Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Compound Bow or Crossbow? Why?

In the end the decision will be yours, In the past archery hunting was almost a right of passage. When you were strong enough to pull a bow back you started and generally started with a recurve and like me you learned to shoot instinctive no sights. Then I moved on to a compound with just pins and no peep. Then later I added the peep. I limit my shots on deer to inside 30 yards. This is becuase in the end our ultimate reponsibility as hunters is to make a clean harvest. Bows are a lot of fun to shoot and require lots of practice not sure the same can be said about a cross bow. Have fun with what ever shoice u make.

Smile Re: Compound Bow or Crossbow? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    This is becuase in the end our ultimate reponsibility as hunters is to make a clean harvest.
    Absolutely. This is another point in my considerations.
    Both would require practice, the crossbow undoubtedly to a lesser degree. I would seek to be as practiced as possible before the season opened with whichever choice I made. My main goal is to put food on the table, I wish to do so, obviously, as cleanly as possible and would feel no small amount of remorse and disgust with myself if with either method I were to merely wound an animal and not harvest it properly.
    I feel I plan meticulously for anything I do and bow hunting would be no exception.
    Thank you all for your input so far, I'll be looking further into different options in the coming weeks, the compound is so different to anything I have now and it is something new to learn, that's something that's very appealing to me and may very well sway my final choice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Bow pros:

- The challenge is greater because of having to move while an animal is right in front of you
    - You'll respect your kill much more and it requires much more skill
    - its more fun

Crossbow Pros:

- you don't have to practice
    - its rifle hunting

The only people who should use a crossbow are those who can't shoot a bow, its cheating and the fact that its permitted in PA is bullshit. If you want to be an archery hunter, then get a bow, practice, have fun and get good, then go hunting. If you want to be a lazy hunter go get a crossbow, shoot it twice and then go hunt with it...

you know those guys who hit the firing line 2 weeks before season, shoot 5 rounds and all hit the backstop so they are "Ready for hunting season"? those are crossbow hunters
    I knew we'd see this post! Classic and full of fail. Typical elitist compound shooter who has a problem sharing the woods. As others have said, if crossbows are cheating, and don't leave a lasting feeling of enjoyment after the kill then go back to using the longbow, stop using the latest and greatest camo, no scent killer, no gps, etc.

That being said, I've used both - a compound from the age of 12 and then when crossbows were made legal I got one of those, used it one season and sold it. Just wasn't for me. The weight, and bulkyness were to much, it was loud and clunky and I just enjoyed the compound more.

Head to your local archer dealer (if your near Lancaster Co check out Lancaster Archery) and shoot a variety of both.

Chances are your issues with the compound were due to it not being setup for you, get your poundage in check and have them figure out your draw length.

But most of all, have fun out there - being in the woods come fall is a fantastic time!

(Allegheny County)

Well perhaps the crossbow is better for the deer because it has been my experience that alot of bowhunters either really suck at shooting or just don't practice enough.Never fails, I see it every year.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by blushark563307 View Post
    Well perhaps the crossbow is better for the deer because it has been my experience that alot of bowhunters either really suck at shooting or just don't practice enough.Never fails, I see it every year.
    funny, I see the same thing with rifles... looks like the most reliable method is vehicle...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by blushark563307 View Post
    funny, I see the same thing with rifles... looks like the most reliable method is vehicle...
    Guys,

With everything in life you have slobs.

Slob fathers
    Slob drinkers
    Slob drivers
    Slob archery hunters
    Slob firearms hunters
    Slob fishermen

It doesn't matter what means the PCG gives us to pursue deer with, your going to have slobs. That's for sure.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Guys,

With everything in life you have slobs.

Slob fathers
    Slob drinkers
    Slob drivers
    Slob archery hunters
    Slob firearms hunters
    Slob fishermen

It doesn't matter what means the PCG gives us to pursue deer with, your going to have slobs. That's for sure.
    yeah I was being sarcastic
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

yeah I was being sarcastic
    Obviously. But I doubt Mr. Shark was.

Using a crossbow is Cheating?? Cheating?? If it's legal in your state to hunt with a crossbow then it is not cheating.

It sounds to me like some of you folks are "compound bowhunter elites" who condescend to anyone who doesn't see hunting the same way you do.

Get over it you compound bow disciples. If you were really serious about "bowhunting" you would be using a longbow. But you are not. You are using a weapon that is technically superior to REAL bows, but you act as though your weapon is some sort of traditional utensil.

Get out of here.

Foot

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by the foot View Post
    Using a crossbow is Cheating?? Cheating?? If it's legal in your state to hunt with a crossbow then it is not cheating.

It sounds to me like some of you folks are "compound bowhunter elites" who condescend to anyone who doesn't see hunting the same way you do.

Get over it you compound bow disciples. If you were really serious about "bowhunting" you would be using a longbow. But you are not. You are using a weapon that is technically superior to REAL bows, but you act as though your weapon is some sort of traditional utensil.

Get out of here.

Foot
    seriously how the hell do we keep getting random trolls from other states posting on these forums? Don't people have their own forums to post in?

As for elites... yup, damn right. The reason the archery season is so long is because its harder, the success rate is way lower and you need to get closer to the deer.

in the middle of the archery season there is inline season, senior citizen/kid season, turkey season, small game season, winter flintlock season and now there is even late season rifle throughout the whole winter season in some areas.

So yeah, that limited amount of time that BOWHUNTERS get in the woods is special, yes we are selfish, is it the same as using a longbow? not exactly, is it damn close? yes, the mechanics are the same, wait until a deer gets within 30 yards of you, draw the bow back, hold for the shot, hold longer, place the pin right for the yardage, wait for the leg to move forward, hold longer, then release

crossbow is rest the stock on whatever you have handy, look through your scope, put the pre-setup crosshair on the animal, pull the trigger whenever you are tired of looking through the scope.

Crossbow is short range rifle hunting for people to lazy to practice with a bow.

anyone who is saying "you need to practice with a crossbow" is trying to make themselves feel better or hasn't shot one. You are using optics and shooting off a rest, normally from a seated position. You don't even need to dial in for different yardages, just set it for 20 and the rest are already there (in theory)... if you are a rifle shooter and you can't get a crossbow "woods ready" in under an hour something is wrong with your xbow

Now why should someone who is going to use a rifle at (hopefully) 40 yards or less be out in the woods for the amount of time that Archery season is open?

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. If Xbow hunters want to be in the woods so badly with their xbows then get a season created for them, stay the hell out of archery season though!

And for the record, last year and the year before I saw several xbow hunters in the woods. including one who was kind enough to entertain me with his tails of how horrible his season was because his "darts" kept falling short of what he was shooting at, another who had already wounded 3 deer this year (no recovery), and several who thought that orange laws didn't apply to them since they didn't have a rifle (turkey season? whats that). Also, people are fucking BRAVE about how they walk around with the xbows at the ready! wow, Trigger safety isn't the only thing you have to worry about with them guys! (are there safe, ethical, law abiding hunters? yes absolutely!)

btw -none of this applies to someone who is physically unable to shoot a bow!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast