Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 222 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper's OC log

(Delaware County)

Default Viper's OC log

I had one of these a while ago, but with the hubub surrounding all the negative encounters lately, I wanted to make sure to show how rare they actually are.

Disclaimer: please keep in mind - I do not OC for attention. I OC because it's most comfortable for me, because I appreciate the deterrent factor, and because it's an excellent icebreaker for those who would like to learn more about firearms and the laws surrounding them but don't know who to ask.

Also, most importantly, I value my ability to defend myself and my family.

INDEX

Other Relevant Threads:

April 9th, 2011

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I spent a large part of the day out. We got breakfast at a local diner (the same one I was questioned by the police at the month after I started carrying) and I did notice a few looks from patrons - most of them appeared to be "Is that a real gun?" rather than "OMG he has a gun!!1!" The owner came by and said hello, but didn't mention it and was rather pleasant.

We went to an arts and crafts place where one of my friends works, and I started painting a big clay dragon. The place was full of kids and their parents, as there were three birthday parties scheduled that day. No one said a word, the cops weren't called, and I happily painted half of my dragon before I got too cross-eyed to continue and needed to put it off til next time. A few of the parents and at least one 5 year old saw it, but none seemed too bothered.

While standing outside on the sidewalk of the strip mall with my friend (she needed a smoke break), I stood with my back to the big concrete pillar that supports the overhang. Since it was the first really beautiful Saturday of the season, EVERYONE was out - and I did get a few looks. No one said anything, but a few cute girls had googly-eyes and a few white "gangster" types got very green as they looked me over.

Afterwards, we went to WalMart to pick up a few things, including some extra .40 ammo for our upcoming range trip. Not a single word was said to me and no one seemed to notice, not even the clerk at the ammo counter who engaged us in a conversation for a few minutes - very nice guy, he was.

--end of log entry--
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; April 2nd, 2020 at 01:29 PM.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Viper's OC log

I find these OC logs interesting.
    Hope to read more about your public OC experiences.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Afterwards, we went to WalMart to pick up a few things, including some extra .40 ammo for our upcoming range trip.
    Did Philly Gestapo return your P85 eventually?
    Je suis déplorable

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Did Philly Gestapo return your P85 eventually?
    Yes, I went to City Hall and picked it up a few months ago - but they "destroyed" $50 worth of my ammunition (Hornady Critical Defense is expensive!).

Interestingly, when I went to City Hall (hadn't been there since I was like 9 and for a school field trip), I had to ask a LEO how to get into the damned building. He pointed me to the corner, where there were doors. As I walked away, he called out to me again -

"Hey, Sir? Are you a cop?"
    "Nope!"
    "What are you, then?"
    "Just an armed citizen."
    "Oh - you can't take guns into City Hall. You have to go to the Criminal Justice Center across the street to check it before you go in."
    Junior

(Columbia County)

Glad to hear you and your girlfriend had a uneventful day out.That's the way it should be.But really glad to hear Philly's finest or worst didn't give you no B.S.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    But really glad to hear Philly's finest or worst didn't give you no B.S.
    Thanks! However, we also didn't GO to Philly...hehe. We're gonna go out tonight, so I should update this evening.
    Junior

(Columbia County)

My mistake there Viper,thought you guys went to Philly.And what I meant about Philly P.D. not giving you any B.S. was when you went to pick up your P85 they confiscated.Not trying to hijack your thread here,but I was wondering what your pistol of choice is when you O.C.?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    My mistake there Viper,thought you guys went to Philly.And what I meant about Philly P.D. not giving you any B.S. was when you went to pick up your P85 they confiscated.Not trying to hijack your thread here,but I was wondering what your pistol of choice is when you O.C.?
    Well, they did destroy $50 of my ammunition, which is going to hopefully be rolled up into the evidence for my lawsuit with the PPD. My personal choice of OC gun is now my Glock 23 - I feel much more comfortable with it than the Ruger.

As for yesterday's travel's -

April 10th, 2011

My girlfriend and I went bowling in East Norriton, and I OC'd in, but I moved my holster to 6 o'clock and covered it with my shirt - I don't like having my back to so many people and not be focused on SA. I switched back to 9 o'clock OC before we left.

We also tooled around in Best Buy for a bit, and I only noticed a couple of looks from cashiers, but all was well and I kept a smile on.
    Junior

(Delaware County)

April 13th and 14th

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I stopped in at MicroCenter to pick up a few things. While standing in line, the guy behind me said,

"Is this...when did we become an Open Carry State?"
    "Pennsylvania has been for a long time...hasn't changed recently!"
    "Really? Huh....that's news to me. So you carry it out like that all the time? Does anyone give you a hard time?"
    "Yep, I always carry this way. Sometimes the police give me crap about it."
    "Hmm. Open carry state, huh...then what am I carrying around this permit for?"
    "Well, you need that to conceal, carry in Philadelphia, and take your gun in your car, for the most part. There's a few other odds and ends but those are the big ones."

And that was that.

Today, I went shooting with MostlyHarmless (awesome guy, BTW!), and was OC to Wawa, Classic Pistol, and the diner we stopped in for a bite to eat, as well as the Driver's License center this evening to update to a Big Boy license. No one said a word, and no encounters.
    Junior

(Philadelphia County)

I happily painted half of my dragon before I got too cross-eyed to continue and needed to put it off til next time. A few of the parents and at least one 5 year old saw it, but none seemed too bothered.
    Why would they be bothered? Did you paint a big penis on the dragon or something?

Page 1 of 222 123451151101 ... LastLast