Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default .224 (6mm) Remington

I have a friend that wants to reload .224 (6mm) Remington for his rifle. I don't know what barrel twist he has to determine bullet weight but he is looking for brass and bullets. Please provide sources if anyone knows them. Is this cartridge even being produced commercially anymore?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Somerset County)

Default Re: .224 (6mm) Remington

Is it marked 6mm Remington or 244 Remington? The 244 was the early version and had a slower twist (1 in 12?) than the 243 Win (1 in 10?). 100 grain bullets may or may not work very well in a rifle marked 244 Rem. The heavier Barnes bullets may not either. Remington revamped things, changed the name to 6mm Remington and the twist to 1 in 9.

Great cartridge, 30 years ago,I had a Ruger chambered for it and sold the rifle because I wanted a handgun. Dumb move on my part, maybe I'll get it back someday.

Anyhow, supplies are available. I used 100 gr Hornady spitzers for deer (a buddy of mine still does) and IMR 4350 powder. Mine did pretty well with 85 gr Speer Boattails for groundhogs. There are a whole bunch of new bullets that one could try. Also some new powders that weren't available back then like Reloder 17 and the Ramshot stuff.

Midway is showing brass in stock. I got a bag for my buddy from Cabelas (I think) last year. It may be a seasonal run item, they run it once a year and hope they produce enough to last the year.

Dale