Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Arrow Cops who don't take advantage of LEOSA?

I was talking with a friend of mine who is the current police chief of a very small PA boro.

He recently flew to FL and I asked him if he took his gun with him in his checked luggage and carried under LEOSA in FL.

He replied he did not know that he was able to pack a gun in a checked suitcase. Although, he did not take any checked baggage, just a carry-on.

I said "even us regular folks can take a gun in checked luggage" and he was surprised at that.

He does know about and understand LEOSA, but I got the impression he just did not want to go thru the hassle of carrying, especially since he did not realize he could put a gun in checked baggage.

Anyway... I was just surprised that he did not take advantage of the Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act, since he is absolutely qualified to do so. (carries a gun on duty and qualifies once a year with his duty weapon)
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 1st, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Cops who don't take advantage of LEOSA?

From what I gather there's a lot of cops who simply aren't gun guys, that it's simply something heavy on their belt everyday and that's it.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lycoming County)

My Brother absolutely drives me nuts. He is a SGT with PSP and he does not often carry when off duty, let alone when he travels. I have even asked him about something occurring that he may have to intercede. No real position. I have a place in NJ and I often make him take a firearm then, since I can not carry out on the boat. Maddening I say, maddening!

Be safe (and take up the slack for the .gov).

Scott

(Lancaster County)

It truly blows my mind at the numbers that do not carry off duty.

Yellowfin you make a good point, a lot of LEO are just not into guns.

I carry everywhere, all the time. Not that I plan on getting involved in situations, but it at least affords me the opportunity to act. That's not even covering the fact that there are people out there who may recognize us and have a bone to pick.

I take the safety of my family, my community, and myself personally. It is my responsibility.

I'm glad that there are so many people on the boards here that exercise their rights and carry.
    b-rad

(Carbon County)

both my neighbors were cops growing up, they didnt carry either. i guess its like any other job, you leave work, your done. go home and forget about it. i know when i leae work, i dont want to be bothered at home or when i am out.

(Philadelphia County)

My BIL is a cop. He leaves his gun in a locker at the station. So weird.

(Allegheny County)

if they dont carry a gun it reduces the chance that they will have to do anything when they arent getting paid.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    if they dont carry a gun it reduces the chance that they will have to do anything when they arent getting paid.
    Do anything??? Like what???

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I was talking with a friend of mine who is the current police chief of a very small PA boro.

He recently flew to FL and I asked him if he took his gun with him in his checked luggage and carried under LEOSA in FL.

He replied he did not know that he was able to pack a gun in a checked suitcase. Although, he did not take any checked baggage, just a carry-on.

I said "even us regular folks can take a gun in checked luggage" and he was surprised at that.

He does know about and understand LEOSA, but I got the impression he just want to go thru the hassle of carrying, especially since he did not realize he could put a gun in checked baggage.

Anyway... I was just surprised that he did not take advantage of the Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act, since he is absolutely qualified to do so. (carries a gun on duty and qualifies once a year with his duty weapon)
    Most LEO's are not gun people. They view their firearm the same way they view their handcuffs, a piece of gear worn on duty. The vast majority do not carry off-duty.

(Lancaster County)

Unhappy Re: Cops who don't take advantage of LEOSA?

All sad but true. i've known dam good officers from my dept and other depts who never carry when off duty and some have become involved in making arrest off duty. like i told them then and i would tell them now. stupid move!!!!!!!!!!what the hell good would they be if someone tried to harm them or their families while at the mall, movies, restaurant etc. i guess even some of our brothers in blue prefer to be "sheep"....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast