Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .50 Caliber Restrictions on Game Land Ranges

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and area so this may seem like a stupid question to you guy's. I was at a game lands range 300 the other day and heard a few of the other guy's talking about the do's and dont's at shooting stations. Most are self explanitory such as capacity of magazines and back stops and proper targets but they also brought up restrictions on the .50 caliber Such as a Barret. Is this so? Where could I go to shoot my .50 Calib Barret if I wanted to? I do realize most ranges are restricted to 200 yards and my .50 is over rated for this but what if I wanted to just take a shot or two to test my mounts out or scope, would I be in violation of some law I don't know about? The stations at range 300 do not have any restrictions that I could find on calibers. Who would have the proper info with a list of what is ok and what isn't. I want a hard copy if someone gives me a hassle to prove I am legal. Thanks again for listening an x Arizonian.

(Chester County)

Default Re: .50 Caliber Restrictions on Game Land Ranges

The regulations for state game land ranges are found in 058 Pa Code § 135.181
    This subchapter cited in 58 Pa. Code § 135.41 (relating to State Game Lands).

§ 135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    (a) General provisions. In addition to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) and except as provided in § 135.182 (relating to Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176), the following pertain to lands under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, designated as rifle or handgun ranges:

(1) Rifle and handgun ranges are open from 8 a.m., prevailing time, until sunset Monday through Saturday and from 12 noon to sunset Sundays, unless otherwise posted; except the Sunday immediately preceding the regular antlered and antlerless deer seasons and the regular bear season, when the hours are 8 a.m. to sunset.

(2) A range may be reserved for exclusive use by an organized group from January 1 through October 1. An organized group desiring to reserve the range shall make necessary arrangements through the appropriate regional director or a designee at least 20 days in advance.

(3) An individual may not use the range when in use on days when it is reserved by an organized group.

(4) An individual or an organized group using the range is responsible for keeping the area clean and free of debris, and may not discard, deposit, leave or throw litter except in approved refuse containers. Range users shall remove targets from range backboards when shooting is completed and prior to leaving the range.

(5) The Commission is not responsible for anyone injured on the range. An individual using Commission owned ranges does so at his own risk and assumes all responsibility for injuries to a person or property caused by or to him.

(6) When more than one person is using the range, a range officer shall be designated.

(7) An individual under 16 years of age may not use the range unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.

(8) The appropriate regional director or designee may close a range by posting signs to that effect.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee for military or law enforcement training, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard.

(3) Discharge armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, tracer or multiple projectile ammunition.

(4) Be intoxicated, use or possess an intoxicating beverage or controlled substance on the range.

(5) Possess an automatic weapon.

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(7) Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

Authority

The provisions of this § 135.181 amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 721(a) and 2102(a).

Source

The provisions of this § 135.181 adopted June 19, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 2464; amended December 1, 1995, effective January 7, 1995, 25 Pa.B. 5508; amended March 23, 2007, effective March 24, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 1309. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (290787) to (290788).

Nothing there about caliber.

Welcome to PAFOA !!!
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

I believe the .50 BMG's are typically banned from ranges because of the noise of them, not because they are overkill
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

I have personally witnessed this rifle being fired at SGL #43 a few years ago.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../2200/2289.htm

It's a .95 caliber. I don't think caliber is an issue.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

is the owner an older (70's) gentleman?
    I remember a guy at water and wings, he had a 90 something caliber gun. it had garage door springs attached to it for the recoil..
    FJB

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

That's the 950 JDJ, it's based on the 20mm Vulcan round shortened. I actually have one round given to me by the Dude that makes the cases and projos.

(Perry County)

50 Cals are fine. I often find spent bullets in the dirt pile behind the backstop at the Carlisle Springs 300 yard range. Around here the GC ranges are one of the few places to shoot them.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

Thanks for all the replies,I guess you all are under the same impression as I was that it is more of a noise issue than caliber. I purchased a good pair of Pro Ears last year so I guess if noise bothers the other people I can lend them my old ear protectors until they can get something better. Maybe if noise is a problem a shooting range is not the place for them to hang out. Again thanks for all your openions and be safe and shoot straight.

I guess I missed Dredly's reply. You are stating that .50 cals are banned for noise levels? Where can I find that rule printed in hard copy??

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    is the owner an older (70's) gentleman?
    I remember a guy at water and wings, he had a 90 something caliber gun. it had garage door springs attached to it for the recoil..

It might be the same guy. He looked to be about 80 in my estimation. He used a log propped into the small of his back to help keep himself from being thrown off the bench by the recoil. It was amusing and amazing to see.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast