re: Surpressor Question

Quote Originally Posted by RUArmed View Post
    If i buy a surpressor for my AR in 5.56 and drop a 22 conversion kit in it I am i able to use the surpressor or is it designed for 5.56? What kind of ammo do I use for a surpressor? This will be my first surpressor that i own and any other things i need to know about a surpressor will be great to know also
    You do not want to use the same suppressor for 5.56 and .22lr. The .22 rounds will fill the expensive 5.56 can with lead, and a .22 can will not hold up to the pressure of 5.56 rounds, so you would want a dedicated can for each. For .22 out of a rifle, sub-sonic ammo will be quieter, CCI Standard is often available in bulk packs at Dick's if there is one near you. Other sub-sonic loads will work as well, but may be more expensive.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info and i was curious because you are able to shot 22lr out of a 5.56 barrel so maybe you are able to do the same with s 5.56 surpressor. Is there a proper way to clean a surpressor to.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info and i was curious because you are able to shot 22lr out of a 5.56 barrel so maybe you are able to do the same with s 5.56 surpressor. Is there a proper way to clean a surpressor to.
    Dont quote me on this because all I deal with is 5.56 NATO ammo, but I think a 5.56 is equivelant to a .223 round
    USMC 2D ANGLICO 0861 FORWARD OBSERVER OEF 10.2 NOV'10-JUNE'11

(Allegheny County)

I do believe you are right that a 5.56 is equivalent to a 223. If you have a 5.56 you can shot 223 ammo out of it but you can not shot 5.56 out of a 223. If im wrong some one will correct me. So if you are building or buying a AR i would go with a 5.56

(Chester County)

Most 5.56 suppressors can't be taken apart to be cleaned (and don't need to be when used with jacketed bullets), so it is best to not shoot .22lr through them. If you google "suppressor dip" you will get info about one method, but its something that I personally wouldn't play with.

(Columbia County)

What in the hell is a surpressor?

I'm with the spelling division.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Surpressor Question

i have a 556/223 awc hrt model can, they are typically sealed. mine came with cleaning instructions and general info that you need. my .22 aac pilot model can is also sealed and came with a users manual as well. the 556/223 can was 3 times the cost of the 22 can so if just want one for 22s get one of those. if you want cans for both you will have to bite the bullet and by two. keep in mind 556/223 cans are not all that silent the muzzle blast is gone [no ear muffs needed] but the sonic crack or noise of bullet flight is still there. now 556 vs 223, same dimensions the difference i believe is in max. loading pressures, 556 works at higher pressures than 223. so 223 in a 556 barrel is ok the other way around not recomended. if i am wrong someone else will speak up.

(Allegheny County)

There always seems to be a lot of confusion over the difference between a .223 and a 5.56 chamber. Is it safe to shoot this? Is it safe to do that? More confusion is added when some manufacturers advertise rifles with .223/5.56 chambers. I found this 'excellent' explaination on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Remington) and wanted to share it on this forum.

The .223 Remington is a sporting cartridge with the same external dimensions as the 5.56x45mm NATO military cartridge. It is loaded with a .224" diameter, jacketed bullet, with weights ranging from 40 up to 90 grains, though the most common loadings by far are 55 grains.

The primary difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 x 45 mm is that .223 is loaded to lower pressures and velocities compared to 5.56 mm. .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination. The additional pressure created by 5.56 mm ammo will frequently cause over-pressure problems such as difficult extraction, flowing brass, or popped primers, but in extreme cases, could damage or destroy the rifle. Chambers cut to .223 Remington specifications have a shorter leade (throat) area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimensions compared to 5.56 mm "military" chamber specs, which contributes to the pressure issues.

While the 5.56 mm and .223 cartridges are very similar, they are not identical. Military cases are made from thicker brass than commercial cases, which reduces the powder capacity (an important consideration for handloaders), and the NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. Test barrels made for 5.56mm NATO measure chamber pressure at the case mouth, as opposed to the SAAMI location. This difference accounts for upwards of 20,000+ psi difference in pressure measurements. That means that advertised pressure of 58,000 psi for 5.56mm NATO, is around 78,000 psi tested in .223 Rem test barrels (SAAMI .223 Rem Proof MAP is 78,500 psi so every 5.56mm round fired is a proof load, very dangerous). The 5.56 mm chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chambers, have a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 chambering, known as the "SAAMI chamber", is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure. To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber[2] or the Armalite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56 mm and .223 equally well.

Using commercial .223 cartridges in a 5.56-chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223-chambered gun due to the excessive leade. [3] Using 5.56 mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223-chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[4] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56 mm, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56 mm ammunition.
    i read this, and seems to be very knowledgable
    USMC 2D ANGLICO 0861 FORWARD OBSERVER OEF 10.2 NOV'10-JUNE'11

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    What in the hell is a surpressor?

I'm with the spelling division.
    It is a silencer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast