Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Northumberland County)

Default Old Faithful Holsters DIY write up, sort of...

(Mods please move if this not the right forum, thanks)

So I posted in the general forum about these holsters a while ago. At $32.50 shipped i decided to take a gamble and try it. for those of you who need a link, here ya go, www.oldfaithfulholsters.com . i figured to ease the minds of members on here i would take the leap and write up a semi-tutorial. i figured if i mess it up, it was only 32.50.

It took a few weeks to ship but it finally came. I ordered the standard with preformed clips, which were metal. The website has a hour long tutorial about how to make and mold the kydex, and assemble the holster.

i ordered this b/c i was like many who thought that the uglyness of crossbreed holsters looked uncomfortable and did not want to spend $80 ish on a holster i would end up hating.

So, the first step i took was to assemble a press, almost identical to that of OFH(oldfaithfulholsters). it was
    not hard at all, just a few screws and a old hinge. i then traced my glock 26 leaving a 1/2 inch around the entire gun and cut it out of plywood. i couldn't find foam so i used an old camping mat i had laying around.

After building the press it took about 10 minutes @ 300 degrees in the oven to heat up the kydex. Make sure you preheat the oven first! I put the shiny side towards the gun because i wasn't sure which to choose. i didn't use clamps to hold the press together i just used a friend to hold it down while it molded and cooled. THe kydex was like cheese when hot. it took two tries to get it molded right but the kydex was reheated and returned to a flat state after 3-5 minutes in the oven. on the second try i used a piece of wood in between the sights to gap the space so i would have a smoother draw.

After the kydex cooled, i used the OFH online tutorial to help guide me and started to cut and sand the kydex to fit the holster. Using tin snips i cut the rough shape out. Once i had a rough shape of the kydex, i drilled the kydex and leather punched the leather. At this point i did the final shaping of the kydex to match the leather. i used a disk sander and some sandpaper to finalize the shape of the kydex. i used a leather punch to make the holes in the leather. THe OFH website states to use a rubber mallet to install the t nuts but i just used a plain old hammer. After that final assembly and tweeking to get the retension just right by way of vacuum tubing being cut to fit. i used the top pre-made holes to attach the belt clips. you can choose whatever suits you best.

After about an hour and a half i finished the holster and tried it on for a test fit. I was surprised by the level of comfort. i had my doubts about this ugly holster and it was a great way to spend $32.50. with a bit of knowledge of instructions and a few tools, its an easy project to put your stamp on. sitting, driving, standing, the holster held up the first few hours i used it. one thing that i need to correct is that the mag release lever is getting pushed by the leather but a dime sized cut in the leather might fix this if it becomes a problem of my mag getting pressed while wearing the holster. So far an accidental mag release has not happened after a 1 hour and 30 minute drive, but i will still keep my eye on it. Other than that one simple thing, the rest of the holster seems to be fit the bill. THe holster is however, harder to put on than my other holsters but for my it is more comfortable to carry my glock 26 in this home-made OFH kit than in a don hume in the waist belt or binachi carrylok holsters. The printing is almost gone. So, i tried and i succeeded, if anyone has any questions i'll try to help just send me a pm. i'll update this if any changes happen to the holster. thanks, and good luck to anyone who tries this DIY route.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Old Faithful Holsters DIY write up, sort of...

Thanks for posting. That's pretty cool.

(Monroe County)

cool, looks good although the shape of the leather looks really weird?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northumberland County)

Yeah, the weird shape of the leather made me discuraged at first but is very comfy

(Berks County)

Great Post! Looks like you did fine! I'm encouraged to try it myself. Thanks

That's really cool. I appreciate you posting this as well. I bought a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe for my Sig P250 Compact and it is really comfortable as well (albeit ugly) and I can wear it all day with no printing.

However, I am going to go with this option for my Beretta 96FS though because I really don't feel like shelling out for another Crossbreed and this looks like a very solid (and cheap) option.

(Northumberland County)

I'll bemaking another holster for my 92g beretta . I can't seem to find a good fitting holster due to the thicker slide.

I know exactly what you mean, I have been using my safari land duty holster but that's not very concealable.

(Northumberland County)

UPDATE! So far the holster is working great! I did adjust the spacers and that was all. it held up during hours of driving, fishing(withy my hip-boots on) and all other sorts of daily activities with not one problem. No problems what-so-ever. I am ordering another to fit my other carry pistols as well. i carried places and even the people i went with did not even know i was CC. they even asked if i forgot my gun! nope just got a better holster.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for posting this.
    I have been thinking about a new holster, and this just might fit the bill