Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Compound Bow or Crossbow? Why?

Actually Dredly, bending your elbow is about a decade behind. That started back in the nineties when all the bow companies were trying to get 300 fps without having the technology to get it in a shoot-able bow. They were all lowering the brace height to about 5 inches to increase the power stroke. With such a low BH you had to bend your elbow or hit your arm. Consequently a lot of competitive shooters including me had to have surgery to repair damaged elbows. The new school is to keep your elbow straight but not locked. Have your hand at 45 degrees with the wrist slightly bent. You want as little contact as possible on the grip. That is why all the modern bows have such small grips. They also have about 7 inch BH's. You want all the pressure to be bone on bone not on tendons and muscles.

I'm sure this is all hard to understand by just reading it on a forum. That's why the best advice I can give is to go to http://www.larrywise.com/ and at least order "Core Archery". Larry Wise is a many time PA state champion with many national and international titles. He is still a much sought after world class coach. Because I was in the industry I get free trade magazines that can not be bought on the open market. Many times these mags have articles written by Larry based on his books. He is the guy that teaches pro shop owners how to teach their customers. Anyone who buys "Core Archery" and applies what he teaches will improve their shooting.
    Last edited by 1iarrowking; April 21st, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Allegheny County)

Here's my take on the differance. A crossbow is perfect for the person who does not practice or has some kind of disability.

A compound requires practice, and lots of it. The problem with most archery hunters is their equipment is not fitted properly, either wrong draw lenght or to much weight, usually both. These two things are by far the biggest problem I have seen with archers.

I would much rather see a person with a crossbow in the woods than someone who has a compound and has no clue how to set it up, which will result in poor shooting ability.

I use to shoot archery year round, went to many local and national tournaments. Seen and shot with some of the best shooters in the country . I learned so much by doing this. Most archery hunters don't have a clue as to what it takes to set up their equipment and become proficant with a bow, these types would be better off with a crossbow.

With that said I would take a compound and practice any day over a crossbow, but that's me.

(Allegheny County)

I think you're right on the money with that.I don't profess to be a competitive shooter but I took up archery four years ago and was properly fitted by a pro and spent money on a quality bow.Then it was practice, practice, practice.In four years I have a ten point,a doe, and two coyotes(one running).Its just these outdoor morons who think they can pick up a bow at a yard sale and shoot twice a year if that and go out and maim animals is what ticks me off.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    Actually Dredly, bending your elbow is about a decade behind. That started back in the nineties when all the bow companies were trying to get 300 fps without having the technology to get it in a shoot-able bow. They were all lowering the brace height to about 5 inches to increase the power stroke. With such a low BH you had to bend your elbow or hit your arm. Consequently a lot of competitive shooters including me had to have surgery to repair damaged elbows. The new school is to keep your elbow straight but not locked. Have your hand at 45 degrees with the wrist slightly bent. You want as little contact as possible on the grip. That is why all the modern bows have such small grips. They also have about 7 inch BH's. You want all the pressure to be bone on bone not on tendons and muscles.

I'm sure this is all hard to understand by just reading it on a forum. That's why the best advice I can give is to go to http://www.larrywise.com/ and at least order "Core Archery". Larry Wise is a many time PA state champion with many national and international titles. He is still a much sought after world class coach. Because I was in the industry I get free trade magazines that can not be bought on the open market. Many times these mags have articles written by Larry based on his books. He is the guy that teaches pro shop owners how to teach their customers. Anyone who buys "Core Archery" and applies what he teaches will improve their shooting.
    One thing I absolutely love about Archery is how long its been around, and how often it changes, as well as how region specific it is :P

example:

My Uncle has been shooting for decades, he is hold his arm straight and is now shooting back tension,

My dad is starting to shoot with a slight bend but normally doesn't, also a decades long shooter, finally got him to switch to a release when he got a new bow 5 years ago

I have been really shooting for about 7 years and I was taught shoot bent elbow, I shoot a thumb release and absolutely love it. I normally get to the point where I'm consistently shooing in the 275 - 280 range, then hit hunting season and stop shooting almost entirely and drop down to the 200's by the time I start again :P

Now we are back to non-bent but different grip angle. Everyone has a way they "like" to do it, is there a benefit to one over the other? I've watched guys shoot 300's with all styles, but normally there is :P

I am intrigued by locked arm w/ wrist at 45 though... I never heard of that before, I think it will bring back my initial issue of draw length though :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678