Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Springfield XD issue..

I got my XD used, the guy had dropped it twice and it wasnt purdy enough for him anymore. Anyway I had put over 1k rounds threw it right off the bat--not a single problem, and probably another 500 since then.

About 2wks ago I went to the range, load 'er up and "click", it was striking the primer but not hard enough to set it off, tried 4other brands including my carry ammo to see if it was just a set of hard primers on the first brand but nothing on any of them besides one american eagle that went off. The striker firing indicator was not traveling freely,seems like the very end had bent a little and since its connected to the striker, if it can't move your gun isn't going off.

I replaced the parts and the gun fires now, But I have to say it really changed my outlook on the XD, the striker indicator is a useless feature anyway, yet it is that fragile and can stop your gun from firing, a big design flaw IMO. All it would take is dropping the gun while bringing it out of your holster and it would be no good to you.

Just something to be careful of for you XD owners..

(Centre County)

Default Re: Springfield XD issue..

Now, before you go head and declear gun fragile, Lets stop and think about something.

You said previous owner dropped gun X2, and aren't pretty no more.

I've dropped gun many times, but never left much of scratch. If gun is dropped hard enough for it to look bad, I have to assume that it wasn't the tribial drop, but rather much harder. Was it dropped from like table or was it dropped from 5th floor?

If you can take picture if parts you replaced, I would like to look at it.

I don't care for an indicater myself, but I find it hard to imagin SA would sell gun with something that fragile

How did you get a parts from SA? Because last i checked, you can not get parts for XD from Springfield - You have to send the gun in for any repair...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

pistolgear.com has some replacement parts for the XD's, but not that one that I can see. I'd be curious also how you got replacement parts, since I like to have fitted replacements in my bag.

I called springfield and they sent them right out, I've heard they won't send them to gunsmiths though. I was just going to order the striker pin indicator, but they even recommended to replace the striker plate, the guide, the spring, and the striker pin, so I got the impression this wasn't the first time they got a call on this. If I can dig the pin outta the trash i'll post a picture a little later, but that was the only part I could see anything wrong with, and it was a very slight bend couldn't have been that much since it was leaving an impression on the primer.

as for the condition, it was only on one corner, it was a little smushed so I filed it down once it gets duracoated it will look good as new. not purdy enough for one person doesn't mean its not fine for the next. and there was no problems around the indicator

I knew this thread would turn into a shit storm, and everyone would accuse me of smashing the XD, but whether you want to admit it or not that pin can stop a whole gun from firing, and it sticks out of the back of the gun if thats not a design flaw I dont know what is.
    Last edited by XD45; December 18th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post

I knew this thread would turn into a shit storm, and everyone would accuse me of smashing the XD, but whether you want to admit it or not that pin can stop a whole gun from firing, and it sticks out of the back of the gun if thats not a design flaw I dont know what is.
    Interesting.

If only someone, somewhere made a reliable, reasonably priced and popular polymer framed pistol that didn't have the striker indicator necessitated by a single action gun without a manual safety.

I suppose the gun would have to be technically double action, though, and it'd still have to have some other sort of action that made the gun safe. You know, so safe that you could call it a "Safe Action" pistol.

The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Interesting.

If only someone, somewhere made a reliable, reasonably priced and popular polymer framed pistol that didn't have the striker indicator necessitated by a single action gun without a manual safety.

I suppose the gun would have to be technically double action, though, and it'd still have to have some other sort of action that made the gun safe. You know, so safe that you could call it a "Safe Action" pistol.

Rep points headed your way!