Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Need Opinions: What Sig P220 Model To Buy and Why?

Sig has discontinued a number of models recently and from what is currently being offered your choices are very limited.

Since this is to be a night stand gun, the full-size is a better option than the Carry. Actually, aside from the weight, due to the longer barrel, it is just as easy to carry a full-size as it is to carry a Carry size. Barrel length is not hard to hide, it is the grip frame that most often prints, and the grip is the same on the Carry and full-size.

The full-size regular P220R SAO does not have a beavertail (nor does the SAO Carry), but, as has already been pointed out, it is pretty much cosmetic - don't know of anyone that has suffered hammer bite with a Sig classic P-series. As you have already noted the ergonomics are excellent.

Which leaves us only the Super Match. Has a rail. Has a beavertail. Is SAO. The barrel is longer on this model than the standard full size (5" v 4.4") and it is more $$$$$. Will also be harder to find.

I didn't feel like downloading the entire CDNN catalog (your link), so not sure which model you are describing. The aluminum grips were standard on the Platinum series guns and also the "Dark" series. What is being offered is one of the discontinued models and that is a very good price.

As far as the purists are concerned, I'm not sure when they started making SAO versions of the P220, but I believe that it was after the folded-slide, all-German era, so that option is out. Current Sigs are excellent guns - buy with confidence.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    That sounds like a good deal to me.
    Although, I dont know much about the new aluminum grips that Sig has been selling. My concern was that in cold weather, metal grips would be a shock to your hand.

And as a matter of fact, I recently started a thread about that very topic looking for advice: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/13...uer-grips.html

But for $649 + shipping and transfer fees, I think you could save a little money by going that route.

But to be on the safe side, you may wan to find a Sig dealer in your area just to hold and feel the difference between the full size and "carry" models.

They even make a smaller 220 called the "compact". But that model doesn't come with the rail.
    Well I have a potential trade that is pending with a forum member who is actually from Maryland. If it works out, it'd be everything I want. (Pics below)

I will definitely look into sizing up the P220 models at my local dealer...However, around here I hate that pressure of the 'used car salesmen' like dealers in my area. They're typically overly pushy and arrogant. Maybe a big box retailer like Bass Pro, Gander, or Cabelas would be ideal for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I'm not a fan of the SAO, but that looks like a good price for a new one. Throw the holster away & get a good one though. It's free for a reason.
    Any particular reason, or just personal preference?

And yes, that holster isn't a big selling point for me, but its nice that they 'sweeten' the deal with that addition. My open carry rig is a Safariland 6380 for my fullsize G21 with tac-lite. What a damn fine piece of equipment.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Sig has discontinued a number of models recently and from what is currently being offered your choices are very limited.

Since this is to be a night stand gun, the full-size is a better option than the Carry. Actually, aside from the weight, due to the longer barrel, it is just as easy to carry a full-size as it is to carry a Carry size. Barrel length is not hard to hide, it is the grip frame that most often prints, and the grip is the same on the Carry and full-size.

The full-size regular P220R SAO does not have a beavertail (nor does the SAO Carry), but, as has already been pointed out, it is pretty much cosmetic - don't know of anyone that has suffered hammer bite with a Sig classic P-series. As you have already noted the ergonomics are excellent.

Which leaves us only the Super Match. Has a rail. Has a beavertail. Is SAO. The barrel is longer on this model than the standard full size (5" v 4.4") and it is more $$$$$. Will also be harder to find.

I didn't feel like downloading the entire CDNN catalog (your link), so not sure which model you are describing. The aluminum grips were standard on the Platinum series guns and also the "Dark" series. What is being offered is one of the discontinued models and that is a very good price.

As far as the purists are concerned, I'm not sure when they started making SAO versions of the P220, but I believe that it was after the folded-slide, all-German era, so that option is out. Current Sigs are excellent guns - buy with confidence.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Thank you for the information Bob, it is appreciated. I have attached a screen shot of the catalog for your review.

Not to challenge anything you said, but just for clarification. I was under the impression that Sig offer the P220 Elite model, both in carry and standard length. Both feature the beaver tail. Is that one of the discontinued models that you were referring to?

(Lackawanna County)

I use to own a lot of diff P220s. I had a Sig p220 Match Elite and 2 German sig p220 sports. I no longer like the P220s. Heres why. For one reason the stainless sigs are just too heavy. IMO it doesnt make the gun any more accurate. My plain old Colt 1911 is way easier to shoot than any p220 i have ever shot. If the sig P220 had a high cap mag i think i would give it another shot. But when you get down to it, it only has 8 rounds. The same as the 1911. and the 1911 is more accurate for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
    Not to challenge anything you said, but just for clarification. I was under the impression that Sig offer the P220 Elite model, both in carry and standard length. Both feature the beaver tail. Is that one of the discontinued models that you were referring to?
    The Elite models are still available in both lengths, just not in the SAO configuration you stipulated.

If I were you and wanted a SAO P220R, I'd jump all-over that CDNN deal. It would be the standard model (still carried) but with the addition of Hogue aluminum grips and night sights - that's one hell of a deal - that is way under dealer cost.

Good luck. You won't be sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Personal opinion, if I was going to buy a single action .45, I'd buy a Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

It's the same money and a nicer gun. If I was going to buy a SIG it'd be SA/DA. The reason those CDNN SIGs are such a great price is because of that SAO feature.

I was going to buy a CDNN SIG from the last batch they advertised but I waited and got a stainless P220 Sport because I really wanted the DA. And I think it was a good decision. Cost me an extra $200.00 though so whether that's worthwhile to anyone else or not is debatable.

Of course, that one you're looking at is a damn nice gun and if it turns out the DA is important then you'll just have to get it a little brother or sister.
    Last edited by johnfritz; April 9th, 2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: DA reasoning.
    Johnnie F.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Daddy View Post
    I use to own a lot of diff P220s. I had a Sig p220 Match Elite and 2 German sig p220 sports. I no longer like the P220s. Heres why. For one reason the stainless sigs are just too heavy. IMO it doesnt make the gun any more accurate. My plain old Colt 1911 is way easier to shoot than any p220 i have ever shot. If the sig P220 had a high cap mag i think i would give it another shot. But when you get down to it, it only has 8 rounds. The same as the 1911. and the 1911 is more accurate for the most part.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Now don't get me wrong, I own 1911's...I LOVE 1911's, but I'm not in the market for another one at this time. I have never owned a Sig, but after firing my buddies p229 and handling a p220...I think that it's time I dip my feet in this market.

The Elite models are still available in both lengths, just not in the SAO configuration you stipulated.

If I were you and wanted a SAO P220R, I'd jump all-over that CDNN deal. It would be the standard model (still carried) but with the addition of Hogue aluminum grips and night sights - that's one hell of a deal - that is way under dealer cost.

Good luck. You won't be sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    The way you worded that made me contemplate putting a dent on my one and only credit card to fund this purchase in fear that they were going to sell out sometime soon, haha. I'm glad everyone is drawing the same conclusion about the CDNN deal. If my trade falls through, it will be my backup. Something will eventually give shortly, and regardless I will post my pictures and decision as soon as it occurs.

Another question: The DA/SA versions seem to be so popular...why? Is it the decocking lever and security it offers the carrier? Is the SAO version more trouble/worrisome?

Would you personally go for the trade of the pistol I posted pictures of, or the one from CDNN?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
    Personal opinion, if I was going to buy a single action .45, I'd buy a Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

It's the same money and a nicer gun. If I was going to buy a SIG it'd be SA/DA. The reason those CDNN SIGs are such a great price is because of that SAO feature.

I was going to buy a CDNN SIG from the last batch they advertised but I waited and got a stainless P220 Sport because I really wanted the DA. And I think it was a good decision. Cost me an extra $200.00 though so whether that's worthwhile to anyone else or not is debatable.

Of course, that one you're looking at is a damn nice gun and if it turns out the DA is important then you'll just have to get it a little brother or sister.
    Now when you say stainless, are you referring to their polished versions that they offer? I hear that they are heavier, do you agree?

What is the appeal/selling point of the DA/SA variants in your opinion?

Would you personally go with the pistol pictured of my potential trade, or the CDNN pistol?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by whiff45 View Post
    diamond plate
    He's referring to this, http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...ond-plate.aspx

But it might not be a good idea, specs say it weighs 30.4lbs!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
    Now when you say stainless, are you referring to their polished versions that they offer? I hear that they are heavier, do you agree?

What is the appeal/selling point of the DA/SA variants in your opinion?

Would you personally go with the pistol pictured of my potential trade, or the CDNN pistol?
    DA/SA or SAO - it's really personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Of the DA/SA offerings out there I like the Sig system. There are really four integral safety systems in the gun. When SOCOM was soliciting bids for a new .45, one of the specifications was an external safety. The Sig 220 was the only gun to be granted an exemption from that spec. Says a lot.

If your question (SS=heavier?) was relative to Sigs, then yes and no.The guns that are listed in the catalog as SS and are all silver, both the frame and the slide are SS and yes they are the heaviest in that model line. Currently catalogged Sigs all have milled SS slides - left natural for tu-tones and having a nitron finish on the black guns. The frame is an aluminum alloy. Recently, they have started marketing all-SS guns with an all nitron (black) finish. To confuse the issue further, older P220's and P226's (as well as P225's and P228's) all had carbon steel "folded" slides (fabricated from sheet) as opposed to the SS milled slides used today. They could be all black, tu-tone or all silver, but the silver on these was electroless nickel, IIRC. Some Sig-a-philes prefer the folded slide guns - myself among them. While I haven't weighed them, my full size P220R with a folded slide seems lighter than my smaller P239 with a SS slide.

Can't comment on your trade deal since I don't know the value of the trade goods. I've made it clear that I prefer the full-size vs. the carry because I see no benefit to the carry - but that's my opinion. The CDNN deal is smokin' the grips and nightsights add appx $200 (MSRP) to the price of a base gun. But depending on your trade goods that may be the better deal - only you can decide that.

Be warned Sigs are like potato chips - you can't have just one. Welcome to the Signess.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    He's referring to this, http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...ond-plate.aspx

But it might not be a good idea, specs say it weighs 30.4lbs!!!!!
    Wow, 30 pounds...I can't even wrap my head around the logic behind Sig producing that boulder. I suppose you'd develop solid deltoids after frequent range trips, haha.

DA/SA or SAO - it's really personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Of the DA/SA offerings out there I like the Sig system. There are really four integral safety systems in the gun. When SOCOM was soliciting bids for a new .45, one of the specifications was an external safety. The Sig 220 was the only gun to be granted an exemption from that spec. Says a lot.

If your question (SS=heavier?) was relative to Sigs, then yes and no.The guns that are listed in the catalog as SS and are all silver, both the frame and the slide are SS and yes they are the heaviest in that model line. Currently catalogged Sigs all have milled SS slides - left natural for tu-tones and having a nitron finish on the black guns. The frame is an aluminum alloy. Recently, they have started marketing all-SS guns with an all nitron (black) finish. To confuse the issue further, older P220's and P226's (as well as P225's and P228's) all had carbon steel "folded" slides (fabricated from sheet) as opposed to the SS milled slides used today. They could be all black, tu-tone or all silver, but the silver on these was electroless nickel, IIRC. Some Sig-a-philes prefer the folded slide guns - myself among them. While I haven't weighed them, my full size P220R with a folded slide seems lighter than my smaller P239 with a SS slide.

Can't comment on your trade deal since I don't know the value of the trade goods. I've made it clear that I prefer the full-size vs. the carry because I see no benefit to the carry - but that's my opinion. The CDNN deal is smokin' the grips and nightsights add appx $200 (MSRP) to the price of a base gun. But depending on your trade goods that may be the better deal - only you can decide that.

Be warned Sigs are like potato chips - you can't have just one. Welcome to the Signess.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Thank you for all of the information Bob. I've read over similar facts on Wikipedia but your breakdown was much more concise and focused. This thread has really helped influence my decision, which is still not exactly set in stone.

(Indiana County)

That Diamond Plate 220 sure is a nice pimp gun, and they meant ounces, not pounds...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast