Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Thumbs down Ball or JHP best defense ammo for .380?

I read recently that ball ammo is preferred to JHP for the .380 due to deeper penetrating ability for the light round. Hadn't considered that before, but I carry a Sig p238 on occasion, always with JHP defense rounds, and these comments got me to wondering whether I was carrying the better ammo. Any thoughts or comments on this?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ball or JHP best defense ammo for .380?

I'll still shoot HP's, I would rather take a 2nd shot than have one go through.

(Bucks County)

With the sig P238 - I recommend ball ammo - Specifically Pwer ball -

They feed better and for me work without failure to feed.

I had problems feeding hornady and other hollow points.

Never had a problem with brass.

Had problems with blazer and a few hollow points.

Since I went brass and ball - no failures.

(Berks County)

It depends on the gun. if it feeds HP's reliably , they would be a better choice. The problems I find with the .380 is that the light bullet tends to ricochet. I prefer a .32 ACP, but that is just me.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

Most people think that .380 is the least personal self defense round available. Anything smaller then that its deem inadequate. Those 25 caliber handguns have fairly high body count on the street, I don't trust them. Being that some of the .380 good stuff approach 9mm velocity I'd opt for the JHP ammo even if it didn't always mushroom its still like shooting jaggered ball ammo. Except if the gun is not reliable with jhp you loose nothing shooting jhps, if the gun is reliable with this ammo, its all a plus. My 2 cent.

(Philadelphia County)

I carry ball for reliability. My LCP has 450 rounds through it and has had 6 FTF or FTE. I don't trust it's reliability with that track record. I think that the SIG will probably be fine with JHP though.

The 102gr. Remington Golden Sabre are very popular for the .380. They get good penetration (at least in gel tests) but are still a JHP design. There is also a bonded version which Remington markets as "Home Defense". You can find both at ammo to go. Just have to make sure they feed well in your pistol.
    Last edited by dkf; April 8th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

(Carbon County)

speer gold dots jhp, my 238 never had a malfunction using these

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The 102gr. Remington Golden Sabre are very popular for the .380. They get good penetration (at least in gel tests) but are still a JHP design. There is also a bonded version which Remington markets as "Home Defense". You can find both at ammo to go. Just have to make sure they feed well in your pistol.
    I'm a big fan of Golden Sabre's in 9mm. They are stupid accurate out of my G26. It's like shooting laser beams inside of 25yds. They also feed reliably and blow water jugs into oblivion. They are prone to set back however with repeated chamberings. I've noticed they start to ease back after about 2 chamberings, and the third usually stuffs the bullet a 1/4" back into the case. I would not want to fire a round like that. It's a guaranteed KB. So I keep a close eye on what round gets chambered, and how often.

As for the performance of them in .380 however... They do not expand at all out of the pocket pistols in .380. Look at the link I posted. Zero expansion. None.

This is the case with quite a few JHP in the smaller .380 guns. But worst case scenario you are shooting jagged FMJ. Not exactly a huge detriment unless you are shooting at a BG standing in front of a crowd of ppl or family members. Gel tests show most .380 FMJ in the 14-17" range for penetration. With the performing JHP's in the 9-13" range.

But I really think we all have to get our mind right about shooting anyone with anything. Expect the bullet to be coming out of the back side of them. It's the most likely scenario regardless of what round is fired as most people aren't 17" thick chest to back. Shooting long ways maybe, and bone can stop and deflect rounds. But face to face, people aren't a foot thick. Well not many anyway. So you need to be aware that bullet is coming right out the back side of the BG probably with enough energy to still kill or injure someone like you were shooting them directly.

Basic gun 101. Be aware of what is behind your target.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast