Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Why do handguns have to go through an FFl, while long guns do not?

One of my buddies in Ohio in particular has a gigantic collection consisting of mostly handguns, and when I spoke to him last night he told me that out of the dozens of various firearms that he owns, only maybe 5% are on paper, while the rest are all bought private sale with no transfer fees, probably saved him a couple thousand dollars. Why does PA force handguns to go through FFLs, while Ohio and many other States do not?

How does PA stack up to other states as far as strictness on gun control? I always thought that we were one of the freest states when it came to our gun laws, is this not true?
    Last edited by Tech; April 4th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Why do handguns have to go through an FFl, while long guns do not?

im guessing the reason is becuase of the concealabilty of them. They dont want the pistols just being passed around through private sales and in the hands of a felon. Thats my guess which may be right or maybe wrong

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    im guessing the reason is becuase of the concealabilty of them. They dont want the pistols just being passed around through private sales and in the hands of a felon. Thats my guess which may be right or maybe wrong
    I suppose that's the reason, wonder how Ohio deals with that problem. I personally would rather not have to pay fees, but then again I don't buy the volume of guns that my friend in OH does, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Wish I could find a recent link, or any link for that matter regarding knife carry laws in our State.

(Wayne County)

Just google "knife carry laws in pennsylvania." You'll get a ton of stuff, even PAFOA links.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    Just google "knife carry laws in pennsylvania." You'll get a ton of stuff, even PAFOA links.
    Thanks I've seen some stuff that says no spring assisted opening knives, and no switchblades.

(Delaware County)

Well, they don't all have to go through an FFL. There are family transfers and Sheriff transfers, but I hear what you're saying...

(Bucks County)

Because it is the law.

Because people need to feel a certain way despite the factual information.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Well, they don't all have to go through an FFL. There are family transfers and Sheriff transfers, but I hear what you're saying...
    Yeah I guess I shouldn't complain it's not as strict as some states laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    How does PA stack up to other states as far as strictness on gun control? I always thought that we were one of the freest states when it came to our gun laws, is this not true?
    In most ways it's better here than most states. We have open carry and very few restrictions on where we can carry, even compared with many "gun friendly" states. In this particular case, our law requires that handguns be transferred by an FFL (or fantasy-sheriff). Federal law requires it only for interstate transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    They dont want the pistols just being passed around through private sales
    Fixed it for ya
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast