Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default My AZ CWP Application Process...

First things first… I owe HUGE “thank you’s” to forum members mrjam2jab and HiredGoon. They were extremely helpful in answering my questions (They’re both probably tired of hearing from me ), and it was actually their advice that prompted me to pursue the AZ CWP instead of FL or UT (for now).

The AZ DPS is VERY courteous, efficient, and FAST in processing these applications.

Once I decided I wanted the AZ CWP, here’s the steps required:

Familiarize yourself with the appropriate AZ statutes and requirements:

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ermits/Obtain/

Call AZ DPS or submit a web-based inquiry (I chose the latter option), requesting a CWP Application Packet:

https://www.azdps.gov/About/Contacts/Email/?c=CCW

The packet will contain the Application Form and 2 fingerprint cards. AZ does NOT require these fingerprints to be taken by L.E. Private, properly trained/certified firms can do the prints.

That being the case, I used this nice fellow right on Callowhill St. in Philadelphia for my prints (Yes, it sounds/looks sketchy, being fingerprinted in the back of a white box truck parked right near the INS building, but his credentials are legit, and his skills are apparently adequate):

http://www.wuluphotoservice.com/index.html

I needed proof of training, and lacked a PA Hunting License or Hunters’ Safety Course. So I found the closest and soonest-occurring NRA-sanctioned training I could find, which was an NRA Pistol First Steps program (but it included live-fire, so as to satisfy the FL requirements). As of now, to the best of my knowledge, AZ does NOT require a live-fire component to satisfy their training requirements. Any NRA-sanctioned safety class will suffice. I went with Jose Morales, and I would recommend his services, as he includes the FL Application Packet at no extra cost (I might or might not end up pursuing the FL option):

http://www.philadelphiafirearmstraining.com/index.html

Send in the completed application, fingerprint cards, copy of your training certification, and $60.00 money order or cashier’s check (No personal checks) using the envelope provided by AZ DPS.

AZ DPS received my application on the morning of March 23 (I used Certified Mail, Delivery Confirmation), and I received my CWP in today’s mail.

So thanks again to all the members who were helpful in my pursuit! It feels nice to know that between my PA LTCF, NH Pistol/Revolver License, and AZ CWP, I am good to go in 36 states.

Any questions that I might be able to help with, don’t hesitate to ask!

Regards,

Bones

Default Re: My AZ CWP Application Process...

Congrats, man! You're welcome. Carry on (pun intended)

(Bucks County)

(Philadelphia County)

I finally got around to submitting mine on Wednesday since my FL permit is expiring soon. Got prints done while working my paramedic shift by one of the cops on duty free of charge. Sent it regular mail on Wednesday. Will post when I get it. I will add this one to my permit collection! :-) I don't mind contributing to the economy of any state that supports the 2nd.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah I'm glad I went w/ AZ... As HiredGoon and mrjam2jab pointed out to me, it is a better value, renewals are cheaper, no notary required, no prints upon renewal required, etc.

Also, it bears repeating, that the DPS replied to my email on Monday morning, when I submitted the web inquiry on a Saturday afternoon. And did I mention that they are quick in processing the application?!

Regards,

Bones

(Philadelphia County)

[QUOTE=I needed proof of training, and lacked a PA Hunting License or Hunters’ Safety Course. So I found the closest and soonest-occurring NRA-sanctioned training I could find, which was an NRA Pistol First Steps program (but it included live-fire, so as to satisfy the FL requirements). As of now, to the best of my knowledge, AZ does NOT require a live-fire component to satisfy their training requirements. Any NRA-sanctioned safety class will suffice. I went with Jose Morales, and I would recommend his services, as he includes the FL Application Packet at no extra cost (I might or might not end up pursuing the FL option) [/QUOTE] Joey Bones post

AZ statutes legislative intent requires live fire as their statute says demonstrates profficiency with a firearm; but their statute does state currently that they will accept ANY NRA Safety class to include non live fire classes such as NRA Range Safety Officer and Refuse to be a Victim (live fire optional). AZ plans to correct that this legislative session from my talks with the CCW bureau head in AZ DPS. As far as your instructor included the FL packet I don't know why they would charge for them since FL mails them to the instructors for free.

you are correct that AZ does not require Law Enforcement to do Fingerprints and Florida does require LEO to do prints every 7 years also when you renew your FL permit.

As for my AZ permit. I mailed it out 6, April 2011 so hopefully any day. I used my NRA Instuctor and Utah Instructor card.

gbrown221
    www.team-life.org
    info@team-life.org

(Philadelphia County)

I am also going to apply to AZ. I just received the packet in the mail. Let me ask you this. I have taken two NRA pistol courses. The Basic Firearms Safety Course and the Self-Defense Course. Both courses included live fire training. I took these courses in 1999 and have the certificates. Will this be good enough for AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    I am also going to apply to AZ. I just received the packet in the mail. Let me ask you this. I have taken two NRA pistol courses. The Basic Firearms Safety Course and the Self-Defense Course. Both courses included live fire training. I took these courses in 1999 and have the certificates. Will this be good enough for AZ?
    Yes, you'll be fine with those

I mailed my app in April 7, should be here any day! I too must thank hiredgoon for the idea and for the help!
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I mailed my app in April 7, should be here any day! I too must thank hiredgoon for the idea and for the help!
    Yeah... probably in today's mail

You're welcome

And I should thank mrjam2jab, as he first got me interested in getting the AZ permit with his posts here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast