Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default LTCF app questions

In the application for LTCF there are several boxes to check for "Reason". (I'm working from memory here.) If I recall they are: Collecting, Self-Defense, Target, Hunting.

I checked "Target", as did my wife when she got her LTCF, because that's what we do. The card we received has "Self-Defense" as the reason. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm curious why the default reason is "Self-Defense".

A fellow I know is Mennonite and got his LTCF a while back and was very concerned about this. Since he's Mennonite, he doesn't carry for self-defense and doesn't believe in it. (He's a target shooter.) When he tried to get it changed, they turned him away and told him that's just the way it is, take it or leave it.

Anyone know why this is? What's the point of offering options when the license will always be for self-defense?

--Phil

(Delaware County)

Default Re: LTCF app questions

There was a time when the reason mattered, it doesn't anymore but the choices remain for some reason.

That said, "self defense" as far as carrying goes, pretty much covers you 24-7, whereas "target shooting" would appear to only cover you while on the way to the range and back. Let's say on the way home from the range you stopped for dinner, at that point you're not carrying for target practice anymore.

Bottom line, the best choice for reason is "self defense" because it covers anytime you're carrying, outside of prohibited places of course.

At least that's my take on it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    There was a time when the reason mattered, it doesn't anymore but the choices remain for some reason.

That said, "self defense" as far as carrying goes, pretty much covers you 24-7, whereas "target shooting" would appear to only cover you while on the way to the range and back. Let's say on the way home from the range you stopped for dinner, at that point you're not carrying for target practice anymore.

Bottom line, the best choice for reason is "self defense" because it covers anytime you're carrying, outside of prohibited places of course.

At least that's my take on it.
    I believe a LTCF is a LTCF regardless of the reason listed on the license. If your license says target shooting, it still exempts you from 6106, 6107, 6108, 6115, etc... But IANAL

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I believe a LTCF is a LTCF regardless of the reason listed on the license. If your license says target shooting, it still exempts you from 6106, 6107, 6108, 6115, etc... But IANAL
    If you read what I wrote, I said it would "appear" and I also said none of it matters anymore.

ETA, the only reason I went into detail was what could be perceived by a LEO who didn't know better.
    Last edited by soberbyker; April 9th, 2011 at 09:14 AM.

(Allegheny County)

theres case law that says that the reason on the license is irrelevant as was the gun listed back in the days when i got my first ltcf.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Correct, though a lot of LEOs (particularly out of state) might not see it that way. Some states do issue different "classes" of licenses. I had checked "target shooting" when I applied. The deputy slid the application back across the counter and asked me to check "self defense," which is what appears on my LTCF.

(Bucks County)

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    The reasons don't match what the statute says.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The reasons don't match what the statute says.
    Yeah, you think PSP would have updated the application when the updated the LTCF system

(Erie County)

Checked them all off, as they are all for legal purposes.

My LTCF still states self-defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Adams County)

The LTCF issued from Adams County used to say "General Use". My new one which I just got last week says "Self Defense". This is the first time in my over twenty-five years of having a LTCF, that it has not said "General Use".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast