Hi Folks, found PAFOA to be very helpful when trying to apply for my non-resident LTCF. I'm from Broome County NY. I attempted to apply on 4/8/11.

Before heading down to the sheriff's office, I called to go over the requirements. I was told that I needed my drivers license, my NYS unrestricted pistol permit, $25, and that I needed two references (same application used everywhere else). I called again the day I was planning on going just to double-check and make sure there wasn't anything special that I needed (remember, I'm from NY, where we have to sacrifice our children just to get an application for a permit).

So my friend and I hoofed it down to Towanda and found the Sheriff's office. They took our applications and started making copies of our licenses. Then one of the ladies there asked if a listed reference was a Law Enforcement Officer or resident of Bradford County. "Nooooo...?"

Apparently the Sheriff there requires that the references be from Bradford county or that they are Law Enforcement Officers. Now, as I understand it, the Sheriff is not in compliance with the law for doing this, but I know better than to argue.

So, unless you know two law enforcement officers or two people from Bradford County, don't bother going there to apply for a non-resident LTCF. Woulda been nice if they'd told me that before I drove down there.