Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket

Anyone know much about these guns?

I don't have any use for one of these but for some reason I think they are one of the coolest little guns I've ever seen and I've been looking at them on gunbroker.

Most in the price range I am looking at aren't in the best condition.
    Would it be worth it to have one refinished, etc. if I did get one?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket

they are cute little guys.
    what would you plan on doing with it? while it is tiny, it is not lite weight. not heavy but for it's size it has some mass to it. the "sights" while there, are about useless.
    this one lived in a dresser draw for it's entire previous life and looks the part.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lehigh County)

i inhereted one from my grandfather... love the thing... its really not a carry gun in my opinion as there are some other calibers that pack a hell of alot more punch and only slightly bigger... i like it just because its alomost 100 years old... my grandfathers was made in 1913... and it shoots like it was made yesterday... i polished the slide up to a mirror... eventually i plan to have it sent out and be professionally finished but thats cuz i plan on keeping it and gifting it to my so when he is ready... if you grab one deffinetly post up pictures.. not many people have um anymore...

(Perry County)

I just think they look cool. as I said, i have no need for one so it would be just something to have because I like it. Something to put in the safe and keep for collecting's sake.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    this one lived in a dresser draw for it's entire previous life and looks the part.
    That's a cool picture. The 45ACP round looks freaking gigantic next to the little 1908!

(Perry County)

Well, won an auction for one on gunbroker. $300 and it looks like it's in pretty good condition.

Will post some pics once I get it.

(Jefferson County)

I love those pocket pistols. Someday I'll get one for my collection. I've even considered cheap Spanish knock-off's if I cant get a Colt or FN version.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Anyone know much about these guns?

I don't have any use for one of these but for some reason I think they are one of the coolest little guns I've ever seen and I've been looking at them on gunbroker.

Most in the price range I am looking at aren't in the best condition.
    Would it be worth it to have one refinished, etc. if I did get one?
    You know of course, that if you have it refinished you'll probably knock the value down. If its for your own personal enjoyment where value isn't an issue, refinishing wont matter. But anytime you refinish or "restore" a gun, it depreciates it - with exception when it is restored by a renown gunsmith. ...not your local smith, but a famous gunsmith with accreditation. This kind of restoration is usually in the thousands of dollars to have done.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You know of course, that if you have it refinished you'll probably knock the value down. If its for your own personal enjoyment where value isn't an issue, refinishing wont matter. But anytime you refinish or "restore" a gun, it depreciates it - with exception when it is restored by a renown gunsmith. ...not your local smith, but a famous gunsmith with accreditation. This kind of restoration is usually in the thousands of dollars to have done.
    that's what i figured.

you guys know where i might find a pair of grips like on this 1908?
    http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/2232470...x582543921.jpg

Thats not the one i bought, mine had the black rubber or plastic grips. I like the grips in the pic better though.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; April 6th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    that's what i figured.

you guys know where i might find a pair of grips like on this 1908?
    http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/2232470...x582543921.jpg

Thats not the one i bought, mine had the black rubber or plastic grips. I like the grips in the pic better though.
    good luck trying to find grips like those... you can come across the plastic black ones and the mother of pearl ones from time to time on ebay but ive never seen wooden ones like those for sale anwhere....

as for the refinishing.... unles its in emaculate condition... like it was bought manufactured yesterday... your only looking at a worth of about 300 to 500... however if it is in emaculate condition they are worth around 1300 to 1500 from what ive been able to find... i plan on seding mine out to get that clating that you dont need to lube at all... or nickle plated... since its going to stay mine and then passed down to my kid someday...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast