Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .22 and a can

(Lancaster County)

Default .22 and a can

So I had a random thought. I have an AR with a CMMG .22LR drop in conversion. Can I take the flash supressor off, and put a silencer on? Could I then use that same silencer on my G19 if I get a .22 conversion for it? And can I still use that silencer on any other .22's that I may end up purchasing further down the line?

Future plans include 9mm and 5.56mm silencers as well, but it is still a thought, and it would be cheap since I could use one silencer on many different guns, all shooting the cheap and readily available 22LR.

Thanks for taking time to read my rant, any feedback is appreciated.

(York County)

Default Re: .22 and a can

Any thread on .22lr silencer can be used on any .22Lr pistol as well as your .22Lr rifle.

That's kinda the beauty of them. Versatility.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: .22 and a can

most 22 cans have a 1/2 x28 thread pattern, if it matches the barrel threads it is a easy screw on. my only concern on the ar with the 22 converson is the 556 barrel is a little loose for the 22 bullet, i would not want a wobbling bullet going thru my can and hittig the internal components that could get exspensive, anyone tried this yet i would like to know as well.

I've done it. Just unscrew the birdcage and the supressor I was trying out at the store worked just fine. Really nice and quiet, too.

I hear there is chance of wobble, but I got no baffle strikes in hundreds of rounds.

(Armstrong County)

Ive done this as well, no issues.

Only thing you will probably need to use with a drop-in conversion is a spacer on the threads.
    Standard 223/556 AR barrels are threaded around .600-.625" of thread.
    Most 22 cans need around .400" of thread. So with out a spacer, you will bottom out on your blast baffle and not the shoulder of the barrel.