Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Question New Aluminum Sig Sauer Grips...

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the new grips that Sig is putting on some models. If so, what did you think of them?

Im sure they are fine in the Spring and Summer, but during the colder months they must be hell to hold bare handed.

Here are a few pics:

Sig 220 Elite :

Sig 229 Elite:

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(York County)

Default Re: New Aluminum Sig Sauer Grips...

Unless they have a very aggressive stipling/knurling pattern on them, i cant stand metal grips, the traction isnt as good as alot of the heavily textured plastic grips.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Monroe County)

The ones made by Hogue is much nicer, i wouldnt be surprise if Hogue is not the OEM.

The question is though , How do they feel in the Wintertime? Must be cold as ice! wow!

Mike.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    The ones made by Hogue is much nicer, i wouldnt be surprise if Hogue is not the OEM.

The question is though , How do they feel in the Wintertime? Must be cold as ice! wow!

Mike.

Hmmmm you might be right.

It looks like Houg does make aluminum grips for Sig's.
    They also look a lot like the ones Sig is selling.
    From the Houge site:
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=5657
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

You have two different types of aluminum grips pictured. The top picture (P220) are the current grips, and the bottom picture (P229) are discontinued.

The current aluminum grips are made by Hogue, and Sig is sourcing other Hogue grips for their extreme series also - although those are G-10.

The discontinued aluminum grips were some of the best, ergonomically, ever put on a Sig double stack pistol. Some feel they are actually thinner than the polymer OE grips, but I think the contour is just different, in that it puts "meat" where you need it and slims them down where you don't. I think these were made by Sig, in-house.

As much as I like Hogue grips, I don't like the look of the new aluminums with the Sig logo. I haven't held a gun so equipped, so I can't comment on feel, but they certainly look balkier than the old-style aluminum grips.

I have two guns equipped with the old aluminums and temperature has never been an issue. I CC so the grip is warmed by body heat. Even if you OC, it would have to be for quite a while for the grips to get cold enough to make a difference and doubt that it would affect performance (yours or the guns).

I bought the aluminums because of how they fit my hand - my preference in materials is G-10, but until they have a shape like the old aluminums, I'll stick with them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Northumberland County)

I just bought a pair of the discontinued sig aluminum grips online for $99.00. I am replacing the rosewood grips on my brand new p226 stainless elite (didnt want to damage those beautiful grips) and I have to say the old style aluminum grips are very nice aggressive stippling

(Lehigh County)

To echo what the above posters said... the old Al grips are awesome. I've only shot 1 winter with them, but had no problems on my p229 dark elite. I haven't shot the new ones... but I can tell you that I'll never get rid of the old ones. If I buy another 220/226/229 I'll be looking for an old set from a dark or plat elite...

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan1 View Post
    To echo what the above posters said... the old Al grips are awesome. I've only shot 1 winter with them, but had no problems on my p229 dark elite. I haven't shot the new ones... but I can tell you that I'll never get rid of the old ones. If I buy another 220/226/229 I'll be looking for an old set from a dark or plat elite...
    It looks like the Houge website is still selling the old style aluminum Sig grips.
    They even offer them in OD green. My favorite color!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    It looks like the Houge website is still selling the old style aluminum Sig grips.
    They even offer them in OD green. My favorite color!
    I doubt that since Hogue did not make the old style aluminum grips. They do make their own which are the same as the current Sig aluminum grips but without the logo.

I think the only place you'll be able to get the old style Sig aluminum grips is in the secondary market. There are those that purchased bunches when Sig closed them out, and are selling them on Ebay.

If grip size is not a problem (and that's not to say the G-10's are big), I'd urge you to check out the Hogue G-10 grips. All sorts of colors and patterns. I have a set of Tan G-Mascus G-10 grips on my P220R, in the Piranha pattern, here...

Good luck!

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I doubt that since Hogue did not make the old style aluminum grips. They do make their own which are the same as the current Sig aluminum grips but without the logo.

I think the only place you'll be able to get the old style Sig aluminum grips is in the secondary market. There are those that purchased bunches when Sig closed them out, and are selling them on Ebay.

If grip size is not a problem (and that's not to say the G-10's are big), I'd urge you to check out the Hogue G-10 grips. All sorts of colors and patterns. I have a set of Tan G-Mascus G-10 grips on my P220R, in the Piranha pattern, here...

Good luck!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the pics.
    I really REALLY like those grips.

And judging by your picture, the quality stippling on those grips probably works like super glue on your hand!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast