Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 52 of 222 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper's OC log

(Delaware County)

Default Negative Encounter with Upper Darby PD

What is it with going to AutoZone and being harassed by the police?

I went to the AutoZone on Baltimore Pike this afternoon to pick up some new battery connectors, since my old loose ones were making my car have a ton of trouble starting. PrettyInPink and I went in, got what I needed, and went to the checkout. The cashier asked me if I was a cop or undercover agent or anything, and I said no, I just carry for protection. He said, "Oh really?" but that was the end of it.

We went back out to the parking lot and I started working on the battery connectors. I would have preferred not to work on it in the lot, but I have been having so much trouble with getting the thing started, I figured it was my best bet, especially if I needed any more parts.

While working under the hood, a big white work pickup came by - it was the man who was in the checkout line behind us. He said,

"I just wanted to let you know - I was standing behind you in line - in the state of Pennsylvania you can't carry a gun openly like that."
    "I appreciate your opinion, but that's not correct. Have a great day."
    "Yes it is - you have to carry it concealed! Do you want me to show you?" This even make PiP turn around with a look of amusement.
    "Look, unless you actually know what the hell you're talking about, you shouldn't go around spouting off opinions to people. You obviously have no clue about the subject, so keep your opinions to yourself."
    "Hey man, I didn't come over here talking down to you - I was trying to be nice..."
    "Like I said, I appreciate your input, but it's not needed. Have a nice day."

He eventually drove off after another brief exchange of words.

A few minutes passed as I was working on trying to get my old, corroded battery connectors off, and we began to hear sirens off in the distance. They started getting closer, so I had PiP take my phone and begin recording. An Upper Darby police officer pulled into the parking lot, parked in the next section over, and got out of his cruiser. He came over and greeted us.

I am going to elaborate on the remainder of the encounter later on this evening. The police spent 22 minutes harassing me and I will put the conversation here, since I made sure it was recorded.

Default Re: Viper's OC log

Is this the store next to the home dumpster?

(Delaware County)

He probably called the police on you AND was watching from a short distance away

Looking forward to the audio

Please post the officers names too, so all who visit here know who the untrained officers are and
    How they REALLY conduct themselves
    Last edited by BimmerJon; August 25th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Negative Encounter with Upper Darby PD

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I am going to elaborate on the remainder of the encounter later on this evening. The police spent 22 minutes harassing me and I will put the conversation here, since I made sure it was recorded.
    Oh, this is gonna be fun. I can skip the RedBox movies tonight.

(Luzerne County)

I guess he showed you..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    DOE!

I dunno, you shoulda had him attempt to show his proof, I'm sure it was another one of those "It's a License to CONCEAL Firearms!". Had the guy back in appliances at Lowes of Avondale tell me that one day (He wasn't rude about it, just misinformed.).

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post
    DOE!

I dunno, you shoulda had him attempt to show his proof, I'm sure it was another one of those "It's a License to CONCEAL Firearms!". Had the guy back in appliances at Lowes of Avondale tell me that one day (He wasn't rude about it, just misinformed.).
    Yeah, I'm also curious what he thought he had that would show you he was right.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

I'm also curious to hear what happened. UD police can be very tough, believe me i know from personal experience. 11 squad cars and 1 paddy wagon at my house for fourth of july fireworks

(Delaware County)

I'm actually not going to post the audio.

The short version is this: The police came by and asked for identification. I didn't provide it, although I gave them my first name. They told me that they have a right to identify me when they get a call about me, and I disagreed. Since I was working on my car, they ran my plate to get my information, while I told them that our "mere encounter" was concluded. Over the course of 22 minutes, we sort of bickered back and forth, but I was also occupied with fixing my battery cables, so it wasn't exactly like I had anywhere else to be. In the end, they expressed their perspective, I expressed mine, and we went our separate ways when I was finished repairing my vehicle.

The thing that I have run across this weekend is that, every now and then, a person has to re-evaluate their priorities - what's important to them, why it's important, and where it fits into their lives. My little section of activism is extremely important to me, but so is doing what I think is right.

Some of you know that I recently got involved with training to become certified as a firefighter. Being a first responder naturally means that I have to interact on a professional level with other first responders, which includes the police. As a result, I am now finding myself playing an intricate balancing act between my relationship with the local authorities versus how I perform my small section of activism and civil rights enthusiasm. It's not that one of them is more important than the other, but I am finding that certain aspects of one can have a negative impact on the whole of the other, and it works both ways.

This is not to say that I am in any way changing what I do, or who I am, simply how I go about doing it. Helping my community and giving back to the people around me has always been a priority of mine, and until I started getting involved with emergency services, my activism stood alone in that regard. Now, I need to find a way to fit both of them together without jeopardizing either, or the relationships and trusts involved in working to save people's lives.

My opinion of open carry is unchanged, nor has my opinion of out rights as American citizens, and I will still do what I think is right when faced with a difficulty while exercising those liberties. However, I will no longer be maintaining this thread with new encounters or experiences.

I know that some of you will understand where I am coming from - many will even say, "I told ya so," or "I knew this would happen some day." Others might feel like I am a sell out, or like I'm giving up on something, and you're perfectly entitled to that opinion, but it's not that simple. I am just working to mold multiple priorities into my life without losing sight of any of them, or compromising my morals.

I truly appreciate what everyone here has contributed, both from those who support me and those who disagree with me. I have learned so much from being a member here and I will continue to carry out my activism in a way that is best for me - there will be more OC Rallies, Open Carry Meet & Eats, and other events that I will either attend or organize. I look forward to continuing to be a part of this community and contributing to the boards.

It's like I always tell students. .."you are the boss of you" you need to decide what to do with your life/ priorites and not worry about what others think or even justify yourself. I will miss the unique encounters though. Good luck with becoming a firefighter.

Page 52 of 222 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast