Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default What is enough power?

I know this has been discussed endlessly, but lately, I've seen news about it. I've read where shootings involving .38 caliber or 9 mm have been ineffective in stopping bad guys. This happened even after multiple hits. Just look at the congress woman from Arizona. She was shot point blank with a 9mm. I carry a 2 inch barrel .38 revolver now and I am thinking of upgrading. Any opinions???

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What is enough power?

.45 with +P HP

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I know this has been discussed endlessly, but lately, I've seen news about it. I've read where shootings involving .38 caliber or 9 mm have been ineffective in stopping bad guys. This happened even after multiple hits. Just look at the congress woman from Arizona. She was shot point blank with a 9mm. I carry a 2 inch barrel .38 revolver now and I am thinking of upgrading. Any opinions???
    Its about stopping an attacker from hurting you or your family... not killing them. a 9mm will stop an attack as long as shot placement is correctly done, also use the correct type of self defense ammo...

WWB is NOT defense ammo
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

If you want more firepower...fire more than once.
    It's shot placement, not the size of the bullet that will determine the outcome. You're fine with a .38.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

9mm doesn't bounce off of people. It can slide through you due to the speed and shape of the bullet with a FMJ without causing as much damage as it could or should.

But any modern and decently performing HP makes 9mm a solid performer. .38 isn't much different being similar in size / shape. Just get a known good performing round that shoots well in your gun and call it a day.

You carry wheel, which already gives up capacity in the name of stalwart reliability. If you're feeling undergunned, (you aren't) maybe move up to a .357 capable gun? You can still shoot .38 out of that too and .357 if you want. Ammo choice and shot placement is still going to be important almost no matter what you choose. If carrying a .45 makes you feel better. Do it. Try one, buy one... etc. But I think you'll be pretty OK with .38 and a good defensive loading.

(Jefferson County)

No handgun has "enough power", if they did we wouldn't need rifles on the battlefield.

Death or incapacitation isn't an exact science. Person A might be killed by hitting them in the head with a double stuffed feather pillow. While person B might walk away with having 6 .44magnum bullet pass completely through him.

People have survived a .45acp to their melon, others have died from a .22rf to their thigh.

The .38spl cartridge has put down plenty of thugs in the last 100+ years since it was developed. It really isn't any less effective than a 9mm, 357Sig, 40S&W, .44spl, or 45ACP.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bedford County)

Really great advice coming from everybody on this thread. Hell most of the time I carry my P3AT .380 in favor of my big .45 just because it's more comfortable and less intrusive.

IMHO your best defensive weapon is practice.. practice.. practice..
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Chester County)

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

.50ae out of a desert eagle is the only way to stop an attacker.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Chaos View Post
    .50ae out of a desert eagle is the only way to stop an attacker...
    ...like a boss?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I've read where shootings involving .38 caliber or 9 mm have been ineffective in stopping bad guys. This happened even after multiple hits.

All service caliber rounds are pitiful sight stoppers. As stated before, the only thing that matters is shot placement. Shoot an attacker in the heart, and they will die.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast