Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an opinion

(Allegheny County)

Default Need an opinion

Hey guys first post but I've been reading around for alittle while now. I did a search and there was a similar thread but I had a more direct question. I did carry a p229 and it was Kahr PM9 and to illustrate how small my hands are, that actually fits pretty good.(well as good as it possibly can) So my question is I'm looking for something with alittle more capacity but not getting too big. I was thinking about a Glock 26/7 platform or a M&P compact. I was just seeing what your opinion is for someone with small hands or any other ideas.

ps. I did have a H&K p2000sk in 9mm that I paid top dollar for new, that was sadly stolen in a robbery So not really looking for that route again. I didn't even get a chance to shoot it either.

pps. sorry this is so long. and Thank you in advance.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Need an opinion

welcome it is always nice to see new people, i am new as well. i personally am into the glock scene you can not go wrong with them, but the staggard mags. do not make for a small grip. by all means try the fit of one and see if it will work for you, may i suggest you try to fire one before you make your final decision. guns are pricey it would be a shame to get one that does not wok for you. second thought if higher cap. is your main goal carry extra mags and practice faster mag changes, once the skills are developed you can keep shooting without interuption.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Need an opinion

Check a FN/Browning Hi-Power out.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Cumberland County)

That's not too long of a post. Wait until we start an argument later.

Welcome to Poofa.

I carried a Glock 27 for a while. I really, really like Glocks. That being said a Glock 26/27 is no smaller in the grip than any other Glock (for the most part). They aren't exactly slim. Still, I'd recommended you get your hands on one and see how it really feels. Shoot it if you can. The subcompact Glocks are great guns. The short grip makes them easy to conceal, and with a full size backup mag or two you can be carrying 45 rounds of 9mm. (That's 10+1 and two 17 rounders for you slower folk.) You can even subtract one of those extra mags and still be carrying a crapload of ammo.

If the Glock turns out to be too big you could always go for a bigger Kahr. I love Kahrs right now.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

I have fired a Glock 19 before. It was awhile ago but I didn't seem to give me any grips problems. It did shoot pretty well for me too. To be honest though I wanna like the M&P better so I'm just wondering if anyone has details on
    1. How much better is the Glock trigger really? and 2. Is there any noticable difference in concealing a baby Glock and a M&P compact? I am a fairly small guy at 5'9" 165. Thanks for all the replies though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Check a FN/Browning Hi-Power out.
    Have to agree with this. Additionally, try CZ75 or CZ85.

(Fayette County)

I also am a fan of the Glock series if the 229 was too big for your hands.

You may want to look at the 19/23 models too. That way you will get the ultimate in magazine capacity, yet still in a concealable package. Although, the 26/27 is much easier to conceal if you of a smaller body frame.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bcgst5 View Post
    To be honest though I wanna like the M&P better so I'm just wondering if anyone has details on
    1. How much better is the Glock trigger really? and 2. Is there any noticable difference in concealing a baby Glock and a M&P compact? I am a fairly small guy at 5'9" 165. Thanks for all the replies though.
    I have shot many a Glock and own M&P 9 full size with about 1300 rounds through it. After the first 300 or so, the M&P trigger started to feel pretty good to me. But the beautiful thing about the M&P is the ease of which you can improve the trigger. I've never worked on a gun before in my life, but at the 1,000 round mark decided to drop in an APEX DCEAK (which includes a replacement sear, a striker block part and some springs for about $90). While I was at it, I replaced the standard sights (the front site is a bit of a bitch because it's so snug, but can be done). I put 200 rounds through the thing this past weekend and the trigger is pretty amazing. BTW, through 1300 rounds, I have experienced ZERO failures of any sort, shooting several brands and types of ammo.

On your next visit to the gun shop, ask them to let you insert the small backstrap into the M&P so you can get a feel for it (it is shipped with the medium insert installed so chances are that if you picked one up before, it was with the medium backstrap). I'm guessing the small might feel better to you.

I know I sound like a bit of an M&P advocate, and that's because frankly, I am. Though it was less than half the price of my Kimber 1911, less than my Sig P238 and less than my Sig P250, it's probably the gun that I enjoy shooting the most. The APEX drop in's take it to a whole new level of fun.

Don't overlook a Sig P239. They are great guns and shoot very well. Unfortunately I needed to sell mine but would love to get another down the line. Another great pistol is the Glock 26, I prefer shooting it over my Glock 19 but that is just me.

(Philadelphia County)

Hi, I also have a small pistol grip and I do CC the PM9 and the ruger LC9 as well as the G36. These pistols allow me to have a proper fit (middle of first didgit) on the trigger.

Your choice of the G26 should be a good fit as long as you get the GEN-4. The 2 mm's less in the overal grip make the difference in my being able to have a proper fit on the trigger. For this reason, the GEN-4 model, I have ordered a G19 GEN-4 for CC.

Have a good day.
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast