Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms / Will

(Philadelphia County)

Default Firearms / Will

Hello all,

I had a question in regard to firearms bequeathed in a Will. It was under my impression that firearms could be bequeathed from father to son, father to grandson without having to be transferred. Furthermore, since a direct heir (son) can legally possess the firearm without having to transfer the name, then why would Pennsylvania State Inheritance tax apply?

I don't think you should get taxed on something that you can legally own in your name without transferring ownership that you (or your father/grandfather) already paid taxed on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? The NRA gave a few lawyers to get in contact with, but that just costs even more money.

Thanks!

Default Re: Firearms / Will

Quote Originally Posted by USMCGRUNT View Post
    Hello all,

I had a question in regard to firearms bequeathed in a Will. It was under my impression that firearms could be bequeathed from father to son, father to grandson without having to be transferred. Furthermore, since a direct heir (son) can legally possess the firearm without having to transfer the name, then why would Pennsylvania State Inheritance tax apply?

I don't think you should get taxed on something that you can legally own in your name without transferring ownership that you (or your father/grandfather) already paid taxed on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? The NRA gave a few lawyers to get in contact with, but that just costs even more money.

Thanks!
    I'm not a lawyer, but from what I understand, you can pass everything on without a transfer that isn't an NFA item.

If it were me, I'd have my wife do it if I died unexpectedly, or a note in the safe saying "here kid, these are my guns, they are for you" or if I was old, I'd just give them to him while I was alive so I could see the smile on his face.

(Allegheny County)

Hello all,

Thanks!
    You can own $50k in your own name. It's not registered anywhere, and no form is required to transfer it. But if you inherit it, it's subject to inheritance tax. Why would a gun worth $50K be any different?

Doesn't matter or its $50K or $50. Govt wants a cut. Doesn't matter if it was previously taxed either. Virtually everything inherited was previously taxed one way or another.

Your feelings are irrelevant.

Which is why I said I wouldn't do it in a will. F those guys and their taxes.

(Chester County)

What guns? Where?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks all for the responses…It just blows my mind they still get their cut from the tax money on taxes you already paid. I’m learning that Pennsylvania is one of seven states to definitively not die in.

Dear Gov…I can’t believe I was left so many Hi-Points and Cobra Arms… 😂

Thanks again for the replies!

(Berks County)

if you were legally worried couldnt you just do a trust and have your kids listed?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    if you were legally worried couldnt you just do a trust and have your kids listed?
    Hi- it is not so much I’m legally worried. I’m worried that the state takes inheritance tax on something that could be owned by me or my children without any paperwork. So why would they pay state taxes on it when it was already taxed.

Sorry for the confusion

(Allegheny County)

Hi- it is not so much I*m legally worried. I*m worried that the state takes inheritance tax on something that could be owned by me or my children without any paperwork. So why would they pay state taxes on it when it was already taxed.

Sorry for the confusion
    Well not only did you pay sales tax on the gun (and maybe the transfer too), but you paid that sales tax with money that was already taxed as income when you made it. Getting fucked with taxes when you die is just the icing on the cake really.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    Well not only did you pay sales tax on the gun (and maybe the transfer too), but you paid that sales tax with money that was already taxed as income when you made it. Getting fucked with taxes when you die is just the icing on the cake really.
    You hit the nail on the head with that!! I can’t believe these PA inheritance taxes. One of seven states apparently. And when I heard the “gun” collection could/would be taxed on top of everything else, I couldn’t believe it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast