Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bedford County)

Default Private sale of a rifle?

Hey, I'm new to the forum, and as you can tell, the private sale of a firearm.

I ran a few searches, and found a lot of confusing legal jargon and arguments mostly regarding handguns.

I have an anschutz 1912 target rifle that I wish to sell. Having received a good bit of interest, I thought I should try to figure out the steps of privately selling a RIFLE to another individual. I never imagined the process would be so confusing.

So, how exactly do I go about transferring ownership once other negotiations are complete? Cash and carry? Something in front of a notary? I've heard I have to go to a gun shop and pay a fee for them to transfer records?

I'm located in PA if that's necessary information.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Private sale of a rifle?

Check out these sticky threads:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/414...nsfers-pa.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/383...-firearms.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/585...g-selling.html

Pertinent Federal Law:

1. Interstate sales/gift/transfer of ANY firearm (handgun or longarm) MUST involve a FFL on the buyers end. It is a felony under Federal law to sell to residents of another state FTF or by mail/shipping without involving a FFL on the buyers end.

2. Longarms can generally be purchased/transferred from a FFL in any state, or from a resident of your own state.

Pertinent Pennsylvania Law:

1. Face To Face transfers/sales of longarms (shotgun or rifle) are legal in Pennsylvania, between PA residents. There is no requirement to use a FFL for a transfer of a longarm in PA, as long as neither person is a "prohibited person" (legally unable to purchase a firearm ) and both are legal aged(18 or older) residents of Pennsylvania. It's SUGGESTED that you provide a Bill of Sale and check ID on purchasers.

4. You cannot sell ANY firearm of any type to a Prohibited Person, this INCLUDES BLACK POWDER FIREARMS.
    Last edited by anonymouse; April 8th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

(Jefferson County)

In addition to the post above:

If the buyer is from another state - the rifle must be transferred through a FFL in any state. For interstate transfers of handguns, the transfer must take place at a FFL in the buyer's home state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In addition to the post above:

If the buyer is from another state - the rifle must be transferred through a FFL in any state. For interstate transfers of handguns, the transfer must take place at a FFL in the buyer's home state.
    Doh. For some reason I thought he had said it was an intrastate sale. Thanks knight

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Doh. For some reason I thought he had said it was an intrastate sale. Thanks knight
    He didn't really say where the buyer was. ..so I was obligated to point out the interstate aspect of it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

In layman's terms:
    For a long gun, since you are a PA resident, as long as the buyer is a PA resident and you have no knowledge of him not being allowed to purchase/own/be in possession of a firearm, then it is a cash and carry sale unless you personally would like to have a bill of sale written out (which is recommended).
    If you are both PA residents, you can also legally mail the firearm directly to that persons home within the state through the post office.

Nothing needs notarized, no dealer involvement is required by law. There is technically no registration in PA.

If the buyer is a resident of another state, it must be sent to a FFL in that persons state. You can ship a rifle through the post office directly to the FFL, you do not need a dealer to ship it for you.

Handguns are a totally different can of worms as they must be transferred at a FFL.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    In layman's terms:
    For a long gun, since you are a PA resident, as long as the buyer is a PA resident and you have no knowledge of him not being allowed to purchase/own/be in possession of a firearm, then it is a cash and carry sale unless you personally would like to have a bill of sale written out (which is recommended).
    If you are both PA residents, you can also legally mail the firearm directly to that persons home within the state through the post office.

Nothing needs notarized, no dealer involvement is required by law. There is technically no registration in PA.

If the buyer is a resident of another state, it must be sent to a FFL in that persons state. You can ship a rifle through the post office directly to the FFL, you do not need a dealer to ship it for you.

Handguns are a totally different can of worms as they must be transferred at a FFL.
    The transfer can be done by an FFL of any state for longarms.

Handgun transfer between Pa residents related within two generations direct lineage (ascendant or decendant including adoptive) or spouses need no FFL. Otherwise the transfer must be done at an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 8th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    IANAL