Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Letter to BJ's Wholesalers

I am writing in order to receive clarification on BJ's policy on customers carrying weapons for self defense.

My wife and I were paying a visit to the BJ's location along Airport Road in Allentown, PA yesterday, April the 9th.

For self defense purposes I carry a handgun in an exposed holster on my hip. Open carry is legal in the state of Pennsylvania.

With that said, my wife and I had been in the store for a good 35-40 minutes, collecting various groceries and laundry products we needed back home. We had stopped in the movie section to see what Blu-Ray discs were on sale before heading over to the refrigerated and frozen aisles. It was at this point we were approached by a manager named XXXXXXXXX.

For the record, he was very cordial and I am not writing this as a means of getting anybody in trouble. He explained to me that BJ's forbids the carrying of weapons by its customers within its stores, either openly as I typically do or concealed as many others in this state practice. I asked him why there were no signs clearly marking this on the door to the building, to which he replied he had put in a request to corporate about it but had heard nothing more.

XXXXXXXXX then told me I had to leave, which my wife and I both did. He did allow us to purchase what we had already selected, but we were prevented from finishing our trip and getting the perishables we needed.

To remedy this, we went over to the Sam's Club which is just up the road. Wal-Mart Corporation abides by state law with regards to its customers carrying weapons, so we had no problem going in there and spending approximately $110 on goods we otherwise would have purchased at BJ's.

My question to BJ's corporate is this: was XXXXXXXXX correct when he told me that it is BJ's corporate policy that its customers are not allowed to carry weapons into their stores, even if the state that location is in authorizes it? Again, in Pennsylvania citizens may carry handguns both concealed and openly.

And, if this is the case, why are there no signs on the front of the building indicating that weapons are not allowed?

I await your response regarding this issue before setting foot into either this BJ's location or any others. For the time being, I will be frequenting Sam's Club, as I know they respect a citizen's right to self defense.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Lexington
    Member # 00000000000

-------------------------------------------------------------

Three points to make here:

1. I sort of wish I had just left the store at that point and not purchased anything, but as stated he was pretty apologetic about the whole situation. He seemed to sincerely think that BJ's corporate policy is for its customers to not be armed while shopping inside. And he may be correct. I just wanted to contact corporate for clarification, because sometimes people get what's in the employee handbook mixed up with what customers can and cannot do.

2. My wife and I did have a positive encounter at check-out, which makes me glad we did decide to purchase what we had before continuing on to Sam's. The cashier asked if I was a policeman, and I told her no. I thought I was going to have to explain that the manager already told us about their policy and blah blah blah. To my surprise, she just smiled and said, "Oh, you just carry? Cool! My Dad does the same thing!" So, we had a quick discussion about what he carries and what I carry. Definitely a good encounter there.

3. If I had known that Sam's Club sold Gold Peak tea at the concession area I wouldn't have even bothered with BJ's in the first place! Got to love the sweet tea.

Anyway, I will post more when (and if) I hear back from BJ's. If it is their policy, I will be sending them our membership cards with another letter. I have no problem respecting their wishes concerning firearms, but I do take issue with them not having it posted if this is the case. We wouldn't have become members if this was public knowledge.

(Berks County)

Exclamation Re: Letter to BJ's Wholesalers

"Dear LEXINGTON,

Thank you for contacting BJ'S Member Care. I would be more than happy to further assist you with this issue. I do need to get further information in regards to BJ'S policy with hand guns. Once I have received information back from Home Office I will email you back with a reply. Thank you

Sincerely,
    XXXX

BJ's Member Care Services"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not an answer yet, but I thought I would post that they did respond and are working to resolve the issue.

Plus, that was a fast reply for a Sunday!
    Last edited by Lexington; April 10th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: Letter to BJ's Wholesalers

Wow, that was a fast reply. Although not an answer.

In for an answer, they might shoot you some coupons or something too.

(Columbia County)

At least they are gonna check into it for you and hopefully they won't just blow it off.

(Allegheny County)

Good job pursuing the issue with a letter. You're a better man than I am though, 'cause I would've told the manager to kindly put everything back for me and left without spending a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Good job pursuing the issue with a letter. You're a lesser man than I am though, 'cause I would've told the manager to kindly put everything back for me and left without spending a penny.
    I fixed it for ya.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Good job pursuing the issue with a letter. You're a better man than I am though, 'cause I would've told the manager to kindly put everything back for me and left without spending a penny.
    +1

As of the OP, you used the word "weapon" on several occasions. This word gives people bad impression about the topic (firearms). Weapon is something you kill with, and we all know - killing is bad. Words like "handgun" or "sidearm" or "firearm" are in general less alarming and more psychologically neutral.
    Je suis déplorable

As a general rule, never ask for a sign to be put up.

Oh, and I would have walked out and not paid for a damn thing.

Good letter. I understand why you bought the stuff already in the cart, but it does send more of a message if you state that you can either complete your shopping or not, and you're unwilling to buy just some of the items and then have to remember what you bought here and what you still need, as you complete the shopping at their competitor.

If it's their secret policy, let them send a flunky around to restock the items in your cart. Maximize the loss of revenue from you.

If that store refuses to allow firearms, then make it known here, and everyone in their customer area should send weekly photocopies of their WalMart and Costco receipts to BJ's corporate office, with a brief, polite note of explanation. "Your 'no-guns' policy at this location forced me to buy these items from your competitor. Please advise me when you welcome my business again."
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast