Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What do you guys think of FNH's Five Seven?

I really like the look and feel of the firearm (haven't actually shot one yet) and have it on the short list for my next pistol.

I've read some pretty cool articles, but some of the information seems conflicting. For example, I've seen the firearm heralded as a good home defense choice because it has uber-light recoil and the round won't penetrate every wall in the house. Then, in another article, I read that it has such extreme velocity that it will actually penetrate several types/brands of body armor. I'm no ballistics guy, but as a lay person that just seems contradictory. I don't really care about the wall penetration or using it an any way for HD, but that makes me not want to believe anything I read about the weapon.

Also, it seems like there are few ammo producers (maybe two?) and accordingly at this point it's a reasonably pricey gun to shoot as pistols go. I've read some opinions that buying an ammo platform supported by only one weapon is just stupid. But then again, I've read that FNH is selling the crap out of this gun so you would think that other ammo manufacturers would see the opportunity.

Finally, I've heard first hand accounts from the local gun range that it's an incredibly accurate. With high velocity and high accuracy, it seems like it would be fun to shoot at greater-than-normal handgun distances that would be better suited for optics. However, I have yet to see a good optics mounting option.

Clearly, there's a lot of thinking to be done before dropping a grand on one of these puppies. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by adoddere; April 5th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What do you guys think of FNH's Five Seven?

Me personally I think there are much better options out there for defense and some are alot cheaper than a grand.

The only reason I can see me buying one of those is just to have something differant than the rest of my guns, kinda like a novelty gun so to say.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Me personally I think there are much better options out there for defense ... kinda like a novelty gun so to say.
    Oh, there's no doubt there are better options for defense. I feel like I have those bases covered and thought it might just be fun to shoot. And like you said, to have something that's sort of a novelty I guess. Assuming the accuracy reports are valid, I'd love to dress one up with a holographic sight and fire it long distances down range, but like I said, it doesn't appear as though FNH really designed the thing with optics in mind. Perhaps that's because targeting anything over 30 meters isn't really realistic and the stuff I heard is BS. That's my concern. I'd love to hear first hand from people who own or who have shot it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    Oh, there's no doubt there are better options for defense. I feel like I have those bases covered and thought it might just be fun to shoot. And like you said, to have something that's sort of a novelty I guess. Assuming the accuracy reports are valid, I'd love to dress one up with a holographic sight and fire it long distances down range, but like I said, it doesn't appear as though FNH really designed the thing with optics in mind. Perhaps that's because targeting anything over 30 meters isn't really realistic and the stuff I heard is BS. That's my concern. I'd love to hear first hand from people who own or who have shot it.
    Without shooting one I can't say but I would not mind trying one out. That may make me want one, lol.

I own one and have put close to 400 rounds through it. What you've heard concerning accuracy and recoil is absolutely true. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it at a distance further than twenty yards, but even at that distance I was easily able to place twenty rounds into the head of a black silhouette target.

It is very loud for the size of the round and the muzzle flash resembles a decently sized fireball.

(Columbia County)

I've never shot one, but it's on my short list as well. I've held a few and I really like the feel of them, I think they look great, and I've heard great things about their accuracy.

If (when) I get one, it won't be for self defense. It will be a range toy and a novelty item. Unless I'm specifically in the market for a defensive weapon, I don't put too much weight on how well it would perform as a defensive weapon. I only use a handful of my guns for self defense purposes or any other real purpose for that matter. I have four pistols and one of my ARs that are ever used for self defense. I have two rifles and shotgun for hunting. Everything else is either novelty, collectible, or range toys.

Also, the FiveSeven is not the only gun that uses 5.7mm ammo. FN also makes the P90/PS90 as well.

(Luzerne County)

I also want one. But then again I want one of everything.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

There are a few dedicated forums to the 5.7. Try a google search. They have a ton of info to share. There is also a company called elite ammunition that makes custom rounds for it that are pretty nasty.

It is also possible to add a rail to the top of the slide to accommodate a few different options as far as optics go for the distance shooting you mentioned

It is definitely one of my favorite firearms that I own. If you get the chance to shoot one definitely take advantage of it. You won't be disappointed

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I also want one. But then again I want one of everything.
    Can't disagree with that

I've handled one a few times at a shop and came close to pulling the trigger but both times I ended up going with a different pistol. I'll end up with one soon enough but probably not before I add an HK USP to the collection. Then I'll have to get a P90 to go along with it, which really makes it an expensive acquisition.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Without shooting one I can't say but I would not mind trying one out. That may make me want one, lol.
    i'll bring mine to the group shoot.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast