Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper's OC log

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Viper's OC log

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Bold emphasis is mine...that's most days, with exceptions like yesterday.

I took the puppy out for a walk, and it was rather busy on State Street since they do Dining Under The Stars. Maybe it wasn't a great idea to take a super-high energy puppy down there, but I forgot that they did this stuff on Wednesdays.

A woman walked over and bent down to pet Barrett without asking for permission from me first. She was using the high pitched, "OMG A PUPPEH" voice...which is somewhat to be expected. He IS a cutie.

"I'd rather you didn't." I reeled Barrett in a little bit. If she'd have asked, I probably would have said yes.
    "...Really? Why?" She had that tone in her voice, like she'd just been smacked upside the head.
    "Because I'm training him." Admittedly, I am trying to get him used to being around people without jumping all over them.
    "...And you're wearing two guns?" Mistakenly referring to the flashlight on my other side. Her voice was now dismissive and she walked away.
    I said, "No, just one," but she was already ignoring me for not letting her pet my cute puppy.
    I hate when people take it upon themselves to interject themselves into your business. It's simple common courtesy to at least ask before running your hands all over my dog. For all she knew, your dog could have been a biter, then it would have been your fault that she got bit because of her own ignorance. And what did your "wearing 2 guns" have to do with the fact that you're training your dog? There was no discernible reason for her to point that out as it had nothing to do with the situation at hand. Like I tell people around me, my gun on my hip might as well be a cell phone as far as you're concerned unless you threaten the lives of my friends and/or family.

Just wanted to say your stories are fun to read Viper, even if nothing happens. I like how precise you are with what was exactly said by you and the other party. Keep them coming, please.
    Last edited by Jon Doe; September 6th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
    Not to be confused with PAFOA member John Doe from Montgomery County, PA

(Delaware County)

PrettyInPink and I have been out and about the past couple of days, shopping, eating out, and generally just spending time together. The only comment so far throughout the weekend was a guy running a table at one of the many yard sales in Media this afternoon: "Why are you packin' heat?" - which I casually laughed off with, "All sorts of reasons."

(Beaver County)

PrettyInPink and I have been out and about the past couple of days, shopping, eating out, and generally just spending time together. The only comment so far throughout the weekend was a guy running a table at one of the many yard sales in Media this afternoon: "Why are you packin' heat?" - which I casually laughed off with, "All sorts of reasons."
    My favorite response to that question is "The same reason I wear a seatbelt in my car. I don't want or anticipate getting in an accident, but I'd like to be protected if I do."

(Delaware County)

The past week has been fairly quiet. Today we spent two and a half hours at the Flugtag, and while I'm sure some people noticed, no one ever mentioned it. I didn't notice the big "NO" sign on the gate that lists weapons as prohibited items until we left.

Later, at a pizza shop on South Street, a group of four boys, maybe in theor late teens, took note. One said, "Excuse me, officer?" I told him I wasn't police, and explained the whole open carry thing. They were from Jersey.

(Delaware County)

Everything was going well until someone had to go and think of the children.

Myself, PiP, and her daughter went to the Delaware County Fair in Granite Run Mall's parking lot, to let the little one go to town on the rides. I OC'd with my blue camo cargos and a black T-shirt. We spent damn near two hours in the fair and no one said a word.

We went into the mall for a bit to get a bite to eat, and again, quiet as it should be. Most of the people didn't notice, which is normal, and the few who did apparantly had no problem with it, which is even better.

We went back to the fair and met a few of our friends, and that's when the afternoon was mildly interrupted. As I snapped a rather impressive picture of our six year old on the freefall ride (I'll post it pending PiP's permission), the Chief of the fair's security guards (the loval fire company) tapped me on the shoulder.

"So...I know that you have the choice to freely carry your, ah...firearm...wherever you wish in PA..."
    "I stood up, just having finished snapping the set of pictures. "Can I help you?"
    The older man, outfitted in his fireman's dress uniform and brightfuckinggreen vest, seemed to expect me to know what he was going to say. "...but, uhh...this is a publically accessible area, but this is private property." (He motioned his hand in a circular motion, meaning 'this area) "And the people who run the fair would like you to not carry that out in the open."

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, but arguing it would clearly get me nowhere and only ruin the day for the family. As much as I wanted to ask him questions about who ACTUALLY owns the property we were on (and TRUST me, I really wanted to), I chose to aqcuiesce nicely to his request. But I just HAD to know what the problem was, first.

"Alright," I said to the gentleman, "but what's the problem?"

It was as if he thought I hadn't heard him the first time, or rather, hadn't comprehended. He spoke slightly slower. "I don't care if you carry it down the middle of the boulevard here with it unconcealed. I know you have the right, but...if you could just untuck your T-shirt while you're here [at the fair], we're good."

I shook my head, disregarding the statement as irrelevant since he already made himself pretty clear. "It's fine, I'll cover up..." (yes,I shivered inside as I said it, awkward to hear it come out of my own mouth) "...in a moment, I just don't see anyone having a hard time with it. Been here for over two hours and no one seems to care."

"Well," as he looked over at a guy standing fifteen feet away from us with his back turned...mostly, "someone feels uncomfortable with it. Some parents don't like it because there's children here."

I'm literally there with a child. I actually brought one with me. And this guy thinks other people's children are less safe with me around than when I have a shirt covering my gun.

WHAT?!

After we left about half an hour later, we went to dinner at a nearby BBQ place. Not a word was said, although a few heads did turn, that I noticed.

(Pike County)

"Well," as he looked over at a guy standing fifteen feet away from us with his back turned...mostly, "someone feels uncomfortable with it. Some parents don't like it because there's children here."
    So did someone actually complain of that Chief was just a mindreader?

You did the right thing in the end. It's time for political activism and time to squeese the most fun out of the last sunny days.
    Je suis déplorable

Everything was going well until someone had to go and think of the children.

Myself, PiP, and her daughter went to the Delaware County Fair in Granite Run Mall's parking lot, to let the little one go to town on the rides. I OC'd with my blue camo cargos and a black T-shirt. We spent damn near two hours in the fair and no one said a word.

We went into the mall for a bit to get a bite to eat, and again, quiet as it should be. Most of the people didn't notice, which is normal, and the few who did apparantly had no problem with it, which is even better.

We went back to the fair and met a few of our friends, and that's when the afternoon was mildly interrupted. As I snapped a rather impressive picture of our six year old on the freefall ride (I'll post it pending PiP's permission), the Chief of the fair's security guards (the loval fire company) tapped me on the shoulder.

"So...I know that you have the choice to freely carry your, ah...firearm...wherever you wish in PA..."
    "I stood up, just having finished snapping the set of pictures. "Can I help you?"
    The older man, outfitted in his fireman's dress uniform and brightfuckinggreen vest, seemed to expect me to know what he was going to say. "...but, uhh...this is a publically accessible area, but this is private property." (He motioned his hand in a circular motion, meaning 'this area) "And the people who run the fair would like you to not carry that out in the open."

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, but arguing it would clearly get me nowhere and only ruin the day for the family. As much as I wanted to ask him questions about who ACTUALLY owns the property we were on (and TRUST me, I really wanted to), I chose to aqcuiesce nicely to his request. But I just HAD to know what the problem was, first.

"Alright," I said to the gentleman, "but what's the problem?"

It was as if he thought I hadn't heard him the first time, or rather, hadn't comprehended. He spoke slightly slower. "I don't care if you carry it down the middle of the boulevard here with it unconcealed. I know you have the right, but...if you could just untuck your T-shirt while you're here [at the fair], we're good."

I shook my head, disregarding the statement as irrelevant since he already made himself pretty clear. "It's fine, I'll cover up..." (yes,I shivered inside as I said it, awkward to hear it come out of my own mouth) "...in a moment, I just don't see anyone having a hard time with it. Been here for over two hours and no one seems to care."

I'm literally there with a child. I actually brought one with me. And this guy thinks other people's children are less safe with me around than when I have a shirt covering my gun.

WHAT?!

After we left about half an hour later, we went to dinner at a nearby BBQ place. Not a word was said, although a few heads did turn, that I noticed.

The Granite Run Mall is run by a management company (forget which one) and does have a no guns policy. If you go in the building, find the long hallways leading down to the bathrooms, they have the policy posted outside the bathrooms. It's on the list somewhere. I have also seen it posted on pop up signs around the mall that appear and disappear with regularity.

They own the parking lot where the fair is being held. I have never seen any signs posted at the fair when it is held there.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    So did someone actually complain of that Chief was just a mindreader? I'm not really sure. I chose not to pursue it since the tone of his voice made it clear that he wasn't interested in an argument about, for, or regardless of, politics or opinions. I am reasonably sure that the chief himself would never have known I were even carrying at all had someone not come up to him and told him, and therefore, I don't blame him at all - he has the shitty job of coming over and risking a spirited political debate with some "activist." I gots no beef with him at all, so I chose not to continue pressing for details.

You did the right thing in the end. It's time for political activism and time to squeese the most fun out of the last sunny days. I must admit, it was almost certainly more fun chatting with friends, having a nice time in the beautiful weather, and not being sour about being asked to leave, than would have been taking the effort to make a statement.
    My answers in red. Thanks.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    The Granite Run Mall is run by a management company (forget which one) and does have a no guns policy. If you go in the building, find the long hallways leading down to the bathrooms, they have the policy posted outside the bathrooms. It's on the list somewhere. I have also seen it posted on pop up signs around the mall that appear and disappear with regularity.

They own the parking lot where the fair is being held. I have never seen any signs posted at the fair when it is held there.
    Thanks a lot, asshole. Now I can't say I didn't know the mall had a no guns policy. Fuck.

Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast