Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bradford County Non-resident Experience

Hi Folks, found PAFOA to be very helpful when trying to apply for my non-resident LTCF. I'm from Broome County NY. I attempted to apply on 4/8/11.

Before heading down to the sheriff's office, I called to go over the requirements. I was told that I needed my drivers license, my NYS unrestricted pistol permit, $25, and that I needed two references (same application used everywhere else). I called again the day I was planning on going just to double-check and make sure there wasn't anything special that I needed (remember, I'm from NY, where we have to sacrifice our children just to get an application for a permit).

So my friend and I hoofed it down to Towanda and found the Sheriff's office. They took our applications and started making copies of our licenses. Then one of the ladies there asked if a listed reference was a Law Enforcement Officer or resident of Bradford County. "Nooooo...?"

Apparently the Sheriff there requires that the references be from Bradford county or that they are Law Enforcement Officers. Now, as I understand it, the Sheriff is not in compliance with the law for doing this, but I know better than to argue.

So, unless you know two law enforcement officers or two people from Bradford County, don't bother going there to apply for a non-resident LTCF. Woulda been nice if they'd told me that before I drove down there.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Bradford County Non-resident Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Hi Folks, found PAFOA to be very helpful when trying to apply for my non-resident LTCF. I'm from Broome County NY. I attempted to apply on 4/8/11.

Before heading down to the sheriff's office, I called to go over the requirements. I was told that I needed my drivers license, my NYS unrestricted pistol permit, $25, and that I needed two references (same application used everywhere else). I called again the day I was planning on going just to double-check and make sure there wasn't anything special that I needed (remember, I'm from NY, where we have to sacrifice our children just to get an application for a permit).

So my friend and I hoofed it down to Towanda and found the Sheriff's office. They took our applications and started making copies of our licenses. Then one of the ladies there asked if a listed reference was a Law Enforcement Officer or resident of Bradford County. "Nooooo...?"

Apparently the Sheriff there requires that the references be from Bradford county or that they are Law Enforcement Officers. Now, as I understand it, the Sheriff is not in compliance with the law for doing this, but I know better than to argue.

So, unless you know two law enforcement officers or two people from Bradford County, don't bother going there to apply for a non-resident LTCF. Woulda been nice if they'd told me that before I drove down there.
    Push the issue and get it changed. If everyone refuses to argue with him for not being in compliance with the law, nothing will ever get changed.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I had to list 2 references from in my county, too. Fortunately, my daughter had a friend whose parents liked to hunt and understood the permit process. At least it's not your home county if you choose a stronger level of diplomacy.
    ...and they have a plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Zyler12 View Post
    Push the issue and get it changed. If everyone refuses to argue with him for not being in compliance with the law, nothing will ever get changed.
    In general, I'd agree with you, but I'm not a resident of PA. IANAL, but I don't think a citizen of NY has much legal standing in that case. Not to mention, I've got a host of worse problems to address up here in NY.

I headed over to Susquehanna County, where the Sheriff's office was extremely courteous and helpful and had my permit mailed to me less than 30 days later.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    In general, I'd agree with you, but I'm not a resident of PA. IANAL, but I don't think a citizen of NY has much legal standing in that case. Not to mention, I've got a host of worse problems to address up here in NY.

I headed over to Susquehanna County, where the Sheriff's office was extremely courteous and helpful and had my permit mailed to me less than 30 days later.
    You would definitely have standing if you wanted to pursue it, at least you found a solution though.

BTW: References aren't in PA law, at all. The Pennsylvania State Police added them to the application form, but nothing in the law requires references from applicants.

that's been the rule for as long as I can remember here in the county...I just wish a permit was
    good no matter where you went...after all I think it is the same back ground check..

(Susquehanna County)

It is still this way.. Coworker just moved from NY to Bradford County. Has a NY unrestricted Pistol License. Live in a very rural corner of N.E. Bradford county.

He just called to see what he needs to do for this Monday. 2 references that are either law enforcement or "Bradford County Residents" .. WTH?
    Trying to find someone at work that is a Bradford County Resident.. thought this crap stopped.

Also talked to a friend who moved from Bradford to NY.. said when he got his there back about 2 yrs ago it took 2 weeks to get it..
    I will not complain about Susquehanna for awhile
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"