Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Could not pick up my ltcf, System down

Tried to pick up my ltcf today but the system was down. Does pics need to be checked when you pick up? If so I did not know that. Just putting out a heads up to call before you go to the courthouse to pick up your ltcf.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Default Re: Could not pick up my ltcf, System down

Might not have been the PICS system down, but the new LTCF system that is in place

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Might not have been the PICS system down, but the new LTCF system that is in place
    That is probably it. Still sucks, I may not be able to get it untill the next extended hours Monday.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

what new LTCF system? is this system gonna deny more and approve less?

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    what new LTCF system? is this system gonna deny more and approve less?
    If thats the case Im sure Philly police love the new system.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Delaware County)

The law (6109) doesn't mandate a particular method for conducting the background investigation , only that the Sheriff has 45 days to conduct one. Many departments use PICS because its simple.

That being said, as long as they haven't exceeded their 45 day window, it would be at the Sheriff's discretion to conduct a PICS check at the time of pickup as part of his background investigation - if PICS was down, he could say he was still conducting the investigation.

If, however, it is now the 46th day, his claim that he must conduct a PICS check at the time of issuance would be invalid because he has exceeded the 45 days for which he is allowed to conduct the investigation.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyVet View Post
    The law (6109) doesn't mandate a particular method for conducting the background investigation , only that the Sheriff has 45 days to conduct one. Many departments use PICS because its simple.

That being said, as long as they haven't exceeded their 45 day window, it would be at the Sheriff's discretion to conduct a PICS check at the time of pickup as part of his background investigation - if PICS was down, he could say he was still conducting the investigation.

If, however, it is now the 46th day, his claim that he must conduct a PICS check at the time of issuance would be invalid because he has exceeded the 45 days for which he is allowed to conduct the investigation.
    The Sheriff can use whatever methods/procedures that are available to him to preform the checks in 6109(d)(1) through (4). They must be done in the 45 days.

But, 6109(d)(5) does indeed mandate the process for PICS.
    conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.
    If you read 6111 carefully, the Sheriff has to complete the PICS check in 10 days of receipt of application.

6111(b)(1.1)(iii)
    For purposes of conducting the criminal history, juvenile delinquency and mental health records background check which shall be completed within ten days of receipt of the information from the dealer, the application/record of sale shall include the name, address, birthdate, gender, race, physical description and Social Security number of the purchaser or transferee and the date of application.
    6111(b)(3)
    Requested by means of a telephone call that the Pennsylvania State Police conduct a criminal history, juvenile delinquency history and a mental health record check. The purchaser and the licensed dealer shall provide such information as is necessary to accurately identify the purchaser. The requester shall be charged a fee equivalent to the cost of providing the service but not to exceed $2 per buyer or transferee.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Berks County)

Is it just me, or does it seem like Delaware County has been "down" a lot?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    The Sheriff can use whatever methods/procedures that are available to him to preform the checks in 6109(d)(1) through (4). They must be done in the 45 days.

But, 6109(d)(5) does indeed mandate the process for PICS.

If you read 6111 carefully, the Sheriff has to complete the PICS check in 10 days of receipt of application.

6111(b)(1.1)(iii)

6111(b)(3)
    I stand corrected.. It looks like d(5) was added in 2005, but I didn't notice.. good catch..

(Delaware County)

Why does everyone want to blame the department, The system is down it down ,nothing can be done about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast