Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Walther P22 for Woman

My wife wants to learn how to shoot. The clerk at the range/shop recommended a Walther P22 pistol as he claims he sold many of them to women who were learning how to shoot. He also claimed that if she could learn how to shoot the Walther P22, she could shoot just about any pistol. I'm not familiar with Walther. It seemed like a nice pistol with an ambidextrous safety and an easy loading magazine with a novel mag release in the trigged guard. Would the P22 make a good choice for a petite woman? What do you all think?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Walther P22 for Woman

I think so. You will like it as well.

(Luzerne County)

Talking Re: Walther P22 for Woman

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    My wife wants to learn how to shoot. The clerk at the range/shop recommended a Walther P22 pistol as he claims he sold many of them to women who were learning how to shoot. He also claimed that if she could learn how to shoot the Walther P22, she could shoot just about any pistol. I'm not familiar with Walther. It seemed like a nice pistol with an ambidextrous safety and an easy loading magazine with a novel mag release in the trigged guard. Would the P22 make a good choice for a petite woman? What do you all think?
    My wife liked mine, er make that hers, now!

(Chester County)

The Walther P22 is a decent gun. It's a small framed pistol that's easy for people with small hands to hold. My son and my friend's son like to shoot it. They're both about 12.

Take her to the shop and let her handle it first. She'll know if it fits her hand.

I've got a Ruger MkIII 22/45 that my son loves to shoot. It's his favorite. He handles it with no problems.

Of the two the Ruger will last forever and eat whatever you ammo you feed it. The Walther might be a bit pickier and need more maintainence.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lebanon County)

I've shot a friends a bunch of times and I do like it but his has a few quirks to it. The front sights are plastic and snap into the slide. They can be knocked out with a few bumps on a holster. His also has one mag that you have to wrap your finger under to hold it up high enough into the magwell to get it to feed correctly. The other mag runs flawlessly.

He also recently had to replace the hammer spring on it because the one leg broke off during a range trip.

You may want to also look into the Sig Mosquito 22, S&W 422 or any of the ruger mk series of pistols.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    You may want to also look into the Sig Mosquito 22, S&W 422 or any of the ruger mk series of pistols.
    I'd stay away from the Sig Mosquito. I've shot two different ones. Both were jam machines unless you used CCI Mini Mag ammo. Neither one would feed cheaper bulk 22 ammo.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Carbon County)

i told my wife i bought the walther for her...299.00 at the gun show. she loves it, i love it...put about 800 trouble free rounds through it...cool little bastard

(Butler County)

I loved mine for about 2 years. It started giving me some problems. I just upgraded to a 9mm which I couldn't rack before my shooting the P22.

Great gun for beginners. It is fun to shoot, pretty accurate, easy to hold for women and easy to conceal, and won't break the bank when buying ammo.

(York County)

My wife took an NRA Basic Pistol course a few years back and the P22 is what they gave her to run the course. She's a little thing and she really liked the gun, so I started trolling the gun shows I always frequent for a good price on one.

Snagged a new 2 tone one under $300. Have had some feeding issues with it, but the ammo was old. Took the gun back home gave it a good clean/lube and bought fresh ammo.

Good to go!

It is a cool little gun for the range, but not a carry piece, so the fragile sights wouldn't concern me. Heck, the stock sights on a Glock are just as cheap, if not worse and they still seem to sell a few guns a year.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Walther P22 for Woman

i like mine, a fun little gun to shoot. if you want to train the mrs. on correct operation of a semi it is a good choice. be mindful that some are a little fussy on ammo types, the best bet is to stay away from std. velocity types go with the hotter ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast