Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Lee press/safety feed primer setup

I've had my press set up for a little while, and tonight finally got around to putting on the primer feed system and trying it out (or so I thought).

The primer feed system must mount on the right side of the press, but my press, as it came from the factory, is set up with the gap/primer plunger on the left. I didn't see an obvious way to correct this, and figured I should ask before I do something to screw up a brand new press.

Photo attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Lee press/safety feed primer setup

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I've had my press set up for a little while, and tonight finally got around to putting on the primer feed system and trying it out (or so I thought).

The primer feed system must mount on the right side of the press, but my press, as it came from the factory, is set up with the gap/primer plunger on the left. I didn't see an obvious way to correct this, and figured I should ask before I do something to screw up a brand new press.

Photo attached.
    I'm not the guru on THAT press, but from the looks of it, I would think that to disconnect the ram from the linkage and rotate it 180 degrees in the frame, then reconnect the linkage would do the job.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I'm not the guru on THAT press, but from the looks of it, I would think that to disconnect the ram from the linkage and rotate it 180 degrees in the frame, then reconnect the linkage would do the job.

Flash
    Upon closer inspection, I found that the ram is connected to the linkage via a pin through a sleeve. The pin is flush on both ends, and doesn't look like something that is meant to be removed and reinserted (see photo).

I dug out the directions that came with the press. It pictures the press exactly as mine is. Then, it has a section on installing the safety feed primer system. Imagine that!

Those instructions say to "rotate shellholder insert so that primer arm is on the right side." I removed the primer arm, inserted a sturdy screwdriver, and saw that it would indeed rotate without applying excessive pressure. There is enough resistance that you can't simply twist it around with your bare hands (at least *I* couldn't).

Anyway, some duct tape applied to my vice grips, and a gentle grasp on tube quickly resolved my dilemma. To top it off, despite a scattering of complaints about getting things calibrated just right for smooth operation, the feeder system works like a charm on my press. I may get some rounds reloaded before retirement yet!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cumberland County)

The pin in the pic has a shoulder on it. Larger diameter thru the ram and slightly small thru the linkage. Only know since I updated an older press with the newer style linkage. Older style was pot metal that was very brittle.