Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: accuracy .223

Question accuracy .223

I recently purchased a 700 Remington varmit rifle in .223. Can anyone, based on experience, tell me what is the most accurate factory loaded ammo for shooting off a bench rest at 100 yards? The barrel is 26 inches long and has a 1:12 twist.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: accuracy .223

You'll have to try a few different makes, weights, etc yourself. Each make, model, manufacturer, and individual gun is a beast of it's own. Two guns from the same make and model make like different ammo's.

Try out Winchester's 45gr White Box first. Many 1:12" twist guns like it. Dont go any heavier than 55grs with that twist rate.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint and also a Browning Abolt vamint both in 223 and both guns really shoot the Fiochhi 50 grain vmax bullets really well and I will typically get 1/2"-3/4" accuracy from both guns with this bullet. The best part is you can normally get this ammo for around 20-25 bucks for a 50 round box from cabelas or midway. Dont let the low price fool you this ammo is really great.

Smile Re: accuracy .223

Thanks to all for the info. I,ll try the ammo that you all mentioned. After printing 36 three shot groups at 100 yards, adding their c-t-c and dividing by 36, I get an average of 11/16 inch with Hornady 55 gr. psp Training ammo. This is the best so far. Remington psp, federal fmj, and PMC fmj all 55 gr., spread to average of 1.5 inches. Silver Bear 55 gr. hp spread out to 3.25 inches. Perhaps 3/4 is as much as can be expected from this very nice rifle. I'll keep trying, thats what it's all about. There is no such thing as a satisfied paper-puncher.

That's good shooting for a new gun, when it breaks in it will do better then that. Record the rounds that print best until you find the round or rounds that are the rifles favorite. If that don't fit your fancy its time to start reloading with such a fine rifle I bet you can do 1/2" at a 100 yards.

(Centre County)

I have a very different rifle than you, a SPS Tactical (20 inch barrel, 1:9 twist), but the best groups I've had were with Hornady TAP 75gr. 1/4 inch groups at 100yd. I've also had great success with 53gr V-max Superformance Varmint and Varmint Express loads, both from Hornady. 1/2 inch groups at 100yd.

A grain of salt, though. My rifle is crazy picky with ammo. WWB and Remington Express Rifle rounds both ended up with greater than 3 inch groups at 100yd with several WWB groups around 9 inches (!). That's fo real, dog. Same rifle, same conditions, same day as the 1/2 inch groups.

Agree with above. Pick up some different ammo and shoot the sh!t out of it. Chances are what works in my rifle won't in yours. It's a bitch having to go out and spend several hours with your rifle and a couple buddies figuring out which load(s) it likes, but, I'm sure your up to it......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.