Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Compound Bow or Crossbow? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    seriously how the hell do we keep getting random trolls from other states posting on these forums? Don't people have their own forums to post in?

As for elites... yup, damn right. The reason the archery season is so long is because its harder, the success rate is way lower and you need to get closer to the deer.

in the middle of the archery season there is inline season, senior citizen/kid season, turkey season, small game season, winter flintlock season and now there is even late season rifle throughout the whole winter season in some areas.

So yeah, that limited amount of time that BOWHUNTERS get in the woods is special, yes we are selfish, is it the same as using a longbow? not exactly, is it damn close? yes, the mechanics are the same, wait until a deer gets within 30 yards of you, draw the bow back, hold for the shot, hold longer, place the pin right for the yardage, wait for the leg to move forward, hold longer, then release

crossbow is rest the stock on whatever you have handy, look through your scope, put the pre-setup crosshair on the animal, pull the trigger whenever you are tired of looking through the scope.

Crossbow is short range rifle hunting for people to lazy to practice with a bow.

anyone who is saying "you need to practice with a crossbow" is trying to make themselves feel better or hasn't shot one. You are using optics and shooting off a rest, normally from a seated position. You don't even need to dial in for different yardages, just set it for 20 and the rest are already there (in theory)... if you are a rifle shooter and you can't get a crossbow "woods ready" in under an hour something is wrong with your xbow

Now why should someone who is going to use a rifle at (hopefully) 40 yards or less be out in the woods for the amount of time that Archery season is open?

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. If Xbow hunters want to be in the woods so badly with their xbows then get a season created for them, stay the hell out of archery season though!

And for the record, last year and the year before I saw several xbow hunters in the woods. including one who was kind enough to entertain me with his tails of how horrible his season was because his "darts" kept falling short of what he was shooting at, another who had already wounded 3 deer this year (no recovery), and several who thought that orange laws didn't apply to them since they didn't have a rifle (turkey season? whats that). Also, people are fucking BRAVE about how they walk around with the xbows at the ready! wow, Trigger safety isn't the only thing you have to worry about with them guys! (are there safe, ethical, law abiding hunters? yes absolutely!)

btw -none of this applies to someone who is physically unable to shoot a bow!
    I've stayed out of this because I'm tired of having to explain it over and over. How many threads have there been on this? I'm going to rep you Dredly for having the perseverance to fight the fight again.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I've stayed out of this because I'm tired of having to explain it over and over. How many threads have there been on this? I'm going to rep you Dredly for having the perseverance to fight the fight again.
    Fight the fight? LMAO

Trying to compare a long bow to a compound can't be done, just as a compound can't be compared to a crossbow.

Some people need to get over themselves. Get out in the woods and have some fun. If you see some idiot with a long bow, crossbow, compound out there slinging arrows at deer and missing, wounding deer, or otherwise being a slob step up and do something to help them. My guess is their father or whomever taught them how to hunt was a slob themselves. Awful hard to learn to be a real sportsmen when you didn't have a proper teacher.

That being said is it archery season yet?

(Bucks County)

Throw a diaper on and use a blow gun. Can't beat it...
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Fight the fight? LMAO

Trying to compare a long bow to a compound can't be done, just as a compound can't be compared to a crossbow.

Some people need to get over themselves. Get out in the woods and have some fun. If you see some idiot with a long bow, crossbow, compound out there slinging arrows at deer and missing, wounding deer, or otherwise being a slob step up and do something to help them. My guess is their father or whomever taught them how to hunt was a slob themselves. Awful hard to learn to be a real sportsmen when you didn't have a proper teacher.

That being said is it archery season yet?
    have you shot a "long bow" I assume by longbow people are talking primarily about recurves? Draw, aim, release, repeat. The primary difference is if you are shooting instinctive or not, and how much weight you have to hold at full draw. for me I'd rather hunt with a compound as I know I can hold the weight back longer and allow me the power to put on a perfect shot compared to struggling to hold it at full draw and possibly making a less then ideal shot. Also modern compounds have a ton more KE

While you are throwing the "longbow" around keep in mind that longbows aren't what they used to be

for example:

compound:

Recurve:

longbow :P

The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    have you shot a "long bow" I assume by longbow people are talking primarily about recurves? Draw, aim, release, repeat. The primary difference is if you are shooting instinctive or not, and how much weight you have to hold at full draw. for me I'd rather hunt with a compound as I know I can hold the weight back longer and allow me the power to put on a perfect shot compared to struggling to hold it at full draw and possibly making a less then ideal shot. Also modern compounds have a ton more KE

While you are throwing the "longbow" around keep in mind that longbows aren't what they used to be

for example:

compound:

Recurve:

longbow :P

That's funny. Evidently I have to spread the Rep around before I give it to you again....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Wyoming County)

I understand that ignorant people are in everything, but not all cross bow hunters are slobs. I also know not many people shoot their compound bow as much as me, and I feel under prepared for archery season shooting 20 arrows a day for the whole summer. There is a place for a crossbows in hunting. Kids that aren't strong enough for a compound could be out hunting with a crossbow, and getting more people into hunting is definitely a good thing. I don't know why hunters want to exclude them from archery if they are making clean efficient kills.
    Last edited by shooker8; April 15th, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Lebanon County)

Hey Dredly, I'll see you in the woods with my CROSSBOW dur "your" archery season... Love to see you do something about it because PGC says it is legal. I dont see anywhere in the rule book it says "hey you crossbow guys are all cheating slobs". If you have a problem with me being out there then go hunt private land. I have just as much right out there as you do, and I'll do what i damn well please with my crossbow.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooker8 View Post
    I understand that ignorant people are in everything, but not all cross bow hunters are slobs. I also know not many people shoot their compound bow as much as me, and I feel under prepared for archery season shooting 20 arrows a day for the whole summer. There is a place for a crossbows in hunting. Kids that aren't strong enough for a compound could be out hunting with a crossbow, and getting more people into hunting is definitely a good thing. I don't know why hunters want to exclude them from archery if they are making clean efficient kills.
    because it isn't archery?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triegle View Post
    Hey Dredly, I'll see you in the woods with my CROSSBOW dur "your" archery season... Love to see you do something about it because PGC says it is legal. I dont see anywhere in the rule book it says "hey you crossbow guys are all cheating slobs". If you have a problem with me being out there then go hunt private land. I have just as much right out there as you do, and I'll do what i damn well please with my crossbow.
    You realize that crossbows have been legal for years for people who were physically unable to shoot a bow due to medical reasons right? ie: disabled / handicapped

what does that tell you about your chosen method of hunting?

(Bucks County)

Chip, at this point you really must get a crossbow if only to piss off the elitist girls. And then post pics of all the deer you got with it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast