Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Handgun Sale Question

OK sorry, but I could not find this in any of the stickies.

I have bought and sold to individuals through a FFL. But what about if the buyer actually holds an FFL? (I never sold a gun directly to a gun shop, otherwise I would probably already have my answer).

Is it true that all that needs to happen is I show the buyer (w/ the FFL) my ID, and he pays me and puts it into his books, and that's that? Do I need to verify or ask to see a copy of the FFL? I don't know what to look for; I would probably fall for a MS Word Document if the font looked "government-ish..."

Seems too easy and common-sense to be true?!

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Bones

Default Re: Handgun Sale Question

You can verify FFL status here:
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

And it might depend on if he's buying for his personal collection or to re-sell in his shop.

(Allegheny County)

Seems to me that if you verify his FFL is valid that should be all you need. I know that when I sell a C&R gun and ship it to someone who doesn't have a C&R/FFL of their own, I record the receiving FFL as the buyer and NOT the person who actually paid the money. Point being, you should be relieved of any obligation regarding what happens to the gun after you have transferred it to the receiving FFL and he has it on his books. Of course if I'm wrong someone will speak up...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    And it might depend on if he's buying for his personal collection or to re-sell in his shop.
    Yeah I wondered about that aspect as well...

Basically, it's a potential FTF meet-up for the sale (NOT at a gun shop), but the prospective buyer is a dealer, and said all I need to bring is my DL (and preferably my LTCF), and no PICS needs to be run. He records my info, I hand him the gun, he hands me the cash, and we go our separate ways?

I guess that makes sense, that an FFL doesn't need to run PICS on himself every time he takes a handgun into inventory?

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I just don't want to get myself into a potential jackpot due to ignorance on my part.

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; April 2nd, 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: detail

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Yeah I wondered about that aspect as well...

Basically, it's a potential FTF meet-up for the sale (NOT at a gun shop), but the prospective buyer is a dealer, and said all I need to bring is my DL (and preferably my LTCF), and no PICS needs to be run. He records my info, I hand him the gun, he hands me the cash, and we go our separate ways?

I guess that makes sense, that an FFL doesn't need to run PICS on himself every time he takes a handgun into inventory?

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I just don't want to get myself into a potential jackpot due to ignorance on my part.

Regards,

Bones
    I would ask the guy for his license number ahead of time, check it against the ATF database before the meet, then ask for a file copy to keep for your records.
    If I sell to a FFL that is going to resell the firearm and the sale is not done at their shop (unless it is at a show where the license is displayed), I always require a copy of their license that I file away. I also keep a notebook with all of my purchases and sales/trades.

A sample FFL is shown here:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

(Berks County)

Not to hijack this thread but I'm considering selling one of my XD's to a FFL holder in Massachussets. I've already verified that he is a legit FFL holder ... here is my questions since my local FFL is closed for the weekend.

I know I can send the gun to the FFL, but can I send the hi cap magazines as well? The way I read Mass law is that you require a LTC class A to possess hi cap magazines, so I would assume that FFL holders would be able to take the hi cap mags in and then sell to legal Mass residents.

Does this sound legit?

Thanks

(Northampton County)

If I were selling my handgun to a dealer, the transaction would take place at his place of business or his table at a gun show, not on the street. I'd also get a receipt with the business name when I sell it. Then, I'd save the receipt as proof of legal disposition of the gun.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by surbat6 View Post
    If I were selling my handgun to a dealer, the transaction would take place at his place of business or his table at a gun show, not on the street. I'd also get a receipt with the business name when I sell it. Then, I'd save the receipt as proof of legal disposition of the gun.
    I would also make sure the reciept has the serial number of the fire arm.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by surbat6 View Post
    Except that is not an option, as the prospective buyer has agreed to meet me much closer to my location, as part of my price break...

If I was inclined to drive out to this person's location (whether or not he has a "shop" is inconsequential, as my preferred local FFL is a "kitchen table dealer," and thus does not even have a "shop" per se), the deal would be a no-go from the start, as the price would need to reflect my transportation (gas) costs.

Receipt and bill of sale including serial # are givens, as far as I am concerned. I would never sell or buy without such documentation...

Thanks for the replies...

Regards,

Bones

(Centre County)

If the seller is a legitimate FFL he should not be upset if you ask him to bring a copy of his FFL to show to you and some ID to cross check. If he is hesitant to do this then that is a big red flag! You should also write down the info from the license if he doesn't give you a copy. Again, if he balks at you writing the info down - RED FLAG! An honest FFL has no problems doing things on the up and up. I as a FFL would give you a receipt to sign for me to keep saying this is what I got from you for payment of $xxx. This would protect me in case you were a sleazeball (just an example, don't get riled up ) and later tried to pull some kind of scam on me.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast