Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default FNX-40, Ruger SR40 or USP 40 ??

Well, I find myself looking for a new .40 s&w. I currently have a Styer M40-A1. It's a great gun, but I hate the sights (replacement sights are upwards of $100+). I need something mainly for 3-gun shoots with a nice trigger. I'm looking at around $500 give or take. I don't have a preference for all metal or polymer. I really need an external safety that does not de-cock while putting the safety on (Like my Beretta 92)and forcing it into a DA first shot.

I've fondled the FNX-40...it felt great in hand....nice stippling, external safety and mags realease very easily. Trigger seems pretty decent in both DA and SA. Hard to find used....but controls seemed flimsy(?). I loved how the de-cocker operated.

I shot a SR-9 over the weekend...I did well with it, but found that the controls were pretty tiny. Trigger was actually pretty good for a striker fired pistol. A little long first shot, but the trigger reset was very, very positive which allowed for some pretty fast double taps. Found out the that the .40 barrel has the same external dimensions as the 9mm....which worries me a little.

I found a used full size USP 40 for the mid-$500's. Don't really like the looks of them (reminds me of a High Point LOL). I know they are well built, but mags cost a ton of $$$ (I need at least 3-4). I shot a USP 45 a VERY long time ago, but I can't remember what it was like or how I did with it. Also from what I understand, due to the polygonal rifling, I can't (shouldn't) shoot leadnose reloads out of them.

I do not want another XD...I had a XD45 but couldn't get used to their sights either.

I love the Sig 229/226 family in 9mm, but they have no external safety (I think).

On a side note, I have to deal with an astigmatism in my eyes. I'm right handed, but shoot with my left eye (cross dominance). It's pretty rare (less than 10% of shooters have it). So if anyone has experience with that along with a decent .40, I'd appreciate any input!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: FNX-40, Ruger SR40 or USP 40 ??

The USP would be the highest quality out of those choices.

(Bucks County)

all three are good guns so it really boils down to which gun fits your hand better and which gun you shoot better. i had a 40 cal USP and it was extremely accuate and 100% reliable. i've never fired the FN or ruger but from what i've read they are both good guns and i don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.

(Monroe County)

The USP's do not decock when activating the safety...the decock action on them is actually one more step down...(position 3). That being said, the trigger in DA mode is heavy as hell. Best bet is to get one with the LEM trigger. It's DAO but if you get the light LEM its only about a 5lb pull, and you actually have the option to have a safety lever with it if you want....although I personally think it's useless.

Just to clarify, if you get the USP with SA/DA safety/decocker....you can carry it cocked and locked.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    The USP's do not decock when activating the safety...the decock action on them is actually one more step down...(position 3). That being said, the trigger in DA mode is heavy as hell. Best bet is to get one with the LEM trigger. It's DAO but if you get the light LEM its only about a 5lb pull, and you actually have the option to have a safety lever with it if you want....although I personally think it's useless.

Just to clarify, if you get the USP with SA/DA safety/decocker....you can carry it cocked and locked.
    It looks like the FNX 40 is set up the same way as the USP (which I really like). Unfortunately my fat thumb also rode the slide lock at the same time as the safety.

With 3-gun, we have to start with a round chambered and the gun on "safe", hammer cocked. When I do that with my Beretta (put the safety on), it also de-cocks the gun and my first shot is always DA....a very long, hard DA which I always pull low left (nothing that range time couldn't fix after awhile, but with having 3 kids and 3 jobs, my "free time" is severly limited).

The trigger pull on the SR 40 is a hair over 6lbs.
    Last edited by QUADZILLA; April 11th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    It looks like the FNX 40 is set up the same way as the USP (which I really like). Unfortunately my fat thumb also rode the slide lock at the same time as the safety.

With 3-gun, we have to start with a round chambered and the gun on "safe". When I do that with my Beretta, it also de-cocks the gun and my first shot is always DA....a very long, hard DA which I always pull low left (nothing that range time couldn't fix after awhile, but with having 3 kids and 3 jobs, my "free time" is severly limited).

The trigger pull on the SR 40 is a hair over 6lbs.
    I would definitely suggest an LEM with safety then (if you can find it, they're not common), or the standard cocked and locked USP. The standard single action trigger pull on them is 4.5 lb.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; April 12th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

(Cumberland County)

CZ P07 Duty, or the SP-01 Phantom. Cocked and locked, with the ability to switch to decocker only. (On the Duty for sure, not positive about the SP-01, don't have one... Yet.)
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

external safety- 1911 platform but if i was you... I would go with what tried and true, glock, mp&p or xd. All three are great game guns as well as personal protection. All three have much aftermarket suppoert. I just put a match trigger in my xd and it shoots almost as good as a 1911
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Erie County)

Sounds like the EAA Witness might be the gun your looking for. Very versatile gun and a great value too ($440 at Buds).

features:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYwDdj-9UY

or a step up to the Witness Match ($530 at Buds):

features:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4r5z...eature=related
    Last edited by OPiNiCUS; April 12th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OPiNiCUS View Post
    Sounds like the EAA Witness might be the gun your looking for. Very versatile gun and a great value too ($440 at Buds).

features:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYwDdj-9UY

or a step up to the Witness Match ($530 at Buds):

features:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4r5z...eature=related
    I have a CZ...alloy RAMI. The one thing that I dislike about it (and CZ's in general) are the tiny slides. It makes for a very solid pistol, but a real pain to get a good hold on!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast